"BlahBlah" was the first Supercar | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"BlahBlah" was the first Supercar

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #26 Sfumato, Oct 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bugatti 35B, anyone??
    1924, won more grand prix than any other car, could drive it to track, race, win, and drive to work...8C2300B fits too, but 35 was most dominant.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The first supercar? The Hispano Suiza Alfonso XIII of 1911, a car which could do 80 mph on a good day and was just too cool for school. Owned by a king, built in Paris and the mark’s deeds occupying three pages of print in Autocar - that’s the definition of a Supercar. Next up the Bugatti 35, though if you depended on it to get to work every day you would soon be unemployed. Let’s face it, a supercharged in line eight with three roller bearings holding the wiplash......sorry, I meant crankshaft - is not a recipe for reliability, particularly when most of the machine was built out of porous aluminum. There are tons of competitors for the title after that with the Lamborghini Miura heading my list but isn’t ‘the first modern supercar’ a touch of an oxymoron at the end of the day?
    Kram

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If you would please. :)

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I love Blower Bentleys from the 20s too :) Now THOSE were COOL

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Its raining right now but if i don't foget i will post some pictures.

6. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Er...Sfumato.....Isn't that a picture of a Bugatti 51? Twin overhead cam? The 35 was a single, the 35C had a supercharger.....
    Kram

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #32 Sfumato, Oct 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Keeerist, I was not paying attention lately...yep, that's a 51, someone else mentioned it to me today...mea culpa, I screwed up Nepal and Siam the other day as well on ERA's.
    Here's a naked 35. I agree the Hisso Alphonso is a contender too, but 35 has more race victories. At least in early days, that mattered. Agree with Duesies too, as they won Indy years on end, as did the Bentley truck brigade.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login