blew my boat motor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

blew my boat motor

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by rob lay, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it never has. :D

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was an odd conversation.....my transom rating is 180HP.

"Maybe we can find a 175?"
    "Do they still make those?"

"We can't over power your boat, Sir...."
    "Okay then".....

The original buyer avoided the 175HP because his insurance rates go up, as you approach Max. rating. LOL!

I hope I can get my old one started, I USED the Storage Sealant......!!!
    What...eight years ago......

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if your transom rating 180, then perfectly fine to go 175, those ratings are sort of conservative. There might be more options at 150 though. The 150's today are more torquey, reliable, and fuel efficient than the 150's of before. I love the Mercury 2-stroke although EPA is pushing out all 2-strokes.

4. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I assume on that type of a boat they are 2 strokes for weight and performance?

70-80MPH is nuts. Just one wake away from it going very bad. But hey, most people seem to do just fine.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, many are going to 4-strokes now and all will be within 10 years, but the 2-strokes still have advantage power and especially reliability. 4-strokes have good reputation torque and the hole shot, but everyone scared because of reliability.

6. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This surprises me a bit. I've got twin 275HP Verados on my Whaler. They've been reliable as a stone. Maybe higher maintenance costs but I don't have to put oil in them. The oil probably isn't a big deal for you as you might not do long trips. They are so quiet and the drive by wire is a step function improvement. That said, all the two strokes I've driven deliver more grunt off the bottom and wind up faster. I think they are 50-100lbs lighter too.

Pretty much all of the law enforcement boats are 4 strokes. They put thousands of hours on them.

I wouldn't not buy a 4S because of reliability.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #32 Texas Forever, May 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, love it.

9. ms tifosi

ms tifosi Rookie

Mar 4, 2014
    Rob I had no idea that there was another bass junkie that existed in the Ferrari world other than myself! It is awesome to see someone else besides me on this forum that is eaten up with it. I'm currently running a 2014 Z521C with the SHO. And like yourself I too am active in the tourneys. I used to do the BFL's and Everstarts and even did the Open's one year but dad passed away and life changed but still do manage to fish some local derbies.
    Back to your motor issue that does stink. No worse feeling then being on the water and have a mechanical issue especially when competing in a derby. A close friend of mine has been running Mercs for years and he tells me that he has to have them retourque the motor mounts every 60 to 70 hours. He had the same issues that you did with them wearing out. Anyhow nice to see we share a couple passions! If you ever over in Mississippi let me know and we will go chase em....

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very cool! one of the Elite guys was FChat user 10+ years ago, but I wasn't that involved back then and don't remember who they were. Most of my tournaments are done for year, going to coangle the Tour event at Champlain and have one more Costa event left for Southwest.

11. ms tifosi

ms tifosi Rookie

Mar 4, 2014
    Dad and I went to I Cast prob 5 years ago now and we spent a lot of time talking to Takahiro. He is eat up with Ferrari but have to work to understand him! Good luck at Champlain and better bring a mouth piece. I hear when it blows it can jar your fillings loose. I am headed to Montreal this weekend and missing our last Fishers of Men derby this weekend but hopefully my partner can take care of it for us.