Boston whaler | FerrariChat

Boston whaler

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by LARRYH, Mar 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Today i spent the day at the Boston Whaler plant in Edgewater Florida ... the timing was so that i could follow the line on the 35 outrage amd see how the boats are built and of course see my new boat near the end of the line . I should qualify that i have owned boats since my first new boat in 1984 and have been a boater since i was 11 years old in the late 60s. And i have been to many boat factories and this was my second visit of the Boston whaler factory... and this 35 outrage is my 6 or 7 th BW. And my second 35 outrage.
    The boats are built different then ANY other boat and are far stronger then any other comparable boat PERIOD...
    THe BW uses a unique hull and liner system and are solid foam filled....
    This is something that makes the boat solid feeling and in rough water the boat goes THUD with zero rattles ..
    Anyway if anyone is considering a boat of the style BW makes you cannot go wrong with a BW..

boat3 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    One Caveat: don't dare drill into the hull to attach accessories or BW will void the hull warranty. This includes ski tow bars, hand rails, and even boat cover fasteners. Best to spec everything from the factory, or attach your additional accessories to pieces that are not part of the hull.

This is probably overkill on BW's part even though the boat is so over-engineered that it can be cut in half and each piece will still float:

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm familiar with BW, my Dad is a fan and owned several........ Great rough water boats. Yes, very solid thud VS rattles when it gets rough.

Texas Forever and LARRYH like this.
  4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The famous commercial is absolutely true the solid foam sidewalls ..is something no one else does....

5. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    This is because the foam is ultamitly porous. Yes it’s a closed cell foam but it will absorb water over time, thus adding weight to the boat.

energy88 likes this.
  7. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have a 2005 320 Outrage. It's as solid as new. Not a rattle in it. Really a well made boat.

You're 350 is miles ahead of mine. enjoy and congratulations!

8. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Are you saying Boston Whalers will absorb water ? As in its a reason to not buy one ?

I’ve never heard that and always liked them.

MDS

9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If you hole them, drill holes etc. through the GRP and don't repair them properly, i.e. allow a route for the water to get into the foam, then my understanding is closed cell foam will absorb water over time (it takes some time mind you). I have first hand experience of this on another boat.

That said, a well maintained boat there should be no problems. I also like Boston Whalers. We had them as instructor boats when I was a teenager teaching sailing. They took a huge amount of abuse without any problem.

Is the above a reason not to buy one? Not in my opinion. Most all GRP boats have a limited amount of closed cell foam in them, generally to help shape longitudinal/frames etc. I'd certainly consider one if I was looking for a boat in that size range; they are cool boats.

energy88 likes this.
  10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    IT would take a very large hole to make any difference and it would have to be in the HULL most holes are drilled into the deck portion of the boat.which is sealed from the hull/liner.. The foam is injected then expands and is under pressure such that every void in the hull is filled solid with foam ..not much water could get between the hull and the Liner which is the sandwiched portion of the boat...

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    thanks.....

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Which explains why little used Whalers retain their value so well (i.e. not cheap).

LARRYH likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No kidding. A 13' foot boat from the '70s will go for $5k.

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You can't beat a whaler! I have a 2015 Boston Whaler 170 Dauntless, I bought new and I cannot say enough good things about her. I have hundreds of hours on her now and in all sorts of conditions. She is built like a pocket sized Destroyer. The quality and the workmanship is exceptional. Most importantly, the hull is profoundly rigid. No matter what kind of pounding she takes, you never feel any resonance or flexing in the hull. You can trust a whaler to get you home every time and in any condition. As long as you do your job, she will do hers. It's a really special boat and worth every bit of the premium you pay. Like you, I cannot conceive of owning another make of powerboat.

LARRYH likes this.
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    so true in fact I sold one of my first Boston whalers a 13 ft that I bought new for more money then I paid for it .. 5 or 6 years later...

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    the dauntless is a great riding boat I also currently have a 23 dauntless that I have had since around 2009 a great solid boat it stays in the water (hull bottom painted ) and still good as new rides great in the bay etc....

17. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    This is not accurate. Whaler’s proprietary closed cell foam will never absorb water. Boats built in the 60’s and early 70’s though, this is not the case as the foam technology hadn’t advanced yet to make it completely impervious. Many older 13’s, 16’s and 17’s are “heavy”.

Whaler makes two different types of boats - the Super Sport, Montauk and Dauntless are all one piece hull/deck/gunwale and Outrage, Vantage, Conquest and Realm are one piece hull with deck/gunwale/cabin structure added as separate components. Regardless, as LarryH points out, the foam is pressure injected into the hull and liner molds as the fiberglass is curing creating a true one piece hull of fiberglass-foam-fiberglass. That’s why Whaler calls it “Unibond”. The strength is unmatched. I have seen Whalers sustain ridiculous amounts of hull damage and still be driven home.

LARRYH likes this.