Boxer Spark Plugs | FerrariChat

Boxer Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Drew Altemara, Oct 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I have been using NGK BP6ES (7333) plugs in my 1979 Boxer for 20 plus years with good results. My car is still running on the original Dinoplex.

It appears NGK has discontinued this plug and is recommending the resistor plug BPR6ES (7331).

What have you guys used recently.

Drew Altemara

2. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I have no problems with the BPR6ES.

3. clinton

clinton Rookie

Feb 16, 2013
    Houston
    Try champion copper plugs. Don't be tempted to use platinum or iridium plugs, they won't work as well.
    Champion was probably the original brand plug in your car.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    here in germany it is not so easy anymore to get those champion plugs, but still available
    and I still have 3 sets of new champion N6YC in stock :)

but I wonder: the conversion list says champion N6YC is equal to NGK BP8ES, but you use BP6ES

5. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
  6. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Thanks for the comments. I tried buying from some of the folks on ebay and amazon that advertised the BP6ES but nobody had any. Though I'm tempted to try the resistor plug BPR6ES I'm going to a Champion N7YC. I realize the Boxer operating manual specifies a N6Y plug but that seems a little too cold for me. The N7Y converts to the BP6ES and the C (for copper) sounds like a good idea for a buck more.

Drew

7. clinton

clinton Rookie

Feb 16, 2013
    Houston
    I'm going by memory here. In my early testarossa it called for champion A6G plugs. Many years ago when I changed the plugs, the first time I found champion part number 809 was the best option. I've used them ever since and have had excellent results.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk