Boxer engine/gearbox build | FerrariChat

Boxer engine/gearbox build

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Nov 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With the 308 sold and leaving this tuesday to the new owner, ill have room to spread the boxer out in the garage for an engine-out service. While its out, ill seperate the gearbox from the engine, go through the gearbox complete with photos mainly as a precaution and to install my upgraded differential carrier. Also, the heads will come off to finally replace those time-bomb sodium filled exhaust valves, guides, upgraded seals, some minor port work, rework the headers (if possible) paying attention to the number 6 and 7 primaries that leave so much to be desired, check bottom end (want to do pistons and lightweight rods but I want to keep my wife happy too) and repair as needed but I dont suspect there are any issues. Ill be rebuilding the waterpump, new cam drive bearings, send the distributor to a friend for a curve check and adust and finally install those 365BB cams I have waiting patiently on my parts shelf. To make the cams work mechanically ill need to have a small adapter fabbed up to connect the 512 splined distributor shaft to the keyed 365BB cams, no sweat I know just who ill ask to do that. Ill go through the CIS, coat the headers white as they are 365BB headers, detail the engine bay, plate whatever needs to be plated and see if I can duplicate the texture on the intake plenums and runners so she looks like new again. I have a dyno sheet from when I first got the car, ran it as it was when I got it without checking even so much as the ignition timing - layed down 280HP at the wheels which is just over 320HP using 15% as a loss factor. The factory rating is 340HP which I dont think I would have any problems meeting now that it runs much better than it did 4 years ago, new injectors, banks balanced, AFR adjusted, plates adjusted, timing checked and tweaked. Ill do another dyno run after the mods, im expecting much better numbers. In the end, my goal is to have not only a fully sorted boxer but one that will have much more power than stock, look completely stock, shift like new, have no concerns about a valve breaking or a diff weld breaking. Peace of mind I guess and more fun behind the wheel. Ill start taking it apart this week as my little baby girl allows and keep the pics (and my findings) flowing. Im open to any suggestions, critisizm and the usual great input here.

I want to thank MK E for running my 365BB cams in his software to see how they responded to timing changes in the event the CIS wasnt happy with my ideas. Turns out the CIS might not even have a hiccup with very little reversion in the intake with the agressive am profile and timing. They are night and day to the injected cams as is the power change to be expected - 40+HP gain on paper, flat torque curve that just goes and goes. I suspect the weenie injected cams are used in conjunction with the CIS to meet smog requirements, not that the cams were needed to allow the CIS to work and be happy. Mark did some trick with the software to determine if the CIS was the biggest restriction, turns out its the cams.

Stay tuned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    I will be interested to see how the 365 cams work. I am not really in agreement that it will be successful based on my prior experiences in recamming CIS cars. BBi's were not made to comply with SMOG regs. They were designed and built for the home market. CIS cars world wide and industry wide had very mild cams with RV like overlap even in markets where SMOG was not an issue. Years ago I spent quite a bit of time with Ron Iskiandarian trying cams in a Mercedes 6.9. What a complete waste of time that was.

BB's of both types do respond well to compression and exhaust improvements though. Should be able to find some HP there.

While you are in the distributor throw the plastic advance mech bushings in the garbage where they belong and install some steel pieces.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Thanks Brian, I replaced my nylon advance bushings a couple of years ago with brass ones I believe. They are metal of some kind anyway, the nylon ones were beat up.

I can recurve the WUR's, change when enrichment comes on with the vacuum signal and I can change system pressure to firm up the air plates. I dont expect it to be effortless and im willing to go down that road because nobody has told me from experience that it cant be done, just speculation so we'll see. On the bright side Ill have the stock cams sitting here to fall back on if I just cant get it right, im stubborn though.

4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    #4 2dinos, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This might be a question for Brian. Something I've noticed after many-many hours bent over the running Boxer motor is that the CIS goes crazy if the idle speed / flow gets too low. Is it possible that a higher idle with more aggressive cams might make it happy? Maybe it might be a lot higher like ~500+ revs? On the 6.9 Mercedes, was the auto tranny interferring with the idle speed parameter?

