"Blackbird" books | FerrariChat

"Blackbird" books

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by mikesufka, Nov 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I think I just scored. I couldn't sleep last night and logged on to Amazon around 3:00 AM. Saw a "very good" condition of Sled Driver by Brian Shul for sale. $123.00 Bought it. Then, checked on the Untouchables, also by Brian Shul, and bought a "very good" condition of that one too. $85.00.

I've been looking for Sled Driver for years. I remember about two years ago, I passed on one for $200. Now, they seem to be commanding even bigger prices. $300 - $2500.

MDS

2. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    great find,,i've been looking for those for years,after i got to see a friends books

3. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    Nice..I'd have grabbed it for that price too..I remember looking for a copy of Sled Driver a while ago and it was around 250 I think.

4. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    I have not sprung for "Sled Driver" but I do have a copy of "The Untouchables" autographed by Brian himself.

5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    "Sled Driver" arrived yesterday. Spent a few hours last night reading it, cover to cover. The text was great but the pictures were incredible. Highly recommended for you "BlackBird" fans!!!!

MDS

6. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    two copies for $600/ea on Amazon..bah.

7. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    How do you like that book? Is there anything in their worth reading that can't be found elsewhere?

8. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    I like the book very much but I would not recommend it as anyone's first Blackbird book. The book is filled with essays and anecdotes from pilots, ground and technical support personnel which IMO set this book apart from others as they are unique first hand accounts I have not seen elsewhere. It is truly the perfect partner to Sled Driver as the perspective of each book is different but complimentary. "The Untouchables" has more of a human storyline with Habu as the main feature.

Paul Crickmore's book is still the best I've seen from an overall history and technical perspective.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Well it took nearly 20 years, but I finally got a like-new 2003 centennial limited edition Sled Driver book. It's the one with the four signatures inside including the first Blackbird pilot Bob Gilliland among others (he passed away last July RIP). It cost a pretty penny, but I waited for a decent price and a non-personalized message by Shul on the inside cover. All of the ones I found had someones name, but this one did not. There is a golden anniversary set you can buy new right now it appears for $500 or so and it includes The Untouchables, which mine doesn't have. I'll keep this forever and it will go well with my memorabilia I bought from Nasa some years ago. :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Closest I can come to that is a copy of Blackbird Rising signed by Donn Byrnes, but the photos are non-existent.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    As an author dealing with Amazon who did publish my book through Amazon and Kindle I will no longer be interested in anything Amazon. I wrote the book, put it together, and they manufactured it. They recently prohibited me as an author from purchasing my book at author's price like most other publishers do and I have to pay the full price. So, I no longer can offer autographed copies . I wasn't selling the books and making big bucks , I was self promoting, I guess. There is no advertising or promotion by Amazon that is obvious so it is up to me to do the marketing while they make the profit, however small. I get the huge royalty of 5.00 bucks for every sale. I never realized how much work and expense was involved in writing and publishing a book. I'm not young enough to try it again, especially with Amazon.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I refuse to do any business with Amazon. My friends think I'm crazy for being the only person they know without Prime. I can't stand the way they treat their employees, sellers, and many other issues I won't get into here. I wish nothing but the worst for them.

Hopefully you can find another way to promote and sell your book. Sled Driver was something I've had my eye on well before online sales took over the market so I don't know what the best methods are to suggest unfortunately.

Bob Parks likes this.
  13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm working on another smaller book but I will work with one of the many smaller outfits. The problem with them is the hassle of formatting and editing that take time and effort that I am short on right now.

Tcar likes this.
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Bob, maybe you ought to take a trip to downtown Seattle and give Jeff Bezos a piece of your mind. You're not that far away.

15. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    About 10 years ago I picked up a signed copy of Sled Driver (in very good condition) in a thrift shop in San Francisco for $8 bucks while I was on holiday. I could hardly control my hand shaking while I handed over the cash!

John

Bisonte and mikesufka like this.