Boxer Major In A Not So Mega Garage | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Boxer Major In A Not So Mega Garage

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Dave Bendl, Nov 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Makes for a wondeful sunday am read...thanks for taking the time to document all of this...really nicely done !

2. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks!

3. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #103 Dave Bendl, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Marelli Dinoplex electronic ignition unit is mounted to the firewall just behind the passenger area with three 6mm nuts (photo 1). It is comprised of three epoxy encapsulated (non serviceable) modules. The main body contains capacitors with heat sink fins. The electronic ignition, and rev limiter modules ride piggyback to the main and are attached with 4mm screws. Each piggyback unit has both male & female spade connectors permanently embedded within epoxy.

To increase the reliability of the unit, all connections are checked and cleaned including the main connector and mating spades (photo 3). The piggyback modules are removed by removal of the 4mm screws (photo 2) and pulling the module away from the main. After cleaning all connections, silicone grease is placed around the connection to prevent moisture from entering. The epoxy is also checked for any cracks or openings which would also allow water to enter and damage the electronics.

I have heard one of the main killers of these units is voltage spikes. Spikes can be brought on by a poorly maintained and or an old battery, jump starting, and or poor electrical connections including grounds.

I plan to keep the Dinoplex operational as long as possible to maintain the originality of this car, so going the extra preventative maintenance mile may well be worth the effort.

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dave,

As always excellent work!

In regards to the Dinoplex... Ensuring quality electrical connections will no doubt help, however, given that the Dinoplex can (and will) fail without warning, it would be best to change it now (while you have direct access to it) with either a MSD unit or a modified Dinoplex with it's insides replaced. After all the hard you have done, it would be nasty to have the car fail at some point do to a cranky the Dinoplex.

If you do not decided to change it, perhaps some signal conditioning (TVS diodes, etc) of the Dinoplex's inputs may avert or minimize the failure(s)? The TVS diodes would minimize the effects of an overvoltage condition by clamping the Dinoplex's voltage to an acceptable level. Anyway, just a thought.

Keep up the great work and write-up!

Cheers,

Sam

5. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Sound advice

6. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks for the advise Sam.
    If I were to add an MSD unit, I would really need to think it through so the unit could be quick dismounted/disconnected from the car, and the Dinoplex reconnected prior to points judging or Coppa competitions during field concours. It would also need to be mounted without any modifications or added drill holes anywhere on the car.
    I enjoy driving, maintaining, and participating in concours competition with my Boxer so maintaining originality is high on my list. In some respects I'm a boring purist, but that's the way I want to maintain this car.

If the MSD unit doesn't make the same distinctive Dinoplex audio note, (as in an MSD mounted in Dinoplex housing) it could very well be detected by judges and points deducted. Maybe not in French style judging, but certainly in points judging. From what I have witnessed, professional judges do inspect and listen very closely to ensure the car has an original, and operational Dinoplex during a "key on" test (prior to engine start), knowing that many have been modified with MSD's.

I have never heard of the TVS diode idea. I'll have to check the archives and see what I can find or can you supply a link? If not, you might consider doing a writeup on the subject.
    Take care,
    Dave

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dave,

I totally understand your concerns about originality... However, there is also the case where your Dinoplex could bail at the time of judging your car would not start... The probability is there, the question is how high? As for the judges being able to ascertain the note of the electronics, this I could easily argue. Some level of high frequency noise could be introduced by the Dinoplex, but I would suspect that this is really Dinoplex (internal component differences and age related changes, internal design changes during the Dinoplex's manufacturing lifespan, etc) and installation specific (grounding issues, electrical choke/industor installation, etc). I would be very happy to argue with any judge that has the "ability" to differentiate the sounds emitted by electronics... and aged ones at that. I been involved with electronics for over 35 years and even my ears are not that sensitive :) ... perhaps they are just getting old :) ....

As for mounting the MSD... I, too, am somewhat of a purist and so I made a simple backing plate that mounts to the original Dinoplex's mounting studs (or bolts... I can't remember... see age is setting in). I then mounted my MSD to the backing plate. Thus no mounting modifications needed and the car can be reverted back to stock quite easily/quickly.

However, one change that must be done is one of the signal wires must be separated (dare I say cut) for the MSD installation. So, reverting this change would entail a reconnect of this wire... however with the use of some heat shrink tubing and a soldered connection, the ability of a mortal eye to see this would be extremely difficult. At any rate, I do understand your dilemma.

