360 - Bradan 360 repair | FerrariChat

360 Bradan 360 repair

Discussion in '360/430' started by BRADAN, Oct 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    tifosi101, billy.gif and E60 M5 like this.
  2. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    tifosi101, f355spider and E60 M5 like this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    When you put atf in did you run it , drive it , for how long ?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Just on the lift for 5 min at a time free spinning to cycle it through the system.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks ..and then i assume you ran gearoil in twice /flush or more ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I did this last year as a proactive measure....seeing all these failures, I’m glad I did

7. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    I'm curious what were the symptoms that customer noticed, just the spilling of milky oil? Would the F1 system work with such a stuff inside the gearbox?

8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    When mine failed, trans fluid mixed with coolant making a really thick sludge in the coolant reservoir. As it heated it bubbled out of the overflow hose.

9. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Everybody with a 360 that hasn't done this change should do it immediately. My car had a great service history and when I pulled mine out it wasn't far from failure. The heat exchanger was absolutely full of crud on the oil side.

10. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Spitting milky oil on the ground from the overflow tube. The car started to overheat also since it was pumping all the coolant into the gearbox.

11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Since the replacement part has the same potential for failure, and since careful monitoring can alert the owner to leakage, it's better to just keep an eye on the heat exchanger and replace when it fails. The gunk you've found when you removed the heat exchanger isn't a sign of failure. It's a sign of gunk in the heat exchanger. If it's not leaking, then it's fine. If it is, then it has to be replaced. You might have gone another 10+ years before it failed, if ever.

To check your heat exchanger, simply open the coolant overflow tank and check for oil film. No oil in the coolant tank equals a good heat exchanger.

If your coolant and transmission oil are changed on schedule and the car is not abused, the heat exchanger could last forever.

hondar and Apollo 11 like this.
  12. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    The issue is that the 360 doesn't have a schedule for coolant change. The reason it's not a failure point in the F355 (same heat exchanger design) is that a major service with engine out forces you to replace the coolant as you have to drain to take the engine out. So you're correct, if coolant is changed "regularly", the heat exchanger should last a long time.
    As for the "car is not abused" comment. I'm not sure what to do of it. I take mine to redline every time I drive it (once it's up to temp of course) and wouldn't call that abusing.

flash32 likes this.
  13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The dead giveaway is the smell of gear oil when you open the coolant expansion tank.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The problem with the heat exchanger is fundamentally a problem with Ferrari owners.
    1. They don't actually drive their cars and they sit in the garage, whereby parts corrode internally as owners wistfully gaze at their cars: "I own a Ferrari".
    2. They then read about failures on the internet and proclaim that it "should be done in ALL cars"
    3. Whereby they replace the part and the car sits in the garage with the new part corroding away to fail in the same way the old did.
    4. And then when the new owner buys a car, they want the lowest mileage possible
    5. Rinse and repeat

66k going 67k miles. 20 years old. Original Heat Exchanger. Functioning perfect. to be replaced if and when it fails.

hondar, s1owcoach, tonino ct and 4 others like this.
  15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Vr—- so true!

tonino ct and vrsurgeon like this.
  16. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Doing mine now. Do to a small leak on one of the boot. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

kes7u likes this.