Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Hello, Sam... I'm just checking back to see if you are ready to part with (aka sell) a set of GT4 Fuse Blocks before the cold of winter sets in... :)

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mark,

I have all of the pieces for the blocks, but I have not had the time to fully assemble the whole run (it takes about 1.5 hours per assembly... silver soldering the contacts is really, really time consuming!)... Also, I have done some additional testing and the results were excellent and in fact slightly better than my first design! That being said, I have assembled and delivered a few here and there to those that are/were in need of the them (i.e. their original blocks were causing them grief, etc). If you are in need of a set, send me a direct e-mail (no PMs, as I rarely see/check PMs) with your shipping info, etc and I will get a set out to you in a few days time :)

Cheers,

Sam

3. Guegangster

Guegangster Karting

Apr 24, 2014
    France
    Full Name:
    Julien Guegan
    Hi,

I need to change a melted fuse block on my BB512i. So I am very interrested by yours since I'd rather have this problem sorted once and for all.
    Is it still possible to order one from you? And do you have an estimate of when you could get one ready?

Regards,
    Julien

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Julien,

Indeed it is "possible" to order a set :) ... At the moment I have a few orders a head of you, but could have a set ready in a few weeks time. If you are interested send me a direct e-mail (not PM, as I rarely check them... use the "send email to" selection) with your shipping location and I can e-mail you more details as well as your shipping options. Sadly, I cannot give you an exact completion date, as I am extremely busy with work right now and so I only assemble blocks in whatever spare time I have available.

To anyone else that may be interested... I do not always check the fchat posts nor do I check my PMs and/or my PM mailbox may be full... so if you need to contact me use the "send e-mail to" option, as this reaches my direct e-mail promptly.

Cheers,

Sam

5. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    As I have one of Sam's beautifully produced fuse blocks, let me once again thank him for the service he provides our small community.

Well done Sam!

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day William,

You are too kind! ... and your marketing cheque is in the mail :)

Thanks again for your kind words!

Cheers,

Sam

7. K1010

K1010 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Germany/Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    JK
    @samsaprunoff

your inbox seems to be full:-(

Do you still have a set of your fuse boxes left for sale?

Thx

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Would something like this work? I know it is not original but maybe it would be better? Ron Francis wiring. BlackBox Relay System

BlackBox Relay System
    2014 SEMA AWARD WINNER! This fully programmable, state-of-the-art relay system allows full control of 10 individual relayed circuits. Control power windows, door locks, fuel/water pumps, fans and more with this all-in-one unit. A bluetooth module for BlackBox remote control will be available Spring/Summer of 2016 with both iPhone and Android applications. Module/App sold separately. Dimensions (inches): 9.25 L x 4 W x 1.75 H

Click here for product installation instructions

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day JK,

It is always best to send me a direct e-mail, as I do not monitor my PM inbox here on FChat too much.

As for the Blocks... I actually have lots... however, I have not had too much time to complete the final assembly of them because of my work commitments (about 70 hours a week... oh the joys of being self employed :) ). That being said if you are in a desperate need I can assemble a set over a week or so. Send me an e-mail of what car you have and your shipping address so I can provide you with an approximate cost.

Cheers,

Sam

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #235 samsaprunoff, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day David,

Here is a direct link to the product:

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BX-10

You would need two of these ($299.95US x 2), as each of the Boxer (and 308) blocks (there are two of them) have 9 fuses each for a total of 18 circuits. Secondly, the device states that the maximum fused load is 20A, whereas the Boxer/308 blocks have a few fused 25A circuits and so there could be problems using this device for these high current circuits.

Adding to this it will be a challenge to physically install two of these devices, as each BlackBox device is almost 2x the length of the original block... and you could not reuse the original factory fuse covers :).

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sam,
    I could not download the photos.
    Ron Francis advertises they will build a custom wiring harness?

Dave

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dave,

The photos appear on my browser and so I am unsure why you cannot see them. Perhaps cut and paste the link I provided and you can see the pics on the manufacturer's web site.

As for the custom wiring harness... this is not the issue:

1. The Black Box Devices (BBD) do not have the current capability (Max 20A circuit loads) that is needed for Boxers/308s (25A circuit loads)

2. You need two of the BBD, as there are 18 fuse circuits needed by Boxers/308s... (Injected Boxers have an additional 2 fuse mini block for the fuel pumps). Each BBD supports 10 circuits and so two units would be needed.

3. The BBD are almost 2x the length of the original fuse block and so it would be a challenge to install even one in the original fuse block area.

4. Two BBD will cost just under $600 US + a fair amount labor to install them... and so it is not a cheap nor plug and play solution.

The BBD is an interesting device, but in reality there is no real gain in using them in Boxers/308s... well... in my opinion anyway.

Cheers,

Sam

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sam,
    I can view your photos, no problem. When I tried to download my original post off RF site is when they would not down load. I understand what you are saying about the under current capacity and size of these units..

14. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Is the fuse box still available?

Has it been tested on 308s?

Can you ship to California?

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Sam,

I am not always on F-chat and so it is best contact me via e-mail, otherwise I may not see any posts for several days/weeks.

The blocks are available... sort of... in the sense that I only make a few a month because of my lack of spare time. There is actually a lot of components and steps to make the blocks and have automated most of them... however, the final assembly is still a manual process, as I prefer my soldering skills to that of a semi automatic selective wave.

The fuse block design (Original and mine) are the same for the 308 and Boxer series. However, there is an electrical difference between the injected and carb "white" blocks that affect the input power sharing between some adjacent fuses. To answer your question directly, Yes, I have sold my blocks to a number of 308 users without issue.

Yes, I can ship to California and have done so for a number of members here.

Cheers,

Sam

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ive installed several sets and I can attest to Sam's attention to detail. Good enough for the space shuttle in my opinion.

17. nelson

nelson Rookie

Mar 10, 2011
    CT
    Full Name:
    Nelson Heumann
    Sam,
    I'd like to order a set of your fuse blocks for the 512bbi if that's possible.
    thx,
    Nelson Heumann
    203-246-4097
    [email protected]

18. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Funny - I was just telling someone about Sam's blocks yesterday when I was picking up some trim pieces for the 400. He'd had to rewire a client's BB a few years ago, and repair the blocks as part of the process.

Excellent fuse blocks, I might add - Installed them on mine during Sam's initial run <gulp> 9 or so <yikes!> years ago.

19. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I used Sam's blocks to upgrade my 308 GT4 last year. I agree with Kurt, these are an elegant and solidly engineered solution. The best part (at least for me) is that the OEM fuse block covers fit perfectly, and you can't tell that these aren't OEM unless you pull the covers off.

Highly recommended.

Rgds, Mark

20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Nelson,

I sent you an e-mail yesterday.

Cheers,

Sam

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Kurt,

Excellent! I am glad that you liked them! As for time... wow... it does seem fly right by... yikes.

I hope all is going well with you and your 400GT!

Cheers,

Sam

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul and Mark,

Thank you both for your kind words!

Cheers,

Sam

23. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
    Hi Sam

I just bought an 81 carb boxer in good nick.
    Id like one of your blocks.
    cheers
    john warner

24. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
  25. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

Actually you need "two" blocks :). I just sent you an e-mail with the details.

Cheers,

Sam