As for the TVS diodes... you will not find these in any Ferrari archives. This was me thinking out loud of using a Transient Voltage Suppressor (TVS) diode in order to minimize the effects of a transient overvoltage condition and thus possibly preventing/minimizing at least one known failure mode of the Dinoplex. TVS diodes are a class of Zener diodes that clamp a signal's voltage level. They are quite a bit beefier (i.e. can handle more current and thus dissipate more power) and faster in operation than typical Zener diodes. I use them frequently in order to minimize the effects of temporary overvoltage (end user misuse or electrostatic discharge ESD) conditions in Industrial equipment. In theory they should work quite well, are quite inexpensive, and would be easy to install. However, not knowing the full electrical characteristic of what causes the Dinoplex to fail would make the selection a bit of a guess. That being said, there would be no harm in using them and would have the potential of minimizing a Dinoplex failure...

As for a write up on them... TVS diode information is all over the web. They are certainly not new. How and which ones that would be the most effective for the Dinoplex would involve some level of analysis of the Dinoplex's internals... I could make some educated guesses as which ones I would select, but knowing how detail oriented I can be my write up would be more of a thesis than a quick blurb (I tend to over engineer things). Perhaps when I get some spare time I will look into this further.

Cheers,

Sam

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Interesting info from a seminar I attended as a mechanical engineer working on turbine engines at UAL:
    Lawson Products who make nice (but unoriginal) fasteners had an engineer demo a set up with an expensive torque wrench, and a load cell connected to a large digital display, along with another load cell and large display showing the "clamp" load. He started with a 5/16-XX bolt, and torqued it to 20ft-lbs. The cell read ~9,000#. He then loosened it, and queried the group what would be the clamp force when re-tightened to 20ft-lbs. (The response was mixed). It was lower. I think the number was 5 - 6,000#. He said the reason for this is the surfaces get burnished, and the resulting micro grooves from running the surfaces on top of each other create the higher effective friction. He loosened it, and torqued it back to 20ft-lbs, and the number was lower still. I think ~4 - 5,000#. (I remember the numbers roughly 'cause this seminar was in 1989) He explained that a fresh surface would increase the clamping force, so he removed the nut,and turned it over and re-torqued to 20ft-lbs. The clamp load was over 7,000#. He also demo'd oil, ant-sieze, threadlockers, and non strength graded fasteners. I'm not saying I follow this religiously, also, he works for a company that sells fasteners to the company, but I think the demo was educational.

Your motor looks fantastic. Like new! Your exhaust system looks very nice. Are those cats? Thanks for the post of your service.

9. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #109 Dave Bendl, Feb 24, 2008
    The headers were installed with new copper flange gaskets (photo 1) and the modified Borla-Vibrant exhaust system installed. The alternate to the original 4 can Euro exhaust system was retrofitted with (4) 2.25"x12" Vibrant SS mini resonators. The cooling system was filled and air blead of air. With the fuel pump fuses removed, the engine was cranked to build oil pressure and check for leaks. None noted, so it was time for engine start. The fuses were reinstalled and the pumps run to bleed air and check for leaks. With a few cranks the engine fired.

The exhaust sounds great! Throaty idle and aggressive. I took a .mov of idle with a few rev's after oil temp reached normal but I'm having problems uploading it to YouTube. We still have a good 6 weeks of winter left with snow, ice and salt on the roads so a test drive is not yet possible.

After shutdown, the fuel pump fuses were again removed the air tubes disconnected With a warm engine, a compression check was done (photo 2). Below are the results:
    Throttles wide open
    Cyl 1 .... 180 psi
    Cyl 2 .... 175 "
    Cyl 3 .... 180 "
    Cyl 4 .... 180 "
    Cyl 5 .... 175 "
    Cyl 6 .... 180 "
    Cyl 7 .... 175 "
    Cyl 8 .... 180 "
    Cyl 9 .... 185 "
    Cyl 10 .. 185 "
    Cyl 11 .. 185 "
    Cyl 12 .. 185 "

All above well within 10%. A leak down test was planned but ran out of time today.

Dave

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Being a Flat-12 owner, and a wrench turner....I must admit my shame in not tuning into this thread sooner. I'm practically speechless (my fiancee Karen Thanks You for that!) at the level of detail, pictures, and step by step procedures.

Mr. Bendl - truly an amazing and inspirational thread! I sat down and read the whole thread from the beginning tonight, studying pictures, reading and re-reading the narration...Wow! My hat is off to you Dave, for going through the monumental effort of documenting this process for us. I can't wait to hear your exhaust system. I have the Borla 4-Can style system on my TR and I've often considered changing out the mufflers to some other type, like you did on your system.

