BMW E39 540i | Page 3 | FerrariChat

BMW E39 540i

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bart12, Dec 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I don't know about that. That may be true in the later model years, but I'm Pretty sure the manuals on the earlier years (97ish) were not sport pack. I remember driving quite a few of them that had the spoked wheels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydw-6J_vyCw

2. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Maybe an M5 that needs a little be of maint, or has higher (>100K) miles? Then there is a price jump to get the 01-03 face lifted M5, and another jump to get 50-60K miles....it's like the Ferrari disease on a lower dollar level (but similar % increases :) I can get a 360...but for some more a 430...then may as well look for a higher than average but still reasaonable mileage 458)

Car option 1 sounds good to me- I like the stick shift :)

3. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I own the ultimate E39 6-speed. It's a 2000 Black/Tan M5 with a Dinan S3 supercharged package. 540 rwhp. Comes with Dinan headers, Dinan intakes, Dinan suspension, etc. It was a very costly undertaking at the time. I've owned it from new. I'd consider parting with this beast at the right price-point.

4. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Yeah, I think around '99 sport became standard with manuals. Probably around the time the M62TUB44 came out.

5. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    How many miles does this bad boy have?

6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Uh oh....

Wouldn't it be funny if bart12, who started out looking for a 540i sport for his dad, then figured "maybe I'll pick up a nice condition more pedestrian non-sport automatic sedan for myself too for a few grand" wound up with a stick shift supercharged V8 Dinan beast able to out accelerate many modern Ferrari's/Vettes/Porsches etc?? This is what I'm talking about- F-chat is a slippery slippery slope :) :)

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Friend of mine has a 2001 540i 6 speed, black on black, 83,500 miles, has some Dinan upgrades. He recently scraped it parking in Boston and did a little paintwork on it but not an accident. Recent tires, valve covers, alternator, power steering pump. He's had it since 33k miles and got it in 2007 or so. Just had his first kid so wants something bigger. PM me if you want details.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #58 Terra, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    87,300 miles.

9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    PM me for a price.

10. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Sounds like a winner!

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have a Black with Beige leather interior 1998 e39 540ia Sport with 79K miles that I bought new. Was one of the first cars in Maryland. It has been in storage for maybe 7 years now. A real time capsule. Inside and outside surfaces were showroom quality before storage. No scratches anywhere. In fact, always used the dealer black plastic on top of the floor mats so no shoes ever directly on the mats and the rear seats were seldom used. Its crazy, I know. However, it is not turn key. I garaged it when the driver window regulator failed with window up and rear driver window regulator failed down. The sunroof will also not retract. The car has never spent a night outside the garage. I'm not sure what to do with the car. Always thought that it would be a classic of sorts some day and that it would be perfect for a BMW mechanic. The radiator has a white drip stain from the small plastic fitting on the top tank. I was also chasing what I though was a catalytic converter issue as it threw a 'cylinder mis-fire' code. I have not started it in years and its becoming a barn find - dust and all! Anyway, was nice to talk about it again and good luck finding your dad his new present.

12. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sounds like a gem! Where is your vehicle located?

13. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Maryland at private residence. I still have insurance on it believe it or not. Just wish I had the time to get back to it. I think I drove it for about 8 years, maybe less. The sticker was something like $54K back in '98 if I'm remembering correctly. What a great handling car though and fast for its time. The wheels are very sexy forged and riveted. I remember buying factory brake pads for it but couldn't bear to put them on because the ones on it were so thick they didn't need to be replaced.

15. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #65 It's Ross, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Bart,
    I'd not get so hung up on miles. Your dad ought to be the first to confirm that condition trumps miles on these cars. A damage free car with good interior is what I'd be looking for. Low miles aren't worth paying a large premium.
    Every 100k or so they are due for suspension and cooling system refreshing and you are looking that scenario straight in the eye.
    All of the usual, previously very expensive, foibles of these cars have been addressed by the aftermarket so if you see dead dash pixels etc. don't sweat it.
    If dad works at a dealer he may well be insulated from the aftermarket solutions for everything that goes wrong on old BMWs. Do some reading at the popular BMW forums before coughing up $$$ to the Bavarians for parts.

16. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #66 andrew911, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    After 15 years with my 540i, it was time for an upgrade. Just spent too much money on an 02 M5- should be here next week or so. Fully sorted (and I mean fully/ turn key car), under 50k miles, lemans blue on caramel. Needless to say I'm very excited. Im going to keep my 540i for the winter (has winter tire set on it) then probably sell it in the spring. I've wanted this car since 2002- it is the feature color combo from the M5 brochure, which I've had since I went to the BMW dealer to purchase my then 2 year old 540 stick/sport as a certified pre owned. It's crazy how excited I am... if you gave me almost any new sedan costing 2 or 3 times as much (new Bmw, Maserati, Audi, benz) I would not be as excited!

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread but keeping on topic of the 540i and e39 in general, if a car guy buying another same chassis/generation car after owning it for 15 years, with the intention of keeping the new acquisition for another 10+ years isn't a testament to be car's design, I don't know what is :). The dealer sent me a picture of my car at dusk with just the angel eyes on... all I could think is how beautiful, and what a curse the bangle era was right after the e39

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#67 Bradwilliams, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    YEP. Company went from the penthouse to the basement in just a matter of a few short years LOL. But remember, it was the 2002 745 that kicked off the ugly duckling tour! May have to get an M5 E39 one of these days in Lemans (best color IMO). But I don't won't to let go of my 740 sport short. Only other Bimmer I am at all interested in are the 1999-02 M roadsters, but the prices on them were getting ridiculous as of last summer so I said hell with it and bought a nice R129 Merc. instead for less money which I'm extremely happy with.

18. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    #68 mathewr, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How about a 2002 525i E39 with 23750 miles? Black/Tan, Brand new M Parallel Wheels/Continental DW Summer tires, mint condition. Very low miles for the age, it was a Grandpa car. Some people shy away from the 525 for some reason and go straight for the 540/M5. I just don't like the troubles of the 4.4 liter V8. (Valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, Timing chains, etc)

This is great car for the evening out or for the daily driver.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    Searching for a 540i but just drove a 2003 525i/5 sport and can confirm that it was a pleasant surprise. Obviously doesn't have the tremendous grunt of the 540, but the I6 was creamy smooth and felt much stronger than its 184hp, I could honestly live with it. There's nothing like a BMW inline six.

20. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Agreed, it floats at 120 MPH and the engine is silky sooth.

21. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    How much?

22. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Do you own this car personally?

23. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's awesome!

24. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    This is my personal car. Clean Texas title in my name.

25. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's a beautiful car. Are you wanting to sell it? Or just wanting us to drool over it? Lol