BMW granted Formula E powertrain manufacturer | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BMW granted Formula E powertrain manufacturer

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Bas, Mar 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not much that can be done from the engine in electric cars. Only 1 moving part only clever mapping (pulsing electricity at higher current for shorter time etc), but they're already doing that anyways. The tech is in the batteries, and Lithium is starting to be pushed to it's limits.

Lithium mining is incredibly dirty and this whole electricity will save the world thing is mindblowingly ignorant, it's 100% NOT the answer to what the idiots think.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #27 william, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

Not necessarily. I suspect luxury and sports cars manufacturers ( will soon start producing hybrid vehicles, and even fully electric cars.

I believe Bentley is ready to launch an electric sports car. Ferrari plans to have an hybrid car on the road soon; Porsche is intending to compete head on against Tesla with a Panamera-derived electric car. It's just a beginning, but more will follow among the top brand, IMO.

So the amateurs of exotics will be well provided for in future, I think.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #28 william, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

Well, electric power reduces air pollution, which is what is important.

I am not trying to convince you, just stating the obvious.

The issue of battery fabrication and recycling will need to be addressed, of course.

If the car industry switches its attention to electric, huge progress will be achieved in a very short time, I think. Electric power has been neglected for far too long, and the automotive industry completely missed the boat when it gambled on the petrol engine at the expense of the electric motor (and steam power too). We wouldn't have this conversation if it hadn't made that mistake!

FYI, the first car to reach 100km/h was electric: "La Jamais Contente" reached 101km/h, (66mph) at Acheres - France - in 1998 driven by Camille Jenatzy.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm fine with it if the majority of people would drive Electricity. I just don't want to be forced out, or want to be outlawed from entering where I want just because I drive a petrol car.

I'm 100% serious when I'm saying that if real cars do get outlawed in EU I'll move to some uncivilized hole again.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Your choice, of course.

You may be alright in your lifetime, but I suspect that the sale of IC cars will come to a stop in the next few decades in Europe when it will uneconomical to produce them (not enough demand), or they will be banned altogether.

Before long, diesel and petrol cars will be banned from entering major cities, and progressively banned in town, then not allowed on the road. This will happen in Europe first, but then most of the world will adopt these legislations too.

I cannot see developed countries like USA, Mexico, China or India escaping it; they already suffer from massive ait pollution.