BMW 7 E38 - good idea? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

BMW 7 E38 - good idea?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Far Out, May 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Muddyfunster, Boomhauer, Bas and 2 others like this.
  2. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Beautiful. Man this car looks good in just about any color. Another sign that it is a classic.

Julia likes this.
  3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

So weird thing. I had bled this thing over and over to get rid of the check coolant light (with no luck) and today i decided to fire it up and do the fillup in the reservoir near the max line (after the system pulled the coolant down) then put the cap on with no bleeding. Drove it about 22 miles with no warning. Will see how this goes. I probably just jinxed it. LOL.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Hands down my favorite year and trim of the E38. Do the 2001s have puddle lights under the door handles? I know they did in 2000 based on a BMW brochure I still have from the dealer way back then. I haven't seen any ads really mention this feature on any E38...maybe the bulbs burned out and no one realized?

Edit: The only thing I don't like about the facelift E38s is the alarm locking sound. Our 1998 had that great beeping sound (wolf whistle). I think I posted a video of it on this thread before. Some people have retrofitted it.

5. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Yes, the door handles light up when you unlock it. I actually didn't know this about my car; I had to go check! There's no light shining down from the side mirror, though.

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't remember the side mirrors lighting up on my 2001, just the puddle lights, which I got a lot of compliments and "wow!" on. Either they did and I just didn't notice or in true German quality terms they were broken or burned out. :)

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    The 2000 MY brochure didn't mention mirrors having lights. I think it was just limited to the exterior and interior door handles. Although I don't know if the interior door handle lights are just on the 750...maybe all of them.

8. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I guess the mirror puddle lights are a newer innovation. Our 2008 535xi has them.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Friend's '16 Mustang has a mirror puddle light... projects the horse logo on the ground... strange...

10. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Change it out so it projects a cavallino rampante! :D

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I was ferrying my folks around town in the car all this week around Charleston. I had it parked on the street downtown. Caught a a glimpse of the side profile and it was truly looking stunning. This car does have more presence than the E39 standard and M in my opinion. Those cars are both beautiful and stunning but not in the same league as an e38 Sport short. It's a classic no doubt about it, but will be a long time until they are rare. Too many made. And alot of them are gone due to people giving up on them as they are complete maintenance headaches. It is getting tricky to find nice examples that are sorted though, especially in the enthusiast colors.

12. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    So, I went to open the hood to put the trickle charger on, and the passenger side didn't unlatch. I had to get another person to pull the handle while I pulled up on the hood, and then, thankfully, it opened.

What should I do before I shut the hood again? Adjust the cable? Replace? Replace the hood buffer? I've been doing nothing, but Monday I have to take it to get appraised for collector car insurance, so I'll need to shut the hood then.

13. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

14. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    My policies are all with American Family. It's their agreed value policy I'm trying to get, not collector car policy, I guess. I have my 1991 Miata on agreed value with them. I called and asked the agent if they could do that type of policy with the E38 and they said yes, I'd just have to get an appraisal.

I'll try getting new hood buffers. I had already replaced the driver side one, but now I notice it is missing. I guess I didn't screw it in far enough.

15. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

At the cars and coffee Charleston last weekend. There was a protection package 750 2000 there. (bulletproof). It is behind my car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    #267 BMW.SauberF1Team, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    That's not a Protection 750. The Protection 740s and 750s had the sunroof delete and are all metal up there. I can see it has a sunroof and is tilted open. It likely just has regular 750 "security glass," which is not bulletproof and I can see that as a thick black outline on the rear left window that is rolled down a bit. Protection cars have fixed rear windows and can't roll down at all.

Edit: Here are good photos of a Protection. No window buttons on the rear doors and the sunroof is gone. Rear armrest is fixed in down position as they put up thick metal plate behind that for bullets. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-750li-2/

18. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Maybe we could get Dave Rocks to reengineer those hood buffers for us.

Brad, your car is looking sharp!

19. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  20. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I have to do mine this winter. I have the gear in the middle instead of the later "U" shaped guide, but the oil pump chain seems pretty loose, so I have a hunch all the chains could use a refresh.

Nurburgringer likes this.
  21. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Interesting, I didn't know earlier E38s had a gear in there.
    My oil pump chain is quite loose as well. Also doing the engine mounts, water pump, valley pan gasket, and probably the radiator while it's all out. Sucks that I did the PS lines just last year, now would have been the perfect time to knock them out.
    Not rebuilding the vanos units, they weren't that noisy anyway.

If you need the special tool set hit me up. I bought this one and also the bar to hold the crank pulley from a guy on Bimmerforum and will be looking to pass it along:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006U5N830/?coliid=I2S0MNI5SG6KIJ&colid=3H862JF7H8XOL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

How did that job turn out? Rear driver speed sensor went out yesterday. No Speedo trifecta lights etc. 50 dollar fix. Now my comouter is telling me my water pump is bad even though I replaced it about 10k miles ago lol

23. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Late (very) to this thread but OMG I loved my E38 750il. Ran it thru 100k with bmw warranty which cost me £600 per year but cost BMW much, much more !

2 gearboxes plus many other less major faults. Sold it as soon as I couldn't extend the warranty further.

24. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

2 gearboxes? Holy crap! Your story is pretty similar to the people I knew who had these when new. Nobody wanted to give them up. Until the repair bills started stacking up. Same thing with be phaeton and 1st gen. Lexus ls400. Remarkable cars that nobody wanted to part with . Not many cars today being built like that as the quality continues to slide in favor of leases. Alot of people also traded their 95-97 models for 2001 as soon as they saw the new ugly 745 . The bimmer crowd wanted no part of that crappy car. How long did you hang on to yours?

25. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    1997 till 2004.

It truly was a car I loved and still miss.

BMW UK had an unlimited mileage pay to play extensive warranty (£600 per year back then).

It covered everything except consumables.

Everytime I had the slightest problem it was at the dealer to be fixed ..... eg: dropping led's, heated seats, electric mirrors, audio ( and the 2 x gearboxes @ £4k each ) etc

When the pig ugly Bangle design came out the unlimited warranty became 100k miles limited to get us out of the older car.

It sure got me out ..... I sold it on in perfect working order but not knowing of course what might be around the corner for the lucky or otherwise new owner .... I got £13k for her.