Bradan major service round 2 | FerrariChat

Bradan major service round 2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BRADAN, Jan 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #1 BRADAN, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Looks good. Wish you both well.

Sincerely,

Joe

3. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Please let there be a happy ending. This major service have been going on so long, that my car is soon due for its next major!

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    Wow, I did not realize the t model has a timing chain?
    Thanks for sharing the photos!

-Mike

5. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    The chains are the primary drive for the timing belt drive gear and oil pump. The camshafts are driven by a timing belt, albeit a single belt as opposed to a pair of belts.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Jan 9, 2012
    Thanks Josh, I learn something new everyday on this board! Hope all is well !
    I see where the chain is used in this diagram for a Mondial t.
    -Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Yes, my car should be a great lesson for all current and expecting owners. Of course the full write up on my car is here as well but this new thread should be even more enlightening.

Its a lesson in, know what you want and express what you expect before going in to a major service. Your service provider is not a mind reader and nor are we. Strong preliminary, during and after communications are KEY. Do your research beforehand

My car is back for round two, and while its there, Bradan is fixing things that should have been done in round one and updating other areas of concern for little or no additional labor charges. They have stepped up, and so far, have done right by me in every way. We reached a fair deal on having this Major redone.

This round two service will be very interesting to follow, for me, i can't wait for it to be done, for good. My car should be damn near perfect by the end of the month. Its had two complete majors within 2500 miles and some nice new modern updates, using the very best parts available today, from the best in the business (SRI and Ricambi) and will be one sweet Mondial T when Bradan is finally done. Its a damn good thing we had the bearing replaced on round two, its was discovered to be in backwards and missing a snap ring. dodged a bullet there.

Proceed...

Insert popcorn eating moticon here

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, Jan 9, 2012
    Ted, nicely done, -interested to know how it will turn out, but you know its a Ferrari, good til the next unexpected surprise!
    All the best
    -Mike

9. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #9 BRADAN, Jan 9, 2012
    We actually lucked out in a unique situation. By looking at the pictures of the front cover you can see the updated style bearing is installed. Major service round 1 we noted this and moved on.

Because of the whole situation I did not want to vouch for anything and suggested we open it up and redo the bearing update. Inside I found the snap ring was missing on the larger exterior bearing. Today I found both tensioner pads in the following condition. Did the original tech just replace the exterior bearing?

10. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #10 BRADAN, Jan 9, 2012
  11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    :( uuugh let this be a lesson to you, the perspective 348/Mondial T owner, and the current owner who is facing a Major, have this area inspected and serviced regardless. If a Major has been done, get documentation that these parts were done.

I was under the impression that ALL of this stuff is done in a Major, apparently not unless you ask for it!

I think its best to purchase a car that is due for a Major over one that has "just serviced" in the selling points, you just can't be sure what was done and whats was over looked.

12. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Wow. Did the car have a complete service history record?

Ted, in this situation you got lucky - could have been much worse!

Erik

13. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #13 full_garage, Jan 9, 2012
    Ted

I was at Bradan the other day signing off on my GT4 prior to paint- Had the chance to talk with Dan at great length about your car- I had the advantage of looking over the car when it was for sale at Manhattan motorcars so I've followed the story of your purchase and the subsequent services with great interest.

Since I know a thing or two about wrenching on Ferraris I really think the thought process and the assumptions made during the Bradan Major were the same assumptions that anyone would make on a $30K-ish Mondial T- Don't kill the customer with all the nickel and dime stuff "While we're in there", but replace the stuff we all know wears fast on these cars. I've heard far, far worse horror stories on any number of expensive exotics, so I think some of the posters here were right- even though it's kind of a clusterf@@k, disaster has been averted here and I trust you'll wind up with a very sound and gorgeous vehicle.

Plenty of guys who know their way around a Ferrari- not many guys who do everything from annual service to complete frame-off restorations including paint and leather stand behind their work 1000%- I think and I trust that Dan's shop is going to be one of those who do- and as word spreads I think they are going to be in a lot of demand-

14. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Jay.

I appreciate your interest in my Mondial, especially because you saw on the showroom floor at MM before I did, man I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, they really staged it nicely didn't they. I was glad I snatched it up before someone else did.

It was the cleanest Mondial I had seen to date, super clean inside and out and with only a few imperfections considering the age, But i knew regardless of what the service history said, It was going straight to a Ferrari expert before a single mile was driven. So a fellow fchatter referred me to Bradan and off to them it went, for 8 months.

Your right, not every shop or individual mechanic can foresee every potential problem. Bradan certainly had plenty of time and freedom to discover and to advise, to repair and to replace, and considering they had a clueless Ferrari owner on the hook, with an open check book, they could have taken full advantage and really socked it to me...

But they didn't, they replaced only what they assumed was necessary on a 30K-ish Mondial T. They didn't nickel and dime the new owner, they kept it safe and i respect Dan for that but that's why I'm back for round 2, and that savings once offered, has since been lost. I'm approaching the same 30k-ish, in parts and service. Because 'while your in there' stuff, should not be assumed away! Ultimately, I have a 60k-ish Mondial and I couldn't be happier, I can't wait to drive it one day and without the fear of it blowing up.

Dan at Bradan is making good, he IS standing behind his work and decisions 1000% and for that and that alone, he has my business, current and future and my utmost respect and appreciation. I've even asked him to restore another car of mine, soley on his integrity.

15. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Joe-

I actually drove your car before you did- I was really looking for a convertible after buying my 355 Gtb- eventually decided not to go in that direction.

Yeah your car was clean and looked SOO good on the floor under those halogen lights- I don't think there was any way to know ahead of time that there would be issues- I loved the look of the car so much my brother in law stopped in to look at it the day after it was shipped off to Bradan last Winter- texted me "Bummer... she's gone".

The one thing I've learned is that practically ANY Ferrari, lambo or Maserati purchased from a dealer that is more than 10 years old needs a terribly extensive PPI- everything leaks, all the connections go bad, all the motors stop working- it's the 3, 6, 9, 12, 18 months they sit in one place on the showroom floor that really takes it's toll on 15-20 year old rubber and plastic.

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Fantastic!! Looking good. :)

That pad is trashed! I will defintely replace mine when the time comes.

Your car is going to be awesome after round 2 Ted! Take care and enjoy my friend. :)

17. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Ted, looking back, would you have purchased a 3.2 instead? Based on the informations here in the forums, the t's just seems to have more problems, for some reason.

Ace

18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    No, because i believe a T in perfect running order is more enjoyable all the way around and i also believe mine will be pristine when all the servicing and updating is complete. I will have the newest T on the road with the latest of updates possible. The worst part of this all is the waiting. The money, although substantial, will be a distant memory.

We are on schedule for a Jan 31st reunion and i have the top bunk of a new four post lift waiting just for Valenzo.

19. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #19 BRADAN, Jan 13, 2012
  20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    wonderful! progress again....

popcorn in the micro

21. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Good question,

Every time I read about expensive t problems I quake in my boots and lose sleep at night. Having said that, we really love the t, especially the power steering.

Dave

22. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    HISSSSSSSSSSSS!

Blasphemer!

( 3.2 owner here. :) )

23. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'll let you test drive my 3.2 next time we meet Dave, my steering has power when I'm accelerating in a straight line! LOL :)

24. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Exactly why I went 3.2 over t.

Erik

25. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Exactly why I went t over 3.2. :) (and the t has the least amount of power assist of any power steering assisted car I have ever driven).

Regards,
    Jerry