Borrani Wire Wheel set | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Borrani Wire Wheel set

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Oct 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    this has turned into a really super great thread. thanks Fly for the photo. maybe there will be some rethinking of opinions about this application. my first sight of wires was an MG TD and that was like falling in love. never recovered. may be that the majority of cars (400series) did not have wires, therefore they are not acceptable to the crowd

2. Big N

Big N Karting

Jul 30, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Great to see such diverse opinions.
    Personally I like the Chromadora alloys, think the wire wheels make the car look much older.
    Top choice thought would have to be the knock off alloys on 365 GT4 2+2.

All look great IMHO.

3. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Fly is right i stand corrected, the chromodoras are not 'totally unique' to the 400 series the adition of the 5 bolts was new but the design seems to have been used in a load of cars.

I would like to think that Ferrari considered carefully before choosing them for the 400 series, certainly without doubt they fit the cars design masterfully.

The boranis are lovely on a lot of cars but somehow i feel it just detracts from the cars identity. Option or not remember this car was so expensive if you wanted to have it painted pink they would do it! The red car with the boranis looks good in the photo i must admit also slightly reminicent of the Montiverdi 450ss

4. TnMike

TnMike Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Full Name:
    Michael Payne
    Thanks again to all for the great information, especially regarding the hub interchange. This was just the info I was looking for. I will consider the aluminum knock-off wheels as well as the borrani wire wheels as suggested; If my wallet holds out, perhaps I might have a set of each some day! :) I like both, but what I was really interested in was switching from the 5-bolt wheels to the knock-off wheels; I have been very interested in those ever since reading a book called "The Red Car" by Don Stanford when I was a kid.

A little off-topic, but that is actually a pretty interesting book, for those who have not read it. Although mostly about an MG-TC (although I recall a Ferrari in there somewhere), it is very entertaining. It is written for a young adult audience, but it has enough details to make it interesting for adults (at least for the time it takes to read, as it is not a really long book). Check it out if you have not read it before, but be warned, you may want knock-off wheels after that! :)

Once again, thanks for the great info!!

Michael Payne

5. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Mike was real nice and called me to let me know.

They would have been nice to have for the 365 I'm working on. I think they are fine for the earlier cars.

Sixteen years in production is a long time though and I favor the more modern look for the 412s.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #31 judge4re, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    For what its worth I vote no to wires. In my opinion Daytona's look much better on the alloys than wires and I too think they belong to a bygone era and don't sit well on the 365/400/412 models. Oh, and I couldn't be bothered cleaning them either!

Having said that they look strangely appropriate on the red 365 prototype above, maybe its the colour and lack of front (400) spoiler that does that?

8. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    #33 sebackman, Nov 12, 2010
  9. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    They look like chromed steel wheels to me....

10. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    You are right. They are custom made by Dayton Wheels and the rim is steel. They look just like polished Borranis and the rim design is actually very close to the original Borranis (I had the originals to compare with). The major difference is that the rim "lipp" is a little lower.

As they sat on a 365 GT4 they are true spline drive and the center hub is a direct copy of my original Borrani piece. They were machined by British Wire Wheels in California. I’m not sure if they are still around, but they were great to deal with.

They are "well laced" (same as Borrani) 72 spoke 15x8” with off set matched to fit the original body width. Pretty neat with 8” wide wheels that fit under the fenders. 15” width allows for “modern” tires to be used and by increasing the width, the visible height of the tire will be similar to the original even if 60 or 65 profile tires are used.

Regards
    //RoB

11. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Sorry Rob but they look absolutely nothing like polished Borranis to me. I bet they weigh about 3Kg more per wheel too...

12. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    While the Borranis do look nice, do you know the effort it takes to clean them?
    Might as well take the wheel off the car to get at all the nooks and crannies.

13. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Sorry for reopening this thread but does anyone have any Borranis for sale? I am looking for some for my 400.

14. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Dont do it!
    What the heck go for it stick a spoiler on the back too. Not forgeting the smoked glass!!
    Signed the 400 POLICE (authentic devision)
    Sorry couldnt resist suppose its not the worst thing you could do to a 400
    Regards
    Alastair

15. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    #40 Tassie, Jan 20, 2011
  16. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Nice looking car is it a 400GT (manual) RHD mine too small club I think?
    Regards from Scotland
    Alastair

17. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ....great looking car !

Accentuates those clean lines and the color is superb.

Stunning.

18. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    #43 Tassie, Jan 22, 2011
  19. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    #44 Tassie, Jan 22, 2011
    And a 412 GT
    400i is 84 with electric bonnet & boot, later seats etc.
    Boranis on the dark blue 400GT I think would set it off nicely.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    #45 alastairhouston, Jan 23, 2011
    Even nicer, I am pretty sure there is literally a handfull llike three or four of the 400GT RHD cars in existence. I would guess you have the only one in Australia?
    Regards
    Alastair
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Froggie likes this.
  21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    The papers received with my convertible states that 12 were made.

22. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    That would make your convertible 400GT really rare indeed. Good stuff. I have UK RHD imported figures of 21 but there has been a few conflicting figures.
    Regards
    Alastair

23. Zebran

Zebran Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Just happened to see my 365 under Robs post with the Dayton wire wheels. The Dayton wire wheels are frankly not on par with Borranis.

and...

1. They are south Cal lowrider Bling (might as well put on 22" spinners in gold on top)
    2. Yes they are heavier, by a fair amount
    3. The splined hub centeres Rob referred to beeing made by Brittish Wire Wheels were not a perfect fit and wore pretty heavily, starting to get a lot of play.

I would definately go for the real deal and buy Borranis.

And yes Rob I still have the car undergoing a nut and bolt renovation. It's fun to see that you're still running that Donkey Cart 400A bathtub :)

BTW Rob. Thanks for letting me in on the perfect engine compression when you sold the car back in 2000. I guess you forgot to mention that cylinders 5, 6, 10, 11, 12 had seard piston rings resulting in my no. 6 piston searing completey with a following total engine rebuild as a result. The car will be a lovely ride when finished sometime next year.

Best

/Zeb

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My notes from Maranello Concessionaires show that 31 RHD 400iGTs and 171 RHD 400iAs were produced for a total of 202 RHDs. This was reported as worldwide production so I don't have a breakout of how many went to the UK.

25. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    let employee drive the 400 yesterday. the front bumper is now damaged. and i just had the thing fixed three weeks ago in the same spot! shame on me