Boxer wiring gremlin chased down and smacked | FerrariChat

Boxer wiring gremlin chased down and smacked

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ludwig, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I'm well along the process of finishing the restoration of the Boxer. And I'm now working on a lot of the details including the wiring harness both in terms of its placement, location and being sure that all systems are fully operational. As I was working on the doors and reassembling the lift motors and finishing the details I noticed that the lights were not operational on the driver side however were fully operational on the passenger side. I had 12 volts on the hot side and then noted that the ground side was not continuous to the chassis ground itself. Continuity from the time delay relay to the red/black ground wire was interrupted. I basically then started tracing the wire through the wiring harness trying to figure out where the heck the break could possibly be. Finally I looked at the block connection between the dashboard harness and the door harness which appeared to be completely intact however checking continuity at the pins it was clear that the break was internal at the Block itself. As soon as I took the block apart it was obvious that the offending pin had simply been pushed out of position was not making contact. Repositioning the pin back to its proper position and reassembly the block and everything works. Basically 3 hours of contortion of frustration and thinking that perhaps the dashboard had to come out again to solve the problem. Very sneaky!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EZORED and Qavion like this.
  2. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I feel your pain!!

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Nice work. A buddy who is great at working on electrical things: cars, stereo equipment, really anything with a plug or a battery told me about, Deoxit, a superior cleaning product for electrical contacts. It has helped to resolve some things which were not getting much if any use for 35+ years.

Qavion likes this.
  4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I had the exact same issue just with one of the connectors for the side mirror. Wasted an hour dismantling both mirrors and swabbing them around etc. These small round connectors are obvious very prone to be pushed out of plastic casing upon connecting.

Best, Peter

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They had to change to that type of connector on the injected cars because of the number of wires that now enter the door. I prefer the blade connectors of the older cars myself (I think they're better) but it would need to be the size of kleenex box to fit that many wires.