Bonhams Quail Lodge auction | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Bonhams Quail Lodge auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by JazzyO, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rogerp

Rogerp Rookie

Nov 27, 2004
    #76 Rogerp, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spent a whole morning at Maranello Rosso two years ago - what a collection!

Hope Bonhams fixed these scratches on the Aerodinamica.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I don't think so. This sale is a reminder that you have to consider the individual car and not just it's Tipo, especially at the top level. This car was never going to be worth as much as the TdF winning GTO.

3. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Ofcourse not. But a $14m premium? Or 36% more? I also think that is exaggerated.
    This car had not many owners - that is a strong plus for me. I almost would prefer known ownership and history than a race winning car- even at a GTO level. But everyone is different.

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the gto sold for what it probably should have, and it is still a good result for what it was - basically a car that had maybe 20% of its original parts. and it sold for nearly 80% of the last more/less perfect gto with great provenance.

as was said above, each gt needs to be considered as an individual entity. at 39 examples, they are not a commodity.

5. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    I think they totally misjudged the buyer for this car in this venue.

The correct buyer for this car in this venue was someone who wanted this to be a big deal. Only offering a mediocre stream on their own website with no publicity push left this car in an awkward position. Buyers who would pay high prices privately stayed away because this was too public and buyers who wanted the spectacle stayed away because it wasn't a bigger deal.

34.65 is still a huge number for any car and I'm sure this will be spun as a win. The MM on the other hand...

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont know where you have been lately, but i got notices about this car from bonhams and scm, read about it countless other newspapers, weekly car mags and blogs etc. so i think the media push was sufficient.

and as for big media attention.....well for car auctions you dont get bigger than pebble....

the guys who buy in this category know what they are doing. they research, they inform themselves, they inspect, and then they set a plan.

kidston said it a month ago, and he was correct.

thats the right price for this car, and does not indicate any change in market direction.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    All i can think is that it was a bargain compared to the NART spyder bought by Stroll.

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Yep.

Even compared to the steel 2 cam that just sold today... Proportionately speaking...

9. professor88

professor88 Rookie

Jan 10, 2010
    Daytona 6000 original miles this afternoon 946K with premium...

10. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Didn't the NART Spyder money go towards a charity? If so, tax write-off. Free car.

11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    All proceeds from the NART Spyder went to charity.
    100% tax deductible for the heirs (children of Eddie Smith).
    0.00% tax deductible for the buyer.

Having said that, he has the money, he got a great car. I'm sure he's quite happy. I would be.

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Tax question: Would he be eligible for a tax deduction on any amount above market value? If the market value was $15m, for example, and he paid $27.5m, then would there be a deduction for the $12.5m premium paid above actual value?

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think only if the payment went directly to the charity.

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Absolutely DISagree.
    Frame, engine and gearbox and most of the body are genuine and authentic.
    I have personally inspected this and all the other Ferraris ex Maranello Rosso Collection.
    Guys, may I suggest you be a bit more careful before you spread incorrect information.

Marcel Massini

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Underbidder #1 was from TX (oil drilling equipment biz) and stopped at $ 31 M.
    Last underbidder was from Bangkok, Thailand.
    Winning bidder is from the UK.

Marcel Massini

16. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    We discussed this a bit at the time of the sale last summer.
    A couple of points-
    The sellers were donating all monies to charity and rightfully the tax deduction was theirs.
    The IRS is not in the habit of allowing multiple parties to claim a charitable deduction for the same exchange.
    Further, by definition, 27.5 (or whatever the exact number was) WAS market value that night. It's where a willing buyer and seller met.
    I completely follow your logic in asking but at the end of the day the entirety of the deduction belonged to the sellers.

Best,
    Dave

17. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks - makes perfect sense

18. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    What he said. Marcel and I have spent several days crawling all over these cars. Many of the GTOs have been crashed and smashed, repaired and crashed again. '3851' is no exception, and after its period rebuild by the factory - after which it still emerged renewed pretty much in the middle of the production run - it only took one really significant hit, and that was the 1964 Monza crash with Prinoth, from which it recovered within a month to win again. Academic interest in these things is understandable and fine, but hands-on reality seems quite rare here.

DCN

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. i will accept your much more informed assessment of the car.

how would you compare it to the tdf winner?

given your statement above, it implies that the price achieved is poor vs what it should have made. if everything is absolutely correct, and it only got to 34 mil on the day, then it infers that the overall price rise for vintage ferraris may have topped out. or would you disagree with that too?

i am trying to situate this car in the spectrum of price data to see what it means for all the other cars.

20. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    I don't think you can infer the state of the whole vintage ferrari market from just one car. Fashions change. Not everyone can afford and even some that can do not necessarily want a 250 GTO. Many would disagree bu for even money I would take a 250 SWB + a 250 LM over a GTO so with 40m burning a hole in my poscket to spend on vintage ferraris I wouldn't have been a putting it here

21. Rogerp

Rogerp Rookie

Nov 27, 2004
    #96 Rogerp, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't know the conditions of other GTOs, but this one was clearly driven as it had lots of little scratches and chips when I saw it, for example below.
    Roger
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    #97 Christian.Fr, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    This is really nice news. Well done Jan Bo!

23. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Jan Bo..?

Gr. Martin

24. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Classic car UK give the info.
    I don t know the man, or if he get some cars...

25. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mercy!
    The 1963 Series 3 250 GTE 'barn find' landed $275K + buyers premium. The car appears to need a FULL restoration. It does feature an interesting history..... got to wonder if it even runs.
    If I recall correctly, the estimated sale price was less than $75K.