Again...Thank You!

11. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks Jeff, and I hope it helps all in our flat-12 club. Just finished uploading the video to YouTube. It's a short idle-rev video and once winter is over hope to get a good drive by.

Here's the video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-O_1KL6zQ

Dave

12. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh yeah, I LIKE that exhaust note!
    I'll be looking forward to your spring test run vid.
    John

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, Perma-Tune has Dinoplex units that have been rebuilt with a modern electronic ignition inside ... so it looks OEM yet performs and is reliable like a modern electronic ignition ... http://www.perma-tune.com/ignition-Ferrari-aec-103b.html

14. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #114 Dave Bendl, Mar 6, 2008
    While I finish this project with just a few more components to install, this might be a good time to complete this tread with a summary.

Time Log:
    I didn't log the amount of hours invested in this project, but would estimate between 250-300 hours. There were a number of sub-projects that I tended to while performing the major service. The next time I do the major it should go faster since I will have the procedure documented with 300+ images and a write-up that I will now burn to a CD and print a paper copy backup. The time spent on this project I considered well spent spare time. Turning wrenches on my own cars is a passionate hobby of mine, it helps me unwind from a day at the office, and pass our long winter months. If you plan to do your own engine out major, make sure to allow yourself plenty of time. This is not a weekend project by any means.

Hints:
    If you plan to do your own engine out major service, make a plan of what the service will include. The most valuable tools I used on this project was the 4 post lift, and a digital camera. The camera was invaluable since it helps document a procedure and since my memory isn't as sharp as it once was, the camera is a blessing. Another great thing to have on hand are plenty of zip lock bags. As you disassemble a component, store the hardware in separate bags and identify the bag with a marker. This helps eliminate any "leftover hardware" when you complete the project.

I would thank all who viewed this thread and made comments throughout the project. That's the beauty of F-Chat. While doing a project like this, others can participate as well.

That's about it. Enjoy your Boxer,

Dave

15. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Dave,

Like many others have said, this thread has been a pleasure to read. I will be doing a fully documented Major on my GT4 this fall and I've actually learned quite a bit from peeking over here to 12cyl land and eyeing your thread. It's been a pleasure for sure!! You'll likely see me out in ChiTown this summer sometime as I'm planning a trip or two that way in the 308. (I owe Skip a drink!) Hopefully I'll get to see your gorgeous 512 in person!
    Again, thanks a TON for putting the work into documenting this project!

JIM

16. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Looks georgeous! Fantastic. Looks as new, and has that beautiful "as delivered" from the factory look. Nicest Boxer I've ever seen.

Looks like a concourse winner!

Thanks for posting this incredible effort.

17. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Dave!
    It’s been a pleasure to read and truly an inspiration for us DIYers!
    I shudder to think what that quality of workmanship would have cost in a shop!
    Now get out there and Enjoy!
    John

18. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I am curious are you going to time the camshafts properly with a degree wheel or just line up marks?

19. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Dave, new to your thread but very impressed with your project. I may have missed it but what was the verdict on the condition of the belts and tensioner, close to failure or good for another x miles?
    My reason is mine was done at 7032 and car has 11100 but 4 years have passed. Car is NEVER red lined or driven hard period.
    Maybe you can do a PDF on this and sell it as a how to?

20. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    WOW.....what a read. Great job Dave. Thanks for sharing with all of us. You are fortunate that I do not live close by as I'd be knocking on your garrage door every day just to see the action.

21. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    To Windsock:
    Degree wheel cam timing was completed. See page 3 for details.

To LRPMAN
    See page 2, #25 for T-Belts & bearing details. There were no "smoking guns" found as far as bearings or t-belts, but the water pump bearings were doomed to failure. The water pump was rebuilt during the last major, but I suspect the lip seal that separates the weep chamber may not have been replaced during that major. It was leaking and traces of antifreeze was found on the oil lubricated water pump bearings. I will probably keep the same 7 year schedule for this Boxer's next engine out major service depending on the mileage logged.

Dave

22. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    thanks dave. great thread.

23. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    i went back and read this story again and i have to say, you are a f*cken stud. i can not imagine doing an engine out on my boxer, on my own, in a cramped gagage like that. no way, it would be compleltely hopeless. well done

24. nelson

nelson Rookie

Mar 10, 2011
    CT
    Full Name:
    Nelson Heumann
    Anyone have a workshop repair manual for a 512 BBi that I can obtain?
    Thx,

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Does a thread like this exist for a 512 TR ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk