Bradan Mondial T major service. | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Bradan Mondial T major service.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BRADAN, Apr 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just read all 18 pages, can't believe I missed this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    I had a similar scenario with a major performed by a trusted shop only to have throwout bearing issue and brand new water pump failure. Total service topped out around $10k and required multiple dealer and original shop visits to isolate mysterious water vapor/odor at high RMP. Everything worked out fine after second engine drop. Keep the faith...

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Just last week I was asked to change a cam belt and cam seals on a friends V6 Mitsubishi Magna.

They wanted it done that day, because they were leaving on holidays the next day to show off their new daughter to their parents.

They supplied the parts-cam belt, seals and tensioner & bearings.

I pulled it apart and was then in two minds about replacing the water pump while I was "in there". :eek:

**I own the exact same car. 2 years ago I did the same job and didn't replace the water pump because it was not leaking. 3 weeks later.................the water pump started leaking. Had to pull it back apart to change the water pump. Another 4 hrs of my life wasted. :rolleyes:**

I went and got a new water pump. Parts man gave me trade price, $165 down to $99. I also got two new belts because the old ones were perished. All parts heavily discounted.

Was total $160 extra in parts. I finished the job and took the car around to his g/f. I told her about the extra parts that I replaced and she got upset. I showed her the old parts that I placed in the trunk and explained the importantance of having good belts and a new water pump when driving in outback Australia.

Said they don't have that sort of money etc.etc. Then I felt bad that I replaced the water pump and belts.

Anywho, I told her to pay me when she can and left it at that. They went to their parents place for a week. Total 1500 mile return trip. They both came home and my friend brought around the cash.

He apologised for his g/f getting upset and then told me that he was quoted $800 from the dealer to JUST to change the cam belt. And he supplied the parts.

If they were to change the water pump also, it was $1400 total with water pump. And that was him still supplying $200 worth of cam belt/tensioners etc.

He was very happy as he saved well over $1000 because I did the job for him, for free. He said the car ran perfect and couldn't thank me enough. Other mechanics in town were not much cheaper in their quotes he said.

I explained to him that on a trip out of town, it would have been a bastard if the water pump leaked.

1-He would lose his coolant, not notice, keep driving and blow a head gasket/s or sieze the engine.

2-He would see the leak, keep stopping and filling it up and baby the car there and back. Or just turn around and come straight home.

3-He would have to stop and have the water pump replaced by a mechanic out in the middle of nowhere. He would wait the next day till the parts were driven in and then he would pay another $800 in labour, plus add a nights accomodation and food etc.

4-He would bring the car back to me to pull it apart again to replace the leaking water pump.

I do not like doing things twice. :eek:

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #354 hank sound, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    Hi Papster,

Your friend was fortunate that you were his friend:) You absolutely did right by him and his car - and of course, he knew it. Of course, we understand that his gf was just looking out for him at the instant she was upset with you. She obviously didn't know at that time, "just who she was dealing with". By the time their unmarred drive was completed, I'd bet "she got it". :)

You're the tops, baby...... hey, talking about "babies", how's Nicole feeling? :)

Oops ......... little off topic (babies/breast pumps/pee pee pumps/poo poo pumps) - wasn't this about water pumps?

Cheers mate,

Hankster

5. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks Hank baby, you sure have a way with words. :eek::eek:

Nicole is going GREAT also! She can feel both bludgers kicking and playing up. They are going to take after their Dad, that's for sure. :D:D

Hope all has been well in Hank's world! :):)

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    After almost 5 years on this site...I feel I can say that through Hank's eyes, all is well in this world....I am trying to take a page out of his book for myself...life is what you make of it and Hank has made fine wine.

Dave

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lovely words, Hank is a gem!! :)

8. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Neither do I - you were totally right of course.
    Getting people to spend money on lowering their risks is always difficult. In this case it's your ass on the line if things go wrong, even though it was their own skimpyness that got you there. Externalising (blaming someone else) is almost always the first defense people use when things go wrong, no matter what their part in the story was.

9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    When I used to run a workshop, the first thing you would do is contact the customer and explain to them the extra work and cost required to do the job properly. Normally I would explain to them when they booked the car in etc.etc.

Sometimes you come across extra 'stuff' and would contact them requesting their permission to remove and replace. Some would say no, the others would say yes. All depending on their finances, of course.

Sad part is (and it was WELL explained), it's cheaper to replace while in there now, than to pull back apart and replace the part down the track. But don't worry, people are their own worst enemies and would pay for the job twice, weeks or months down the track.

If it's one of our regular customers, we would call and let them know, then fit the part and they would pay us the extra dollar amount days or weeks later when they had the extra funds available.

One new customer brought his car in for a service and told us to "fix everything that needs fixing". How many times have we heard that?

I said we would normally call if there were any major issues, but the car looked well kept and I didn't think it would have needed much work.

I performed the service and only found a worn 'fan' belt. I replaced the belt and added the extra $37 for the cost of the belt onto the invoice. (It was a serpentine belt, only takes 2 mins to change, no labour charge)

Owner came to pick the car up and started to rant and rave about the new belt fitted in front of four other customers that were there picking their cars up. Said he can't afford the extra $37 for the belt and told us he is not paying for it. :rolleyes:

Not a problem, I walked outside and pulled the new belt off and refit his old one. :eek:

We took $37 off the invoice, he paid and left. We never saw him again.

Should I have called my friend to let him know I wanted to replace the water pump and belts.....................maybe.

But I knew deep down he would have trusted my judgement and he was grateful that I did.

10. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #360 Valenzo, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well here we go, its back in for a second time around. Bradan has stepped up as promised to redo the Major service, no charge for labor, but i'm responsible for the parts that can't be reused. Since its being torn down again, i've opted to have the heads drilled for oil passages, bearing replaced and new SRI tensioners and pads. I only wish that i would have been advised on doing this the first time but Bradan has greatly reduced his labor charge to perform these upgrades since he will be in these area doing the Major so i've given him the go ahead.

Also, since he's in here, I'm having him clean up the engine exterior to match the interior by sandblasting my heads and wrinkle painting them red again and since i couldn't locate silver wrinkle paint for the plenums, we are going to wrinkle paint them black, then a silver over coat. Also, i purchased a new Nouvalari exhaust from Glenn and Bradan is going to install it at no labor charge.

Heres some pics of the events as they come, He started on thursday. Hopefully it will get done before the snow starts to accumulate. I bought 2 new Bendpak lifts for its winter home when she gets back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login