News

Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 24, 2007.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Guido,

Indeed I fully understand the efforts that one spends on one's hobbies :) As I mentioned, I can fully appreciate your efforts in your fuse boards and all the time and attention to soldering all of these components. I say this, as I, too, spend a ridiculous amount of time assembling some of my designs. On my side I am usually working on the opposite side of the sizes you do and use very small parts. A lot of the parts I use are about 1.5mm x 0.7mm in size (0.060" x 0.030"), but I am sometimes forced to use even smaller parts (1mm x 0.5mm or even 0.5mm x .25mm). For my prototypes I usually hand assemble the first few boards for testing and evaluation. Afterwards I setup automation assembly equipment to make more, as to hand assemble 300, 400, or more parts on the PCBs is very time consuming (several hours per board)... whereas, automated assembly takes only minutes. As a consequence I always design with scalability in mind... just in case :) . Attached is a picture of one of my recent designs that is all hand assembled (both top and bottom side assembly). Some components have multiple connections (some have "legs" and others are bonded to the part package... called QFN) and these have a separation distance of 0.65mm (0.025") to the smallest of 0.5mm (.020"). Soldering these takes patience, a steady hand, and a very specialized soldering iron and tip. Even so, soldering bridges can result... and they can be somewhat difficult to remove. Although I wear glasses I find that I have to remove them and use no magnification when I am soldering these parts.

As for one's age... I fully understand, as I am a bit younger than you and I also wonder how long I can keep going :).

Anyway, keep up the great work and clearly by your results you are obviously enjoying it!

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe and theunissenguido like this.
  2. tf308

tf308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sam...I’m in for my 308qv

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    OMG..just thought of this. GO TO CHINA! Have them do them for $1 each then sell them for $450...oh wait, doesn't Ferrari do this already? :)

EZORED and turbo-joe like this.