Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #101 samsaprunoff, Aug 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Everyone,

Just a quick update to let you all know that I have not forgotten about the blocks! In fact, I just received all of the blocks from my machinist last Friday (see attached pic). I am awaiting a few different fuse block covers so as to ensure that all of the covers for all of the cars will fit correctly. I should have all of the covers here this week (some arrive on Wed, and some on Thur/Friday). Once I check fitment, I will begin shipping the blocks. I will post a few more pics of the completed blocks (with bus bars) in the next few days and a few of them installed in my BB. I have been wanting to take a few temperature measurements, but sadly my car has been down with a bad case Fuel mumps ...er pumps. I will post the fuse block temps once my car is operational.

Have a great evening!

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #102 Arvin Grajau, Aug 7, 2007
    remember for me.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

Indeed, I have you on the list!

Cheers,

Sam

4. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #104 Arvin Grajau, Aug 9, 2007
  5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #105 willrace, Aug 9, 2007
    .....I'd better make sure I was still in the count - had to go back to the beginning of the thread (in Feb!! Has it been that long?).

Robert, good to see you're balancing the Southern Hemisphere yin/yan of White Boxers.

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Kurt,

Indeed, I have you on the list! Both your and Robert's cars look absolutely stunning in white!

Cheers,

Sam

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Well, finally, I am shipping the blocks... I am just completing the first few today/tomorrow and and will be shipping them tomorrow. As I stated earlier, I will be shipping them in more or less the order that I received PMs, e-mails, or thread postings. I did bump up a few people, as their blocks were really on their last legs. I will post some pics of the completed blocks for the BBi, BB, and the 308 QV series. I have not received any bottom-side pics from the 308 GTSi/GTBi series and so I will wait to build these until I receive these pics... I need these pics to confirm the power bussing of the blocks (although I have obtained this info from the respective user's manuals, the engineer in me likes to confirm these connections).

I will PM or e-mail the interested parties to see if they are still interested and to see how they wish to pay and how me to ship the blocks. As I stated in an earlier post, the pricing is as follows:

$280 USD if paying by cheque/money order
    $298 USD if paying by Credit Card via Paypal

Shipping from Canada to the USA is:

Canada Post XpressPost/USPS $24.49 (5 -7 Day)
    or $22.23 if I use a padded envelope

Canada Post XpeditedPost/USPS $15.76 (10 -11 Day)
    or $14.47 if I use a padded envelope

Fed Ex 2nd day $49.40
    Fed Ex Overnight $58.80

UPS 3-Day $43.57
    UPS Expedited (2 day) $47.44
    UPS Express (Overnight) $57.42

All of the above are trackable, traceable, and are insured for $280 USD (if paying via cheque or money order or $289 USD if paying via credit card through Paypal) . I have experience with all three shippers and have not had an issue with any of them. Be advised that Fed Ex and UPS can charge brokerage fees for processing the package through US customs and may assess any sales and/or importation taxes on the blocks. Fed Ex chages $7.00 as a flat brokerage fee, however, UPS charges an escalating rate (based upon the cost of goods) if sent via UPS Ground and/or 3 day. UPS 2nd Day and Overnight includes the brokerage fee with the shipping charges. XpressPost is via Canada Post and USPS and so their importation charges, if any, are marginal. At any rate, I will label the blocks as Vintage Car Parts in order to minimize your importation taxes.

Shipping to other International destinations will be calculated by the destination address. I only charge what it costs me for shipping (+/- $1 or so). If the actual shipping charge is dramatically less than the online calculation, I will refund this difference.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention... I can also ship the blocks on your Fed Ex or UPS account at no charge.

Cheers,

Sam

8. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    For those of us in no hurry to get them can we use the cheapest shipping possible?

Probably postal service from Canada is the cheapest (and slowest).

9. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #109 Arvin Grajau, Aug 9, 2007
    loks great in all white.Are you carbs or injection.there is one other white 512i in Australia with about 7,000ks on the clock.

10. CanuckCarguy

CanuckCarguy Rookie

Jul 20, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Sam,

I've followed this thread with great interest, and it was only when you talked about the difficulty in getting suppliers to react quickly and the escalating cost of housing that I realized you must be in Alberta. Sure enough, I looked up at your location, and there it was.

Although I'm a TR owner, and won't directly benefit from your project, I must say I'm terribly impressed at the sheer volume of work you've been prepared to undertake on behalf of the Ferrari community, and you make a fellow Albertan proud. If you ever need any help making arrangements for shipping these items, etc, I'm also located in Edmonton and would be happy to help.

If I could, I'd offer assistance of a more technical nature, but having read through your posts, I realize I'm completely outgunned.

Congratulations on all of your efforts! I'll be on the lookout for your car, where do you normally drive it?

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day CanuckCarguy,

Thank you very much for the compliments! Indeed, it has been a lot of work...but a fun type of work! I only wish I had more spare time, as there are literally dozens of other items to update, improve, or remanufacture... Thank you for your assistance offer! I may take you up on it!

As for being a fellow Edmontonian, there are a few of us on here. Myhorse is in Edmonton as well and I seem to remember that he has a TR as well. Sadly, I have not seen him post in a while and so I am unsure if he is still here.

