Boxster-based 60's F1 car | FerrariChat

Boxster-based 60's F1 car

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Tamaren, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    Figured you all might appreciate this, about 8 months ago I decided to sit down and build a race car. I’ve always loved the 60’s F1 cars, and would never dream of affording one. So, I built a Lotus 49. Kinda. It’s based on a lotus 49, but is generally a “homage” to 60’s F1, and has quite a few upgraded parts like brakes, engine, Pushrod suspension, a 6 speed transmission, and a chromoly frame. The engine is a Porsche 3.2 M96, with ITB and straight piped out the back.

The body is in the works, but I rented out a track last week to test suspention and handling, and was thrilled with the results. Here's a short video.

Let me know what you think!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350 and Mang like this.
  2. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    I forgot to say, the second picture has the body photoshopped onto the car- that's not the final body.

I’ve been filming the build, and am hoping to edit my almost 80GB of footage into something over the next week or so. If you’re interested my Instagram is @wesleykagan, and the channel where the final will be posted is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-IytMjnUY6_bAxD7yuZ-w Sorry, right now is just a few clips of some testing.

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    This is the best idea I've heard all year. Please keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    Thank you! Will do!

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Brilliant idea -- and I look forward to the pictures

David_S likes this.
  6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    This is awesome.

Do you have any in-progress pictures of the build?

How are you going about making the body?

Matt

7. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to link 2 videos here, The first is the main one that is a general project overview, and the other is a bit more of an in depth review of some of the build process.

The body will most likely be fiberglass, and formed from a mold. I was considering aluminum but don't have the expertise, and Fiberglass is a lot more cost effective both on construction and repair.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

What's with the stupid music? TG it was short.