Boat Purchase Advice - 30ish ft Bowrider | FerrariChat

Boat Purchase Advice - 30ish ft Bowrider

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by mom4791, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mom4791

mom4791 Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    Des Moines, IA
    Looking to help a friend purchase a lake boat to use in the midwest. Would consider any/all brands but was originally thinking something like a Cobalt/Sea Ray/Formula bowrider around 30 feet (+/- 3 feet). Already has a fun boat (wood hull), so this one will need to have more utility for hauling people and cruising. Performance is definitely a plus though. Looks like boats in this range would likely be upwards of $150k and potentially into the low or mid $200s? Definitely will want to purchase new.

Apologize that I haven't done a lot of research but wondering if there are strong opinions for boats in this range. I don't have a ton of experience buying boats. My family had Sea Rays for the most part when I was growing up.

2. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Its all about personal preferences. There are many options in this size range and price range. I suggest your friend to attend a boat show. Nothing beats getting inside each boat and exploring its features. Plus there are always deals at boat shows. Will the boat be kept floating or on a lift? most new boats come with a trailer, if he/she needs one. I am assuming money is not an issue, so in this price range there are fantastic boats to be had. I am a fan of Formulas and Cobalts.
    I also recommend lots of practice handling a relatively larger boat compared to current fun boat. Depending on wind and traffic, it may be tricky to "park" a 30' boat in a slip or dock. See if he/she can get a boat with a bow thruster and a "joystick" for easy maneuvering. Good luck on your search.

3. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    where will the boat be used? Personally I’d go for the Grady freedom 307 or pursuit dc29 just because I prefer the quietness of outboards and ride characteristics of boats made to go offshore. Even if you don’t plan to go out on snotty days the weather will kick up on you every once in a while.

Bowriders are now being called ‘dual consoles’ by many manufacturers just FYI when you’re looking around at websites. Out of the three you’ve listed I’d definitely go formula. Haven’t been one one in 10 years but back then they were far better built than sea rays and I think sea ray as a company is in a bit of turmoil right now. Check out the hull truth forum, lots of knowledgeable folks over there.

4. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Agree that a boat show is the best venue to help narrow your choices. It also depends on the size of the lake and what you want to do with the boat. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login We opted for a 25’ Super Air Nautique G25 since it has room for 15+ while cruising and is a blast with water sports (wake surfing in particular). Also has a stern thruster that takes the edges off docking in tight spaces. 550 supercharged HP doesn’t hurt either. Hope that helps.

slm likes this.
  5. mom4791

mom4791 Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    Des Moines, IA
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Boat will be used in Okoboji, Iowa and will be kept on a lift. I would say primary use is cruising -- can't imagine there would be much in the way of watersports besides pulling a tube occasionally. It sounds like for someone that isn't super budget conscious that a Formula/Cobalt might be good options. I think most of his experience would be driving boats in the 20-24 foot range, so maybe a 27-28 footer would work.

6. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    SeaRay Sundancer 260 is a great boat and great value.

7. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I have one and agree.

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #8 wrs, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    I just bought a 270 BR from the Formula factory via my dealer here in Austin. They are running a "boat show" special but I have to wonder if this is the way they sell boats anyway. The $150k is way low for a 310BR but you can get a 270BR new for that if it's optioned correctly. Here is a link to the 270 BR inventory.

http://www.preownedformula.com/Stock/List?ModelId=270 Bowrider

I bought this one and it should be on the road to Austin some time this week.

http://www.preownedformula.com/Stock/Detail/TNRD1677I819

The ones with the forward thrust are supposedly easier to maneuver but mostly they are designed for wake boarding. I am not interested in that and didn't want to lose top end performance. I bought the 430hp engine in mine. I would also check into slip availability and lift costs as well. I am paying $10k for the lift (Hydro Hoist) and $6800/yr for a 38ft slip lease.

9. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Go look at Chris Crafts. I just bought a 27ft Chris Craft Launch (open bow).

Beware, once you look at Chris Crafts everything else this side of a Riva will seem like complete garbage...Chris Crafts will "ruin you."

Good luck in your search.

10. mom4791

mom4791 Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    Des Moines, IA
    Launch 27 looks like a hell of a boat. Thanks for the recommendation.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
  12. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    It may be a little confusing, but Dual consoles are essentially center console boats setup like a bowrider. They are technically two different products. So they have the hull of a Center console (with the Carolina flair, etc) and generally ride a bit better in rougher waters and will always have outboards.

I have a 330CBR (33 foot) which is a Bowrider but also has a cabin. Still technically classified a bowrider.

If you're willing to buy preowned, you'll buy way more boat than new. You probably already know that boats take pretty large initial deprecitation hits. I bought mine with 30 hours on it - it was still like new and had 4 years remaining of the Factory Formula 5 year Formulaguard warranty.

Formula has a great preowned selection, with their preowned site you're essentially buying direct from them now - which would be like buying a preowned Ferrari direct from Ferrari. And Formula stands behind their products.

wrs likes this.
  13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I saw a 330 CBR tied up on Friday and it was nice! I bought mine from new stock inventory but at the "boat show price". Not sure how resale goes off that but I plan to have the boat for at least 5 years. I am not planning to do with boats what I do with cars LOL!

14. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Formula's hold their value well, much better than other boats. A 270BR is also a very popular sized boat and always in demand. Just keep it clean and like new and I'm sure you'll do well when the time comes to move on.

wrs likes this.
  15. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great looking boat.
    I hate to do it, but I'm going to insert a nanny comment- To anyone buying a first time boat just make sure you take it easy until you get very comfortable. Know where people and lines are in the water. If you don't see them, don't touch a throttle. Work on common communication signals with anyone in the water. Know a bilge pump, a gas smell and so on.
    I might be deluding myself but every time I start a trip on my boat I take guests through the safety basics, how to use the head, where the fire extinguishers are, how to run the fire system, work radios, shut off the boat and so on. Everyone always seems pretty thankful. FWIW.
    Have fun!

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    XLNT advice! Can never be too careful. Whether a big boat like yours or a little boat like mine........always must be on top of it/everyone/everything. Must not be over confidant. Rather be the nanny than the ambulance driver...

BoulderFCar likes this.