Bonhams Gstaad auction & results | FerrariChat

Bonhams Gstaad auction & results

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Daytonafan, Dec 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  2. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Bonhams has the same problem as we do. Trying to get quality vehicles to provide for clients at or near fair market value has become increasingly hard. They were forced to shorten their vehicle venue as well as accept many non-Ferraris this year.

Several of their important lots were from the Estates of deceased owners. Others were sourced from divorces and repeat client business etc...

I believe they also were rather careful in making sure that lots consigned had realistic current market reserves. This likely left more than a few owners looking for next year's or even last year's "phantom" prices once again without a place to sell their cars.

Its a hard market. We sold two important vehicles over the weekend and will have little chance to replace them with new stock in the months to come.

Just my thoughts... Pretty sure many will disagree...

Warm regards,

Bill

3. fenzoman

fenzoman Karting
    BANNED

Jun 19, 2008
    I agree Bill. In any market that has quickly turned there is always a big spread between perceived value on the part of buyers and sellers. It will take some months and a few more auctions for sellers to become realistic.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    What do you guys want? Is 28 Ferraris in one auction not enough? Get real!
    I think there is a wide variety in this auction, several race cars and high end cars, road cars of the 50s, the 60s, the 70s and even an Enzo.
    And sellers are still unrealistic and just don't get it.
    Marcel Massini

5. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    I agree with Marcel - quality is better than quantity. There are some lovely cars there including that Lancia B24 which is stunning.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nice 'glass 308GTB in there..........;)

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Think it's going to go for the estimate? I some how doubt it...

8. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I vaguely remember having an old R&T from about 1966 or 1965 which had an article by the great Henry Manney on an estate auction in Scotland.

His byline for it was "this is the END of the antique car market and hobby for enthusiasts in England".

One of the outrages he noted was the cost of unrestored cars was just going up by leaps and bounds - putting them out of reach of the ordinary collector.

I seem to remember that a running Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost went for the unheard of price of around $17,000 - top price paid at this auction.

My point? Maybe someday these times we now live in will seem as ridiculous by comparison.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was offered a 36K miles North American 'glass last week, #19725, for $36K., inspected by Will Haible (in 2002!!)...but when I didn't act fast enough, it went to eBay at $38,750USD.....

Shame on me, for stopping to eat some turkey with Mom and my kids! The Market is definately rising, then.....;)

It didn't help that Wayne 'the Train' Hancock played 'till 3AM that night over Austin way, either, I guess he lost track of the time..... that can happen, on South Congress. "Catherine", from Atlanta, danced 'till the end...she was waiting for the lead guitar player. :)

I don't see the Bonham's car's actual mileage anywhere, only the "total resto" and SEVERAL certificates!
    What's the exchange rate of the units they are quoting?

Those tires on it look strange for some reason, 'modern' 16" rims, maybe..

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They will but I'm baffled that with a straight face an auction house can put an estimate on a "Group 4" 308 as high as they have.

This car never won anything so far as I can tell. A group 4 Stratos is a much more interesting car and can be bought for MUCH less.

The other estimates seem a bit high but not ridiculuos.

What am I missing here?

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #11 BigTex, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    James,

The Rolls Royce's are stacking up on the corner car lots of River Oaks....NO PROBLEM finding one of them!

We are keeping the Saint Arnold's Bentley though......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    brb..looking at Group 4 car....

13. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, my grandfather used to have a favourite saying: "you never know how far a frog will jump until you poke him with a stick"

Horrible to say, but am I almost getting an eerie feeling of similarity for that collusion thing between the fine art dealers in London and N.Y. on pricing and fees?

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Re: 308GTB Gr4

One of 11, never wrecked! LOL! It was a spare, used for recon...enclosed timing belts and skid pans are a nice "gravel road" option though.....1M CHF??????

Nice to see cars like that surface..entry accepted for tour events would be a strong selling point, I suppose....I'll bet it's LOUD too!! :D :D :D

15. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I purchased the last of the 11 GR4 308s built. It was unloved and had never been raced. Cost me the crushing price of $65K in 2002. No one wanted the car and it was simply being given away.

I raced it for two years and won the disc brake Ferrari championship with it. Took it to Europe twice and ran it there as well.

It would run with and beat the stock BB/LMs but not the cheaters. It was dynamite stuff but very difficult to run on the street / GT Euro races as it was primarily a track car.

In 05, I was approached and offered what I thought was an insane price and simply could not say no. The current owner continually turns down offers at twice the lofty price I sold it at.

It comes down to this... They made 11. They run with the best and are easy to service and maintain. The potential pull of future owners out-ways the current list of owners willing to sell by a large margin.

How this translates today into a sale price remains to be seen... but anyone who thinks they will slide back to $65K is living in a fantasy world.

End of story!

Bill

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill

In todays market do you seriously think this is worth 800K+?

End of story.

17. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
  18. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    looks like a lot of no-sales in london today at the Bonhams auction - 40%
    including: 1970 daytona coupe, 1975 365 berlinetta boxer, 1978 bb512

19. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    OMG...I did not punch up the original link. I have been going along here thinking that the reserve estimate was maybe $300K...and that that was pretty heavy money.

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #20 Napolis, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    The 330GT 2+2 seemed like a good buy at GBP44k, I think. Loved the AC Roadster but that went over estimate quite considerably.

Onno

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If it was in good shape I agree.

23. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi Jim,

I never said it was worth anything.

I only said, they will never be $65K again.

Personally I doubt it will go that high but perhaps the owner will lift his reserve to meet the market.

Just an opinion, but in this case one from a former owner who knows and hears from lots and lots of very interested buyers on such machines.

Warm regards,

Bill

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

After today's sale I bet Bonhams hopes more reserves will be lifted. 40% sale rate is tough.

Best to You and Yours!

25. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    s/n 0453
    One of the 8 or 9 or ? prototypes of the Boano/Ellena series.
    Very interesting and a true "connaisseur" classic Ferrari.

Anybody perhaps has more info on this particular car?

JR