Boxing | FerrariChat

Boxing

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Smiles, Aug 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I just had my first training lesson this week.

It was unbelievably tough.

Moving my feet, keeping my hands high for protection, and then jabbing and hooking. It was very tough work.

Not to mention that I can barely skip rope.

This is a GREAT workout. And it's so much fun to spar with someone. 1-2, 3-4!

Anyone else?

Middlewieght Matt

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I did some training for boxing but never actually stepped into the ring. With my profession I can't have any of the marks but it certainly is a great workout. My brother and I used to spar but it was more MMA vs straight boxing.

The thing I couldn't believe after trying it myself is how light some of the boxers are on there feet. I'm a very active male who plays just about every sport but feel so slow on my feet. I feel even slower once I see a fight on tv.

Truly amazing workout though; you work out so many different muscles without even realizing it.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You're right about the feet, Tamas.

It's an interesting mix of keeping your feet light, but being able to slightly plant them for a punch. Mine feel like lead they're so slow.

The simplest things are hard: protecting yourself, keep moving, and hit hard.

It's an outstanding workout. And so much fun.

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I boxed a little when I was in my teens, but hadn't for years. I do the elliptical for about an hour 4x weekly, and weights 2-3x weekly, but wanted to pick up my upper body strength and improve my burst aerobic conditioning, so I began doing heavy bag workouts & added in the jump rope as my warm up.

I usually do the heavy bag 2x week, and it kicks my butt every time. I'll jump rope for about 15 mins prior to the bag workout, and then do 6-8 rounds (60-90 seconds each) with a routine of combinations, movement, and knockout punches, varying what I'll focus on each of the rounds. By the 4th round or so, I think the bag could beat me down if it wanted to...

I was using hand wraps with Title Platinum heavy bag gloves, and now use a set of their gel easy wraps, which are working great. My foot movement has improved markedly, my punches have a lot more oomph & pop, and my only issue is soreness in the upper neck after a workout (I know now why they put ice on the back of a boxer's neck between rounds).

My rope work sucks, mostly due to twin hip replacements & still weighing about 20 pounds too much. It feels good, though, to get through a good workout. My wife has forbidden any ring work, even light sparring. Since she'd know pretty quickly if I violated her edict, I'll stick with the bag. I am considering joining a boxing gym, though, to get a better workout and continue to improve my condition. Of course, if I get stuck in an bar or alley somewhere with a moron who wants to duke it out, I'm pretty confident he won't tell his buddies about the old guy that KO'd him...

I'd recommend the training to anyone, male or female. Don't do the boxaerobics or any fancy stuff, either. There are good videos on training, and there are also several good options for equipment. It's important to get good gloves and wraps, and then to get into a productive routine. I hate jumping rope, but that's probably the part that is best for me to do.

Bob H

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Ive been boxing for years. I just LOVED the physicalness of it. I've slowed down on the sparring a bit. That was my FAVORITE part. But the workout is AMAZING.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I did 30 years of boxing, thai kickboxing, JKD, maphalindo, various silats, various grappling art, and bjj. Boxing was always my core and always how I answer first. Boxing is a great art. Next try some bjj. The combination is awesome.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for saying that, Bob.

I though I was doing something wrong!

Matt

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Matt ,

How's the boxing training going?

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Not great. I've been traveling too much over the past couple of months.

I'll fill you in when I get back on a regular schedule.

Thanks for asking, though!

Matt