Bradan twin turbo 355 build. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Bradan twin turbo 355 build.

Discussion in '348/355' started by BRADAN, Mar 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just out of curiosity... what will adding a turbo do to the exhaust note of the car, which has long been one of the defining characteristics of the 355? Are you expecting there to be little difference, taking steps to minimise any impact in that regard, or anticipating an alternative aural quality for the car? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    It should sound like a 355 still with wastegate, blow off valve, and turbos noise. If anything the intake noise is going to be intense.

3. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Neat - if at all possible, it'd be very interesting to get a side-by-side noise comparison of the Braden 355 Turbo with a stock 355. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Any reason for the stiffer valve springs? Only reason I ask is that the stockers can handle 9-10k rpm, do you plan to spin it higher? Are you going aftermarket cams or do you plan to widen the lobe separation at all to suit the boosted application? This is definitely an interesting project. Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate the engineering.

5. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    It's not about rpm. The OEM valvetrain is designed to work under vacuum. If we run let's say 20 lbs of boost, the valve springs now have 20 lbs of pressure to work against. So a 50 lb valve spring now just became a 30 lb spring. Decreased spring pressure runs the risk of valve float at higher rpm. We increase spring pressure 50 lbs over factory just to stay safe. The plan is to run 14 lbs of boost on 93 octane and 20-25 on E85.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #131 INTMD8, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
    Boost doesn't have too much to do with needing more valvespring pressure. Approaching IVC, intake manifold pressure and cylinder pressure should be near equalized and as soon as IVC occurs you start the compression cycle.

So, pressures on the intake side effect valvetrain stability to a small degree but where stock valvesprings become a real problem on a turbo motor is EVC. When the exhaust valve tries to close against all of the exhaust backpressure (which on a responsive street based system can typically be 2x intake manifold pressure) it can bounce on the seat causing power to drop dramatically.

As for the cam timing, widening the LSA would likely just reduce horsepower (from the tests I've done). Just like dropping the compression ratio ;)

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I saw a pretty trick setup in a Caddi SVT. They had three different tanks. The regular gas tank, then a custom tank that held E85 in the trunk, and another smaller tank in the spare tire space for methanol.

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Cool, good info. The reason I ask is I thought that overlap wasn't great for boosted motors, and the stock Ferrari valve timing has a pretty tight lobe separation and a decent amount of overlap. Granted, everything I know about boosted applications is on low rpm pushrod v8's so things may work a lot differently.

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Many say that overlap is not good on a boosted engine and I once thought the same. My experience is with American V8's (many street cars and some approaching 1800hp/8500+rpm). I've tried several reverse split and wide LSA cams and from my testing, within reason overlap=power and the best turbo cams have very similar specs to what you would use on a naturally aspirated car. Any time I made no changes to a combination but reducing overlap with a wider LSA, power would drop. (and that is even with combinations that had more than 2-1 exhaust to boost pressure)

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I'll get another F355 when this project completes. One of the most beautiful Ferrari's ever but could use a little more oomph!

$50K without a core? Seems pretty reasonable to me for a zero timed engine...

11. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Apparently there isn't a lot of E85 in NJ stations - hopefully by the time this build is done there will be.

Erik

12. nuclear

nuclear Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    Olympia WA.
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Inconel? For the love of God. We used monel and inconel in the primary systems of the nuke plant I worked at. Big $. What am I getting myself in to?! It would be cheaper to be a crack addict!

13. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Yes it would. But you can't drive a crack pipe.

Not that I've heard anyway.

14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well, the user might think they're driving the crack pipe. :eek:

I reckon this car would be a lot more fun though. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Several valve train experts would state that both sides need attention. Many times however the stock springs are adequate when factoring in the additional boost. A plan for stiffer springs makes a lot of sense.

He's gonna need some serious injectors to keep up with e85 under boost.

Mark

16. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I was always told both sides need attention for various reasons. You could shim the spring sometimes to increase the spring pressure. The F355 spring we found binds and needs a new spring manufactured to increase the pressure.

Yep, 850CC should cut it.

17. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #142 BRADAN, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  19. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Not a big fan of kevlar clutches, glaze them once and they are done. However, much cheaper way to hold the power when compared to a dual disc setup and much more street friendly than a super stiff pressure plate. So many different trade offs.

I am sure that you made the best comprise for your application. How much torque is that sucker rated for?

20. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    This project looks like a train wreck just waiting to happen. It will work, but for how long is the question?

21. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Good work Braden...can't wait to see it finished.

22. LmnsBlu355

LmnsBlu355 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jordan S.
    I'm curious....What are you basing this on?

23. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    #148 jcosta79, May 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hmmmm...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I would have thought the same thing if I didn't know that Bradan is one of the best Ferrari shops in the U.S.

They know what they are doing.

25. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I would normally agree with you and understand forced induction has a bad reputation. We are fully reworking and reinforcing the engine to support up to 1,000 hp but will be running it at half of power capacity. Lower compression and conservative boost will make this package very durable. If we were putting turbos on a stock engine it would be a disaster.