BMW 7 E38 - good idea? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

BMW 7 E38 - good idea?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Far Out, May 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    +1

My 740 gives a low coolant light every month or two, likely because of a leaking valley pan gasket. I keep a gallon of distilled water in the trunk and just pour a few cups into the reservoir when I get the warning, which almost happens before first start up in the morning when the motor's cool.

Don't think the V12 has a similar failure mode though, and for the light to come on it's had to have lost a decent amount. Have you noticed a puddle of coolant under the car?

You asked about the monsoon speakers in a PM. The "buzz" I had mentioned in this thread at higher volumes and very bass-heavy songs is probably still there, will check tomorrow. At the volumes I typically listen to it's not noticeable, and I haven't thought about it in months.

Is annoying that a few weeks ago the system stopped recognizing the CD changer. Says "No Magazine", so I've been listening to the radio only lately.

Did you buy the Monsoons from the same Ebay seller that had a bunch of new-old-stock ones?

2. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Yeah. Like you, I bought "the last set" of speakers. :D

They're back in the car now - Dear Husband did car audio as a teen/young adult for extra spending money, so he was able to help with the project quite a bit. In fact, he did most of it. :) Now we're waiting 24 hours to let the silicone cure before we can test out how they sound.

On the radiator overflow tank, there's a tab that goes around the bleed screw. That was up when I first noticed the problem. I snapped it back down, and then after the drive home, it was up again. I imagine this is related to the issue somehow? I will check and see if the bleed screw is tight. I added about 2 cups of water in total - added some in the parking lot, and some the next morning after the car was completely cool.

I did notice coolant spewed around the overflow tank, but I haven't seen any puddles under the car.

3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

4. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I did try to tighten the bleed screw this evening, and was able to tighten it a full turn. I will take the car for a drive tomorrow and see if it loses more coolant.

5. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Heh, heh.

6. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Very similar to mine, mileage and condition/maintenance-wise with more suspension/accessory work on mine and arguably a more desireable color scheme of silver over grey (sand over tan is by no means ugly), but mine has no record whatsoever of chain guides being done.
    Watching auction for reference..

7. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    That'll be your problem.

Still, get one of these already ;)

8. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Nice. Note that they are lower resistance speakers than stock ones (4 ohm vs 8 ohms I think?) so you will have to turn down the bass level in the stereo settings or it'll be too bass-heavy.

Now that I think about it once I realized this and adjusted it (to ~25% IIRC) there's no buzzing unless I crank the volume well above where I'd ever typically listen to it.

If anyone else needs to redo their E38 rear-deck woofers (which would be everyone that hasn't already done it) act fast, Julia got the next to last set ;)

Four (4) Brand New VW speakers. 4ohm. Factory original NOS New!! Monsoon, etc | eBay

Not quite plug-and-play but just takes a little fiddling and you have significantly better-than stock woofers, that most importantly don't have crumbled cones...

9. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    OK, I bought the pretty brass bleeder screw. :) I presume it won't come loose randomly?

So some of you talk about running with DSP off? What's the difference? I am not super-conscious of audio, though I can usually be impressed if it's really good. However, on certain songs my sound system makes the singer sound as if he's underwater, and that's gotta stop.

Is the $400 BavSound kit a good value for the door speakers/tweeters?

10. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Nearly new '01 Sport hammering on BaT today: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-740i-7/

Julia - missed your question, but as for DSP I find it adds too much echo for my tastes, no matter which "mode" so just listen in non-DSP mode.

No idea about the BavSound kit, sorry.

My sebener is still chugging along. This morning pulling into work felt and heard a little graunching in the steering, probably low fluid I haven't checked it in probably 8 months and it's got a very slow leak.

11. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    It'll be interesting to see what that '01 on BAT goes for. Bid to $19K as of right now.

On mine, I did a suspension overhaul with OEM or equivalent parts and a new headliner. Now it needs a radiator, so it's going in for that next week. I'm hoping after that, I get to drive it some before the first snowfall/salt on the roads. I haven't done anything further with the stereo system.

She rides like a dream now! :)

Nurburgringer likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are a cool car, and i want one to complement my e39.

13. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #188 Gran Drewismo, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Any idea what market would be for a 2001 740i Sport with 103k miles?

Has the Convenience Package along with PDC and front heated seats.

Three owners, no history of damage or paintwork.

14. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
  15. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    What's the convenience pack?
    int/ext color?
    timing chain guides replaced?
    maintenance records?

I'd say $8k-10k, maybe a little more if it's a prime example.

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Anthracite exterior/gray interior

Convenience Package contains:

Power rear window roller blind
    Rear-door window roller blinds
    Power folding automatic-dimming side-view mirrors

No maintenance records from first owner (New-2013). Second owner was the GM of the local BMW dealership who bought it at auction and did a bunch of work on it then basically sold it as a flip to third owner. All records available during that time period, but I don't see anything about the timing chain guides being done.

Has a few of the common E38 issues: headliner in rear starting to sag, front cupholder broken, some cracks in the trim. Does have a brand new set of tires though.

17. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ugh, I want that car more than life itself. Imola Red Sport is perfect, but Salvage title would be an absolute deal breaker.

18. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Bwahahahahaaa!! :D

This just painted the mental picture for me that E38 owners have the common issue that they're all driving around involuntarily listening to MC Hammer. :D

Aside from that, it does look like an excellent car. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    ^^LOL! I didn't catch that quickly scrolling through the ad. :) :)

GLWS !

21. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    And you guys thought it was only German techno that played from these cars :)

22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Finally got around to changing the power steering lines in my 2001 a few weekends ago, except for the HP line from the pump to the steering box. The banjo nut on the box seemed impossible to get off without raising the engine so I could even get a wrench under the exhaust manifold. That one wasn't leaking so just put new crush washers on the pump side. With the cold weather lately there was a good circle of PS fluid under the car, not anymore.

But the cold weather has also seemed to shrink some gaskets/o-rings in the fuel system. Have smelled gas coming out to the car some especially cold mornings, and the Service Engine soon light light up with an error code about air/fuel ratio. Have to dig into the codes more - anyone else have something similar pop up on theirs?

23. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Mine never popped up a service engine soon light, but I was recently smelling fuel and it turned out to be the fuel injectors.

24. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    seals leaking? How did you fix? Hopefully not replacing all injectors, or?

25. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    It was the injectors and injector seals. My mechanic said four were leaking, but I went ahead and had him replace all 12 injectors and seals. I think he replaced some rubber fuel lines in that general area as well. It should be good for a while now. At least, that part of it. :)

Salt is on the roads here now, so I haven't driven it since bringing it home from that repair.