355 - Brake bleeding problems | FerrariChat

355 Brake bleeding problems

Discussion in '348/355' started by salbrech, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Hello everyone,

Aimed today replacing the brake and clutch fluid on my '96 F355 GTB, which brake system worked perfectly fine when driving.

Before I started the big job, did a quick pre-test with wheels on. I connected my suction pump (something similar than here ), had the ignition on to have the electric pump running and accumulator charged (as the maintenance manual states), then opened the bleed valve (LHS front, outer bleed valve) and started pumping.

Unfortunately, no brake fluid came out and i just was pulling vacuum without having any brake fluid flow. I opened the bleed valve further (>1 turn open), but still no success. Even tried with different plastic hoses, none of them "implode" with vacuum. Unfortunately I had nobody available to sit in the car and pump with the brake pedal. Also tried without ignition on, same result.

According my maintenance manual, the >'97 version needs an SD1 computer to open some valve of the brake ABS block, however as far I understood, my older '96 version does not need that.

Any idea what I do wrong or anyone experienced similar problems?

Best regards, Simon

2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    It is possible that the bleeder valve may be plugged. Just completely remove it check to see if its plugged. It definitely helps to have someone in the car to pump the pedal, but it is not entirely necessary either.

3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I highly recommend a motive or similar type pressure bleeder.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I too suggest a Motive bleeder. Works everytime.

5. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    thanks a lot for your answers. Looks like I did everything correctly. I guess I will finally upgrade my equipment with a pressurized bleeder. The vacuum pump was anyway never my friend. Best regards, Simon

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    After you been using the pressure bleeder for some time you can tell what calipers are problematic by the amount of flow that comes out. Catch a lot of bad calipers early with that thing.

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I have a Motive for 25 years and recently decided to replace with a new one. You might want to check these out for a similiar cost (Schwaben).

9. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I had a similar issue when I flushed my brakes this year. Like an earlier post said, check your bleeders. Two of mine were plugged with gunk. Remove the bleeder run a wire though it.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    With the Motive type pressure bleeder assist do you still need to turn accessory on and run the abs pump?

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I never had a problem bleeding brakes on my car(except forgetting about the master) until i did my last engine out and did not plug the brake lines. I had let air 8nto the abs system and once i did that not even the Motive would fix it.
    Plugged in my leonardo and in half an hour they were back to rock hard again.
    My point is do not let air get into the abs system or my results say your screwed.

My experience is if they do not bleed pretty easy(make sure you check the master unde r front bonnet) if having trouble then you likely need an sdx

12. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    thanks a lot for all the answers,.. however, one last thing I still do not understand properly: why the electric pump has to be on and accumulator pressurizsed? when the flushing is done without the pedal, it should not really matter, does it?

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What size/thread are the brake line caps?