BMW guys on FerrariChat? | Page 69 | FerrariChat

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    MalcQV likes this.
  2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    This is going to be a daily. Not to mention I cannot leave or enter the area I live without going over several speed bumps. They play havoc with my 360 and worse the Alfa Spider I had before the Z3.
    It is staying as it is because it needs to be 100% usable;)
    Last but not least my missus is not big on the looks. I think it'll stay around for a year at the most.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Stupid little gremlins kept my 635csi parked for a little over two years, but this year I finally got them fixed and the old girl is back on the road. Love driving this car, especially around the city. These are rare here in Brazil (I think only 10-15 of them around) so I get lots of comments about it when I take it out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

one4torque and Boomhauer like this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I'm a collector of the unloved models from the millennium:

daily drive the 'unloved' E36 M3,

and covet my 360 modena gated :)......

two lower powered momentum models..... but I love them as they are perhaps the last of an era of analog drivers cars :)

Bradwilliams likes this.
  5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

The E36 M3 always has a notalgia to it in my eyes. It was THE ultimate weapon back when I was in high school in the late 90s. The Estoril blue on dove with the spoiler was just it. I always thought that to be the ultimate car to have at that age (exotics obviously out of the question). I've always wanted one and thought about buying one at times but after owning the E38 for about 5 years I'm through with BMW and am drifting over to the 90s Mercs which are more reliable. How many miles a year do you put on that car?

JoeZaff likes this.
  6. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    The E36 is a great car with a nice nostalgic feel to it.

I’ve had mine for almost 5 years and have done nearly 30k miles in that time. A year ago I bought an e92 so the e36 mostly sits now. I drove it today after it had sat for a couple weeks and it fired right up. The e36 is such a fun car and I need to show mine some more love.

Only real issue I had was a broken thermostat that caused it to overheat right as I was leaving town for a 200mile drive hone. Other than that I had a couple issues with a battery and smaller things but overall it has been reliable *knocks on wood*

one4torque likes this.
  7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Those therm/waterpumps go every 60/80k miles. If I ever bought one I'd daily drive it that's the problem :) I do about 10k a year on my E38 and I'm averaging about $1200 a year worth of nickel and diming like clockwork. It isn't really the money, it's the frequency of the issues. It seems like I can't go longer than 3-4 months without an issue emerging. I have a small coolant leak in it somewhere (pretty sure its the valley pan) and I have to add coolant about twice a year. I really don't feel like tearing it apart to find it. I've had 3 mechanics pressure test it and found no leaks in the system. I'm pretty set on getting a C140 Mercedes when I'm done with this car. It won't be as sporty or as pretty but it will be a beautiful and feel like a bank vault. Problem is the E38 is so intoxicating to drive. The handling is incredible (zero body roll), looks to die for, and the sound of the motor when punched on the highway is grand. Mine has 224k (looks like it has 75k) uber clean and I can't just let some shmuck take it from me for a peasants ransom. I told all of my close friends that it is my first and last BMW, I called it from the beginning (knew what I was getting myself in to). I dont' understand why your average luxury car buyer buys these cars. Unless you're really into speed, handling etc. you are wasting your time and money. BMW to me is the entry level Porsche. You're better off buying a merc. lexus, Acura, etc. if you're one of these people. They always want to pull there hair out after owning a bimmer. I love my car but it drives me nuts at the same time, my Testarossa is more reliable. My friends and I worked at a dealer in high school and I can recount many stories of customers going apoplectic on service writers/cashiers regarding costs and frequent visits. I remember an old lady owned one of the first 2002 745LI (total trash) and after getting a bill for 5 figures from the service department, went APE-S@@@ on the staff and literally threatened to call the police. It was hilarious. :)

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  9. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
  10. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    MalcQV and Boomhauer like this.
  11. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Boomhauer likes this.
  12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So I just bought a new BMW M3CS. I pick it up tomorrow. I have no illusions that it will be as wonderful as my E36 M3, but it looks like it will be a blast. Break-in period is painfully long, so it will be a little while till I actually get to enjoy her! I'll post more pictures once I take delivery. For someone who doesn't consider himself a BMW enthusiast...I now have four BMW's. WTF

ronfrohock, Devilsolsi and stibbett like this.
  13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
  14. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I love that blue!

15. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Jana likes this.
  16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

17. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Gimme Gimme Gimme.

Thats like for my e39 M5. Promise I wont resell or regift.

Attached Files:

18. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    My F10 M5 is nearing 3 years with me and will be my last M5. This was the last manual and looks like a e39 on steroids.
    Not for the faint of heart but it is a manual, with CCB and competition package. My favorite long drive car.

Attached Files:

TestShoot likes this.
  19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

PM sent!

20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My little old Z3. I've been using it for a fortnight now. Fantastic car and toe-heel or rather either side of my foot (as I prefer) is so easy.

Bradwilliams, Boomhauer and TestShoot like this.
  21. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    alexion and TestShoot like this.
  22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I love the X6M. I'll get another when they unveil the X6M 2021 model. I have a performance tune on it, 650+hp, it is pretty impressive and not just for a crossover.

23. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    That's excellent. Have you done any suspension work? I find the turning feels a little sketchy at higher speeds. And I mean 160+. 650hp is excellent for a tune. The vehicle is already very quick and I love the ride on it. It has exceeded expectation.

24. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I love that color, Jana!

Jana likes this.