BMW E39 540i | FerrariChat

BMW E39 540i

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bart12, Dec 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Im looking for a well maintained BMW e39 540i, prefer manual transmission, but AUTO is ok. More or less about 80k miles.

No accidents. No dents or dings. Recently serviced and still good tires. No leaks.

A turn key car.

PM me or any leads is welcome.

2. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
  3. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

One of my favorite cars. Liked it more than the e39 m5. Hope you find a good one.

4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I had one but unfortunatly I sold it about 12 years ago. It was a great car!

5. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I used to winter store my 308gt4 right next to one of these in an empty warehouse. It was there year round, the guy who owned the warehouse bought it years before and never drove it. He wanted to sell it to me for way under book but I didn't want an auto but it had no miles on it, maybe 12k, time capsule. Fast time capsule. He got rid of it maybe 4 yrs ago.

If I had known gas would be this cheap I would have bought it and DD it the last 4 yrs!

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I ran an e39 540i 6-speed manual for more than 10 years. I loved it.

I came to really dislike BMW NA, however. They wouldn't fix the pixels in the LCD that rendered my odometer unreadable, for one.

Over the years I also discovered corners that BMW cut in order to save money. The plastic gear that locked the gas cap was a weak nylon, and other hidden parts were of lesser quality.

I moved away from BMW and bought a Mercedes CL 63 as a daily driver, and a Porsche 993 for a fun/track car. They are, in my opinion, better engineered with fewer sacrifices to long-term quality.

But for the money an e39 540i is a great car. My dad actually bought a 530i that I didn't like nearly as well.

The sports seats that come with the 6-speed are fantastic.

Good luck on your hunt!

Matt

7. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    My father just consigned his 60k mile 540i with a dealer in NC.

I'll see if I can find a link.

8. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Is it a 6 speed? Give me a link.

9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Nothing in cars.com that is lightly used.

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The pinnacle of 5-series (and BMW) design, along with the E46 M3.

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Excellent choice. You can't have more fun in a BMW for under 7 grand than a 540 stick. And it's one of the only BMWs that is actually somewhat reliable.

You can get this fixed very easily using one of the many online services. I had my 740 cluster refurbed for under 200 dollars. Lots of online services that will do it. All you have to do is pull it out and put it back in. Easy job that takes only a few minutes.

12. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    I've been daily driving an E39 540ia sport for the last 10 years. I keep thinking about replacing it, but then I realize how much I still really like the car. It's a great machine. Good luck in your search.

13. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Im actually giving it as a Xmas gift to my father who is a BMW Master Tech.

I think I have a lead on one and hope I can close the deal and have it delivered before Xmas.

14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

God, why don't I have any relatives who are wanting to give me fun cars? LOL. Not that I would want or need them to do so. But man I'd get a huge thrill out of such a gesture!

15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Auto. Non sport.

I don't think it's been listed yet.

16. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    When its time to sell, send me a link.

17. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
  18. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I looked at it and it has a curb rash on the right bumper. That would be annoying to look at for a new used car.

Thanks

19. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #19 andrew911, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    I have a 2000 540i stick that has been my daily driver for 14 years now! I bought it when it was 2 years old, and it has been fully paid off for over a decade! Now at 120K miles- I use mass transit to get to work, so only drive it ~6-7K/year... I have great/reasonably priced mechanics, so I can honestly say the lack of need to upgrade my daily driver allowed me to move up my weekend toy from a porsche to ferrari 7 years ago. I was thinking of maybe upgrading to a clean e39 M5- nothing else in that price range really interests me much and I love the design and build philosophy of the pre-bangle era cars. I few years ago picked up a last year (2006) 3 convertible for my wife as a weekend car- it too has been great (only up to 49K miles on that car- had to search a bit to find a mint and lower mileage 330ci).

Your dad will love the 540i! Make sure the clutch delay valve is removed (I'm sure if not he'll do that in a few mins himself!)

20. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    What do you think is the market right now for a car like yours? 80-100K miles.

How reliable are they now that it has 120k miles?

21. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Keep your eyes peeled for a sorted car. I have over 200k on my 01 740i which has the same motor, but the 5 is more reliable. Suspension (struts) radiators, etc. always go on these. You're much better off getting a clean high mileage car that is sorted with aftermarket parts than you are with a lower mileage cream puff. Those will eat you alive over time. OEM bimmer parts are absolute trash. Stay 2000 or above, the older engines are also trash. I'd grab a high mileage 03 sport pack sorted. with 100-130k on it if it were me. And I would not pay more than 8500 for it.

22. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Thanks for your input. Prices are all over the place and condition too. Just not to many clean one. He can handle anything mechanical but I want a clean exterior interior with wear appropriate for age.

I think I am close though.

23. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I got a lead on a 02 with 50000 miles for $12000, is that on market?

24. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sounds decent but again, you're going to get eaten alive with some BIG bills the second that car hits 80k miles....

25. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    The only bills we need to pay is materials. He can fix it himself. Hes a BMW mechanic.