Blue Ridge Pkwy 2020 and Beyond... | FerrariChat

Blue Ridge Pkwy 2020 and Beyond...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #1 wthensler, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    I posted a little in the NC region section, but since this trip will cover at least five states, I thought I’d post a synopsis here....

Briefly, my wife and I started late last week in FL, opting to tow the car the 500 miles up to Charlotte (95 is a boring ride in any car). After unloading, we headed NW, picking up the BlueRidge Parkway North in Sparta, NC.

We drove from there all the way to the northern end in Waynesboro, VA, a stretch of almost 300 gorgeous miles. A beautiful fall day accompanied our journey, and it was my first real test of the 458 on twisty, up and down roads. There were some unbelievable scenes and relatively empty and open sections, so I was really able to unwind it a bit. With the Kline exhaust and cats, the car really rumbles and reverberates through the ‘hollers’, creating quite a sound. It got real chilly as the sun started to set (elevations average 3000 ft), so those heated seats came in handy. But almost 10 hours in the car and twisty overload started to set in, truth be told.....

Tomorrow is Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Nat’l Park, then into rugged WV (Greenbriar), back onto the BRP, and into the Great Smoky Mtns, including TN and GA. Any twisty road is fair game, as long as it is attainable from the resorts the wife has mapped out. If the “Tail of the Dragon” opportunity presents itself, it’s a fair target as well.

The bridge pic is leaving our home in VA (a bit tight).

Spending so much time in the car, there is nary a feature I haven’t mastered, including Car Wash Mode, LOL! We’re even using the iPOD, but still can’t moderate the 130 decibel phone call complete message.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looks like fun! The wife and I are headed to Asheville this Saturday for a quick 1 day BRP run west to Courthouse Valley Overlook then south through Cashiers then home. 7 hours w/o stops but gotta eat and stop and admire the scenery. We were at Biltmore this past w/e but had the truck and didn’t see much outside the estate. Enjoy the views! I hear the leaves are better north of Asheville.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

wthensler likes this.
  3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    dont skip The Tail. Its epic. Avoid the weekends tho

Tarek307 and wthensler like this.
  4. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Building a house in Asheville -- can't wait to be close to those roads.

Napoli likes this.
  5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    HA....we are buying a house in Murphy....in the middle of where are the roads are. :)

6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Born and raised in central NC but moved away after college. BRP run with my Ferrari remains on my to do list.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yesterday it was an early start out of Pigeon Forge to the famousTail of the Dragon, which boasts 381 turns in the most intense 11 mile stretch you will ever experience. You will want to bring some heat to this ride.

After a wonderful breakfast at Tapoco Lodge to calm the nerves, we popped the top and headed back on 28 towards Bryson, then to Cherokee, picking up the BRP at its south entrance. I will post about the Tail separately in the 458 section.

After thundering through the numerous tunnels on the south section of the BRP, we exited at Asheville and enjoyed late lunch at the Omni Grove Park. Logged over 2,000 miles on the 458, and we’re not done yet - The Snake and some remaining BRP sections still to come.

Gorgeous fall day - enjoy the pics!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc and mikesufka like this.
  8. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Tall about “ having the time of your life ... “

MDS

9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    AD211, Drson and SVCalifornia like this.
  10. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    Did this trip on our goldwing a few years ago.

looking forward to doing it in our 458 or turbo S soon.

Thanks for sharing and giving me a motivation to getting off my ass and go again.

Mike

wthensler likes this.