blower resistor issues, help on discontinued part | FerrariChat

blower resistor issues, help on discontinued part

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by islong, Jul 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islong

islong Karting

Jul 6, 2021
    GREENVILLE, SC
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum as I just picked up my first F-car. It is a 2003 360 modena F1 in Grigio Titanio with a black daytona interior, the 19 inch CS wheels, and Challenge rear grille. It needs a little bit of love, and definitely an exhaust system as I find the car to be way too quiet. I am having one main issue though that is keeping me from enjoying this car. My blower motor is staying on even with the car shut-off and the only way I can keep it from eating my battery is to use the cut-off switch. I had it diagnosed by GTM in upstate, SC (awesome people by the way) while they did my belt service and they found it to be a blower resistor, part # 64280200. I thought this to be great news as the parts isn't very expensive at all, however, they let me know quickly that it was discontinued by Ferrari. I still can't believe it as this part was used on 360, 430, 456, 550, 575, and enzo models. If anyone could help with a solution to this I would be very grateful as I am striking out just about everywhere.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    The series resistor is a simple part that many makes and models use. It doesn't need to be a Ferrari OEM part. You could probably use one made for a Honda, Toyota, VW, Fiat, Alfa, etc. Or use this one that I had to replace in my Porsche 993 when I had the same issue with my fans:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99361652101E.htm?pn=993-616-521-01-E-INT&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiqWHBhD2ARIsAPCDzalQho6k-64Xyil605z8WyMJvtV8mAiVIhrmu7rcO0s90QjkEZNw118aAoRBEALw_wcB

Who knows, you might even be able to buy a suitable one at an auto parts store. I don't know if all these resistors are interchangeable, but if they're close to the same specification any of them should work.

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Just gotta worry about ohm-value and wattage. Higher wattage is better and ohms can be approximate…or is it a thermistor??

SV

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    BigTex likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Excellent find!!!

Seems the answer. really....

6. islong

islong Karting

Jul 6, 2021
    GREENVILLE, SC
    Full Name:
    Ian
    i've tried to get in touch with that place in the UK several times now and haven't had any luck in getting a response.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. Technozen does have a presence on eBay with a high rating. It seems to be a small, work-at-home type business, however.

Here's one of their eBay ads

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163652870506

Google Earth shows a medicine delivery van outside Technozen's address. Hope he's ok :p

greg246 likes this.
  8. islong

islong Karting

Jul 6, 2021
    GREENVILLE, SC
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I was finally able to get in touch with Technozen-- and they said they could fix the part. However, in the meantime of no communication, I sent an email to everywhere in the world (literally) that listed the part online. Out of those, only a few got back in touch with me. Luckily, one of the companies (out of belgium) had a wrecked 360 that was coming in the next day and i secured the part from them. I am still going to have Technozen fix this part for me as a backup after finding out what a nightmare this was to source. Driving around without AC in south carolina summers is not fun, and using the cuttoff switch is just as bad.