As for driving my BB, sadly, I have not played with the car too much this season... I don't usually just take it out for a leisurely drive (minimal spare time)... usually I have a destination in mind. For a reasonable run, I drive out to St. Albert (via the Yellowhead) and visit my buddy at his restaurant (Nello's... the best Italian food this side of Roma... please forgive the shameless plug!). Sadly, with the crankiness of the Police these days, one has to be really careful where one does some "spirited" driving. Although, I have found a nice stretch of road that is really quiet in the early evening that I am able to wind the car out on. Anyway, send me an e-mail (sams2 at telus dot net) or a PM and we can continue our chat offline.

Cheers,

Sam

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #112 samsaprunoff, Aug 11, 2007
    Good Evening Everyone,

Well, at long last here are some pics of the completed blocks with the bus (shorting) bars installed. With this arrangement of bus bars, these blocks are suitable for the BBi, 308 QV, and 308 injected cars. With the fuses that I installed (for illustration purposes only, as one only gets both blocks and a number of single to dual quick connect adapters), these blocks are for the 308QV.

The bus bars have been giving me a little grief over the last few days. There were two ways of doing these bus bars with one of them as shown, and the other with a wire soldered across the upper terminals. Both ways have merits, but I decided that an actual bus bar is functionally superior than a bus wire. The reason is that the bus bar has more surface and contact area to the connector, and so its resistance will be much lower. Will this difference in resistance really matter? Well, not really, but minimizing any loss through these bus connections is certainly beneficial. Secondly, the bus bars are mechanically superior to the bus wires simply because there is more contact solder area and therefore creates a better bond. In reality, after installation, there is really no mechanical movement around these connector however if one wiggles the connectors then over time the bus wire may fail and create an intermittent connection... which was one of the problems of the original blocks. So, I went with the bus bar approach even though it is much more time consuming to install and looks a bit more mechanical. Further, the bus bars are actually copper, but I went so far as to plate the copper with silver/tin in order to minimize surface oxidation and to improve the look of the bars and indirectly the blocks themselves...

I also have been touching up the solder joints of the connectors from the assembly house. The connections they made are good, but I like more solder surrounding the connector as it contacts the PCB. Again, this was not really necessary, but I really want to do the best I can on these blocks.

Today was a nasty day and so I was unable to ship any blocks today. This evening I completed several sets and will be shipping them on Monday. I am PM'ing people in groups of 5 or so at a time in order to stagger the shipments a bit. I would appreciate those people who I contact to let me know one way or another if you are still interested. This way if you are not interested, I can remove you from the list and then I can offer your blocks to others who are on a wait list. Given the amount of time, etc that I spent on these blocks, I do not know when or if I will do another run. What I can say is that I have received sufficient requests from BBi owners that would like me to create the 2-fuse small block that is used for the BBi's fuel pumps. Paul will be sending me his 2-fuse block this Fall in order for me to recreate a replacement. My guess is sometime late this year or early next I will have these small blocks available.

Anyway, here are the pics...

Cheers,

Sam

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Little tip that gets over looked on boxers, look at the center louvers on the rear decklid. The wide path of louvers between the black covers means carbed. Narrow path of louvers with air box covers closer together means injected. So, all 3 versions of boxers have different rear clamshells.

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

As you all know I have begun shipping the fuse blocks to all those who expressed interest in them. Consequently, I have been contacting people 5 to 7 at a time to see if they are still interested. Sadly, there are a number of people that have not responded to my PMs to let me know one way or another if they are still interested. I would appreciate a response to my PM or a direct e-mail (sams2 at telus dot net) to let me know your intentions, as this way I can either prepare your blocks or remove you from the list. So for all of you that don't check your PMs regularly, please check them to see if you have a message from me.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

15. RobertinArgyle

Sep 22, 2004
    Argyle, Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert C Bledsoe, Jr
    Hey Sam- Are there any left for a late subscriber??

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes, some boxer owners dropped out so he has some left. I love mine.

17. RobertinArgyle

Sep 22, 2004
    Argyle, Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert C Bledsoe, Jr
    Please forgive my ignorance- Do I need just one?

18. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    Just got mine, they are a work of art. I think I'll mount them on my wall instead!!!

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You need one white and one black, they are sold as a pair anyway. The injected cars still dont get the center fuel pump fuel blocks though containing 2 fuses.

20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mark,

I am glad that you like them! Enjoy!

Cheers,

Sam

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

Absolutely! Indeed, as Paul mentioned there has been several people that have not responded to me to let me know if they are still interested in the blocks. Too bad really, however, this is good for people that actually want the blocks. I have added you to the list and will contact you when I have yours ready to go. Please e-mail me direct ([email protected]) with your shipping info (including tel number) and desired block style (BB, BBi, 308, etc).

As for your second question, the blocks are sold as a set (you get one white and one black block) for a total of $280 USD (or $289 if paying via paypal) + shipping. The white blocks are actually different depending on the model and so that it why I must know your car's year and model.

Cheers,

Sam

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Paul is correct in this and that you currently only get one block of each. However, for those that are interested, I will be offering the small (2 fuse) BBi's centre fuel fuse block late this Fall or early January.

Cheers,

Sam

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I want the small blocks as well, I like the fact the original covers fit them like stock. I noticed after a run my pump fuse cover was as hot as a pistol, and thats just the clear cover. My blocks arent melted but running that hot cant be right so they gotta go.

P.

24. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow. I’m surprised that some of the guys that signed up for them didn’t respond.
    I received mine, and although I haven’t had time to install them yet, the original covers fit the new blocks perfectly, and by just looking at the construction of the new blocks, it’s easy to see that they will be a huge improvement over the original meltable ones!
    John

25. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Sam, I will be interested in the small fuse block as well.

Does anybody make the clear covers?