Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Maybe I came over a bit off... I think your fuse boxes will be great. I'll certainly keep them in mind for repairs I do.

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Phil,

Not at all! I did not take it negatively, as your points indicated other options what people can do to sort out their fuseblock issues. How can providing additional information or insight be taken the wrong way?

Perhaps I came across as defensive? I hope not. I just provided additional information or counter points to your post. The info regarding overseas milling, etc was merely to inform people of other options I have been exploring to reduce the cost/price of the blocks. Frankly, I was amazed that the parts (bases) could be made cheaper here.

As towards your original point, ultimately the fuseblock owners are going to do what they feel is best. Some may repair their own, use inline fuses, use aftermarket blocks, or even purchase my or Birdman's blocks. Whatever the case, as long as this discussion/thread raises awareness and possible solutions to these infamous fuse block issues, the mission is accomplished!

Cheers,

Sam

3. rodmd

rodmd Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    NY
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hi Sam,

Great work! If it's not too late please add me to the list.
    Thanks.

Rod

4. mlflotus

mlflotus Rookie

Jan 24, 2004
    I am in favor of the best mechanical/electrical design. Also I would like to purchase a complete kit; fuses included.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I dont need the fuses, I have a pile of them already.

6. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Please count me in, if I am not too late that is. (I'm slow). Mine is a 1973 365BB. Thanx Jimmy

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Rod and Jimmy,

I will put you two on the list!

Cheers,

Sam

8. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Thanx a bunch and much obliged. Jimmy

9. xtrmesaleen

xtrmesaleen Karting

Apr 7, 2006
    Sam - If it's not too late, please add me to your list of interested parties. For 1985 308 GTSi. Looks/sounds like a fantastic item! Thanks!

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Me too SAM please add me to your list as I drive my 308 QV all the time on the Freeway min 2 1/2 hours, just want to be electrically safe ASAP. Thanks

Mike

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff

Good day Mike and Matt,

Thanks for the kudos!

Mike, you are already one the list, and Matt, you have just been added!

Cheers,

Sam

12. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Any idea yet when you'll be able to ship them out Sam?

Thanks!

Hans

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Hans,

Currently, I am awaiting some components before I can send the PCBs to the assembly house, and the stock base material for the machine shop. Both items should be here this week and all should proceed accordingly. The assembly house and the machine shop need roughly 2-3 weeks for their efforts. Consequently, I am hoping to ship them out at the end of the month (April) or within the first week or so of May.

Cheers,

Sam

14. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Great, thanks!

I'll be in Thailand for three weeks just around then, so if I don't respond to any queries about payment of shipping details, could you please hold on to mine a little while until I'm back?

Thanks!

Hans

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff

Good day Hans,

No worries, I put a set aside for you.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Cheers,

Sam

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Buy circuit breakers made to replace your blade fuses and fit in the standard holder
    Fuses are the lost cost solution used by auto manufacturers for mass production. Rallye and race cars use fuses and you can too.
    These circuit breakers will fit in your blade holders and you'll never again have to hunt around for a tool to remove a blown fuse:
    http://www.ktcables.com.au/circuit_breakers.aspx
    also
    http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=15462e39afeafd3/shopdata/0040_Auto+Electrical+Components/0025_Circuit+Breakers/0010_Standard+blade+Fuse+Replacement+Circuit+Breakers/product_overview.shopscript
    and
    http://www.doityourself.com/icat/breakerpullerholders

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good evening Everyone,

Just a status update to let you all know that I have not forgotten about the project, but I am awaiting the PCBs to be assembled and the bases to be machined. Everything is taking a little longer these days, as our local economy is going through a major growth phase... thanks to the exponential oil industry growth just North of us. So, almost all industries are swamped with orders and shortages of employees...Which has created a housing boom that is nuts... Housing prices have been increasing at a rate of 6% per month!

Anyway, I should have the PCBs and the bases within the next 2 weeks. In fact, tomorrow I will be going to the machine shop and will be inspecting the first few "off the presses". These will be the white blocks, as the black stock material has not yet arrived. I will post pics later this weekend.

Cheers,

Sam

18. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    update on fuse boxes?i need one ...looked in side golve box some of wiers are fried

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mo,

Indeed there is an update on these blocks:

1. The assembled printed circuit boards will be shipping either today or tomorrow (Tues) and so I should get them by Wed.

2. The White bases have been CNC machined and are ready for the PCBs and final assembly.

3. The Black Bases have been delayed as the original stock material was of the incorrect thickness. I was supposed to have the material early last week, but was delayed until Friday. When I went in on Sat to pick it up to take it to the machine shop, I discovered that the material's thickness was incorrect. Once I have the correct black stock, the black bases can be machined (takes a few days) and then I can start shipping the blocks.

As for a shipment date... The best case is mid next week (May 23, as this weekend is a long weekend in Canada) and the worst case is the following week after that (May 30).

Once I get the assembled PCBs I will can post some pics of an assembled white fuse block.

My apologies for the delay(s)! for one reason or another everything is taking longer than I would have hoped. On a positive side, I have been actively using my prototypes in my BB for the last few weeks and they work great!

Cheers,

Sam

20. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    What is the latest?

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

I am still waiting for the Black stock material. I called my supplier today to check on its status. I was told that I will have an answer tomorrow. Given the repeated issues I am having with this supplier, I have started to look elsewhere for this stock material... just in case tomorrow's news is not positive. If I get the Black stock material this week, shipping next week looks good.

I have not made it down to the machine shop to pick up the white blocks yet... hence the reason I did not post any pics. I will try to get down there in the next couple of days and when I do, I will post pics of the white block/assembly.

As for the PCBs, they arrived last Thursday from the assembly house. They look excellent! I still need to add the "bus" bars, but this will be done when the blocks are ready to be shipped. These "bus" bars determine the which model the blocks are for (Boxer, 308, etc). Once I have all of the pieces, I will ask all those who are interested to verify their current block's "bus" connections (picture of the back of each fuse block or equivalent). This will not be necessary for the BBs, as I already have this info.

Cheers,

Sam

22. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Just wanted you to know that my Boxer is contemplating a fuse-related issue. I can hear it thinking. In fact, each day since you said you were making these, the car has been plotting, I just know it.

Only you can stop this from happening. Please, score the black material. The life of many circuits hang in the balance.

Okay, now I feel better.

Can't wait to make this upgrade to my car. I'm attacking the circuitry with zeal, and your upgrade will be the foundation. Thanks.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    We still have the middle block to deal with though.

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Adams,

Thank you for the vote of confidence! Now, the pressure is on :) ...

No worries on the Black stock material, as I have found an alternate supplier late yesterday afternoon. It is not the same brand, but will work fine. The only negative is that I must buy an entire sheet... Yikes, I may have a lot more blocks than I anticipated... I will delivering the stock material to the machine shop tomorrow.

I must say that I am very happy and proud of these new blocks. All of the tests passed with flying colors and the quality of the blocks/components are certainly reflective of the marque. I will upload some pics of a completed white block this weekend for all to see.

As for your conspiring fuse-gremlins...well they can conspire, plot, and plan all they want, as soon you will be doing a preemptive strike against them...

Cheers,

Sam

25. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

I could make the small middle block for the BBi's too, but it may be prohibitively expensive given the small quantity required. I would need to get one so that I can determine the mechanical and electrical needs and I would need to know the quantity.

If you or someone could e-mail me some hi res pics of this block and tell me how many need to be made, I could arrive at a price... (Most likely I will have a lot of extra black stock material sitting around and access to a CNC :) )

Cheers,

Sam