Boxer vs Countach. | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Boxer vs Countach.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Fan512bbi, Oct 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    nice to see them try to get in an out of a f/l car with those short skirts. after a few trys they seem to not care or figure out how to do it "gracefully". :)

2. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Not quite, Ferrari's answer to the Miura was actually the Daytona. When it was released in 1968/9 there was lamenting about it not being mid-engined like the Miura. The Boxer and the Countach were both released in 1973.

3. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I remember one of my first car models being a yellow LP400 in 1/24 scale (still have it somewhere); I would hold it up and admire it from every possible angle, entranced by its impossibly outrageous lines. If cost of acquisition and maintenance weren't issues, I would love a CT (yellow or orange, please:)). I think the latter models became more outlandish than outrageous, but that is the nature of the persona of the car.

BTW please explain "Periscopa" and forgive my laziness in not researching it myself.

I am a Ferrari guy, but have learned that different cars attract different kinds of enthusiasts. If I didn't have the TR, I would go with the Boxer, however.

4. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Actually the Boxer was introduced in 1971 which was Ferraris answer to the miura, Ferrari took its time releasing the BB until '73

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    OK kids....

Countach concept prototype 1971.
    Boxer concept prototype 1971.

Countach production started 1974.
    Boxer production started 1973.

Things took a little longer to happen at Sant Agata...LOL. If anyone "took their time" it was Lamborghini.

The Daytona was the car Ferrari conceived shortly after the Miura.

The Boxer was the car Ferrari conceived at the same time as the Countach.

I dont think Ferrari cared that much as to want to have to "answer" to each of Lamborghini's flagship[ models. I think Ferrari simply had their own engineering developmental programs and agenda that they were happy to pursue. If it was noted that Lamborghini's mid-engined Miura worked well on the street, then that was but one aspect of consideration by Ferrari's engineers, but the battle between the two companies was mostly in the minds of journalists and enthusiasts. For sure, the engineers of both companies kept an eye on what each other was doing, but they were not exactly at each others throats as if usually made out. If you speak to some of the engineers of the period that built the cars, this is what is apparent.

Joe

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Actually, I think youd have fun researching it, as you should!
    Joe

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thanks for the clarification.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You know, I pulled out my copy of Road & Track's much-vaunted "The 100 Greatest Cars of 100 Years" issue (2000), and there on the Cover is the LP400!!

Didnt notice a Boxer though......but, Im still looking, and will report back. ;-)

OK, OK, theyre BOTH great cars!

Joe

9. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    R&T is really a bad magazine, all the articles are bs PR rehashes from the mfrs., the same with the rest of them, thought that was the same rag that compared or dissed the CT getting out in a swank restaurants valet with Farrah Fawcett in a CT vs Cameron Diaz or someone similar in a Gallardo

Must have missed the Forza article stating the BB was judged #3 of the 10 greatest Ferraris post 1970.

BBLMS and the Comp BBs rule the historic Ferrari race series, I'd really like to see a Countach entered for fun to see how one would do.

10. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Given that it is a "Ferrari" race series, I doubt the Countach would be let in.

If entry was limited to those cars raced around the time of the BBLM, egad, the BBLMs would be tiny specs... in the rearview mirrors of Porsche 935s.

In a way, it is silly to keep comparing the two. The key is to own one of each, that way the argument can be settled without resorting to the internet.

11. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Apparently a device incorporating the rear view mirror and a modified roofline. That Lambo registry site has beautiful pics of CTs!

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks. And Bravo for bothering to research it. I knew youd enjoy the site.
    Joe

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

ditto.

14. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Makes absolutely no sense. Jaeger gauges are not found on a kit. Their are many unique style Italian dashes to be found.

A lot depends on how well the car is in tune. If the carbs are not set correctly, the car will not run well. The same holds true for a BB.

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

OUTSTANDING John !!!!!!!!!

16. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Both models of the car be found for 75K+/- today, in average typical condition. - Less the early and rare Countach autos, and the 365 BB.

The early clean Countach (LP 400) is much more expensive than a 365 BB.

17. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

The race prepped BB has very little in common with the production car. The car did not do well at LeMans. I have little interest in modified cars that race at LeMans, and have more interest in production street GT autos. - My personal views.

18. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Do you have experience behind the wheel of these early cars that you talk about ? Have you ever driven on a few fun runs, with these early cars you have spoken about ?

- Never had any overheating or fuse box issue, you have spoken about.

race car ? As in a car that is modified ? Oil starvation on a wet sump car, can be overcome with modifications. 365 BB is a wet sump as well. I hope the BB meets your requirements for a practical race car, with the engine mounted up high ?

Is your BB stock ?

Every driver has different skills.

Don't compare modern cars with classics ! - Perhaps a 355 can leave a 250 GTO ?

19. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The wing was an option.

Thankfully most European cars do not have the wing. The Americans lapped up the wing, while the Europeans were more tasteful.

20. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Both cars are superb

BOTH designs are pure art

The cars handle differently

Both cars have different + and - characteristics

Perfomance will largely depend on what kind of mechanic you have

21. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Excellent post :) no more can be said now.

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Absolutely!

23. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Actually the competition BB not the BBLM you are thinking of was almost a stock Boxer with a few exceptions

24. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    The BBLMs do rule the disc brake class vs Daytonas and other comp Ferraris so the high engine center of gravity arguement is not valid and overplayed, true the BBLMs didn't win at LeMans but could out brake and the 935s easily though were underpowered compared to the 700 hp turbos, read ex racers Tony As comments on his experience with them on his website

25. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Chalk up another win for the bull.

I like both cars but come on guys its the Countach regardless of what year it was the very first "Supercar" out there. Thats just my opinion so please do not return fire.