I use to race at the Virginia City Hillclimb put more aggressive cams in his 2Vi, and made it work. He took my first place victory from the previous year, so I'd say it works very well. I don't know what cam recipe he used. IIRC it was an Elgin formulation.

For the wrinkle finish on the intake parts, I used silver wrinkle powder coating.

Also - What plastic bits in the distributor?? Advance mechanism bushing that are plastic??

5. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Ahhah, this is coming at the perfect time for me!
    Time to do the belts etc, plus the new carrier installation on my car.
    I was also thinking about checking the bearings, syncro rings, in the transmission for any wear. I don't know if that can be done without taking the bearings out though?
    And hey, cute kid you guys have!
    John

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Newman,

If you want to know what's gone into the race motors, shoot me an email.

CW

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Will do! Thanks

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Air flow is exactly the issue and I could be wrong but I doubt that with the difference there is in timing numbers that simply raising the idle will be a cure. But the good part is Newman is going to find that out for us and we don't even have to get our hands dirty.

In the 6.9 the auto was an issue but we were not talking about a couple of hundred RPM to make the difference.

In an OE BB distributor the bushings on the advance weight pins that slid in the slots on the cam were plastic. They were trash. They swell and stick on the pins and inhibit proper advance function. All the prior distributors had steel bushings and are far superior.

9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    It's about frikkin' time!!! I've been hoping you would get around to testing the cams in the BBi before mine was in for the rebuild!!! :D :D
    As Paul knows from our discussions, my rebuild was bumped up a few months by a mischievous cam drive bearing......and is getting torn down over the next few days.
    As we spec'ed the details Friday, we've got a slightly adventurous set-up for the build - maybe halfway/two-thirds-in to what we discussed, beyond the forged/new pieces themselves. I'd love to see your results from the 365 cams before mine starts to go back together, but until then, I'm going to stick with the stockers for piece of mind.

And I got to fond-, er, see my carrier for the first time. Purty. I almost don't want to hide it away in the car.

Have you got any info on whether lightened flywheels were used to allow them to idle at less than 1500rpm? We're still trying to figure out how much mass can be removed there.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    My car has piles of emission test reciepts from a Zurich test station, annually in fact with all the tailpipe readings, odometer readings as well. There must have been some requirement there too or why bother annually testing a car that didnt have to be tested or meet any standards for road use?

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Glad you like it, I have one sitting on my desk at home and look at it often. :)

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Definitely lightened. I'll have to check by how much, though.

CW

13. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Even though early on, this thread promises to be one of the best Boxer threads ever. Can't wait to see this braintrust go to work over the next few months!
    W

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    So are you only replacing the exhaust valves if the intakes check out ok? What is the Ferrari protocol when all the guides are replaced? All valves as well regardless?

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Good question, I will be replacing intake and exhaust valves. Ive ordered nothing yet, first it comes apart and after checking valve dimensions ill decide what brand ill use and what guides ill use. Ill be taking the rear bumper and clamshell off tomorrow at which time ill post some pics.

Ive researched over and over regarding the CIS and cam selection, spoken to many people that are CIS gurus on porsches, read porsche threads, vw threads, mercedes threads, read books, etc. Im not worried at all about these 365BB cams working in this application.

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The last full rebuild I did has been some time ago, but it was on a Maserati Merak SS engine with quite a few miles. Surprisingly, the guides were just a little worn and the intakes and ex valves were all within spec. The ex valves were replaced as a matter of precaution due to them being sodium filled. I had Ferrea make me up a set.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

The guides have a reputation for being worn out on these engines which is odd considering the crappy guide seals ferrari uses that let gallons of oil past them. We'll see what she needs once its apart, I am under the impression this car has never had the heads off and the OEM welded carrier will still be in place too. I priced Ferrea, Manley and Si, undecided on a brand as of yet. This afternoon the clamshell and bumper come off and who knows what else, depends on time. Ill do the drop test on an exhaust valve, I hear they break if they roll off the bench and hit the floor when they're brittle. Are there any tests I can do to them other than that to see just how close they may be to breaking? Any engineers out there with some suggestions? My car is an 82 with 37,900kms on it.

18. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Paul - I posit a different failure mechanism. That you valves have sustained 38,000 kilometers suggests that you have a good set. They have withstood the test of time. If the stem diameters are within specification, then I would be tempted to re-use them. The risk of installing new valves is that a manufacturing defect will be discovered at your cost. As it is, the manufacturing quality of the valves in your car were established under someone else's dime.

Failure of sodium filled valves, from reports on F-Chat, seem to be at the junction of the stem and valve body. Perhaps a bad weld. Not unlike the differential carriers, most are good, a few are bad. The bad ones make themselves known. The good ones no one hears about.

Jim S.

19. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The posts/reports on failed custom made aftermarket ex valves are even more rare than that of failed sodium ex valves. Plenty of cars have suffered broken sodium ex valves at mileage higher than that of Paul's car. Better safe than sorry here is my route.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    LOL thats a good one! Carobu went that route with devastating results. I would never even buy a new sodium filled valve let alone re-use a 28 year old one! Ill go with stainless and forget about them. New valves and a new carrier I could use my boxer for commuting to work and back when im done.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Jim ill sell you my used ones, $10 a valve, new ferrari ones are $400 each so thats a great deal. :)

22. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    As for the valve replacement, I wonder what, if any, consideration needs to be given to the difference in weight between the original hollow sodium filled vs the solid steel or SS new ones. The new ones will no doubt weigh more, and I wonder if the valve spring force will be enough to keep them from floating at higher revs?
    I know others have made this change and haven't mentioned the possible problem,,, well at least not here.
    I guess you could buck up to titanium valves for a lighter weight.
    John

23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jim,

From what I have seen posted and have heard is that the failure is typically after some level of valve seat work. If this is the case, then perhaps there is a heat dissipation issue (reduced because of less valve contact area with the seat) and thereby provoking the valve to break. I have had a sodium filled valve failure a long time ago on my first Ferrari (GT4). The engine had around 50K Kms and so the failure was not do to infant mortality. However, the day it happened, the engine temp and outdoor temp were both very cold (engine temp just started warming up, outdoor temp -15C)... so in this case, there may be some evidence regarding a temperature differential provoking a failure. Regardless, I have never seen an absolute reason why these valves have failed... lots of opinions/hypotheses, but no real concrete evidence to prove what actually causes the failure.

Cheers,

Sam

24. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    #24 jselevan, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    Paul - at $10 per valve they would make great paper weights. On second thought, maybe FNA buys used valves at $10 each and resells them at $400?

Emotionally I agree with you 100%. The engine is out, why not renew the valves. Professionally and statistically, however, there is something to be said about 24 proven valves versus 24 unproven new valves. Absent a defect, the failure mode of a valve is the stem wear and clearance in the guide. Solid valves don't snap. If the theory is that sodium-filled valves snap owing to a defective weld, then they should be tested prior to use. Your valves have enjoyed this test.

What was Carobu's experience?

Jim S.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No concerns there, the engine doesnt turn a high enough rpm to have an issue. Ill weigh them both though as I had planned to know the difference anyway.

Carobu rebuilt a carbed boxer engine, im giving them the benefit of the doubt that the customer requested reusing the old valves, only to have one break when the new owner bought the car - or so I understand it. There was a thread here from the owner of that car and the level dissapointment he was experiencing, I think dopplemax was the unfortunate guy. Made a massive mess as you can imagine. Just because a valve has made it this long (and everything has a life-span) doesnt mean it wont fail the next time I start the old girl up. I count myself lucky they are still in tact, its a matter of time and its reality that a stainless steel valve will outlast a sodium filled one which history has already proven not just in a ferrari application.