BJJ blue belt test | Page 3 | FerrariChat

BJJ blue belt test

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rdefabri, Feb 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    SO, because of my belly, I decided to go back to my BJJ class and start training. It's been 3 years. Hopefully I can be motivated. I think i've moved on in my life and BJJ has dropped low on the totum pole. But it's the only workout that works so quickly for me.

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    How was your initial return session?

I agree with you - there is no better workout for me, at my age, than rolling.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #53 ag512bbi, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    The first one was Ok. I only rolled one time for 5 minutes after a tough 1:30 session. I rolled with a young purple and hung in VERY well. I was Exausted after only 5 minutes though. Then I went back and didnt roll the second day. Today I think ill go all out and try to roll atleast two 5 min. sessions.
    So, What's it like 4 you being a blue belt. Do you feel more pressure?

4. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    At first, yea, I felt more pressure. We line up by rank, so now I am near the front. Sounds stupid, but some of our guys are rough and tumble, I just felt weird being there.

But something strange has happened - I've gotten a quiet confidence. I feel much more intrepid and willing to try things, and one of my first sessions post promotion, I tapped a bunch of people. I nearly tapped a new black belt - I had the sub locked up, but I wasn't positioned properly. I think I had it in well, but he wouldn't tap and time ran out, but I was right there.

I think as I get closer to purple, it will hit me. I am nervous about that journey, but I keep telling myself that everyone's path is different. I do this primarily for fun, and compete on the side, and knowing that keeps me grounded.

I'll tell you what has me nervous - Hermes Franca is coming back to our tatame, and I'll be working out with him. I don't want to do anything dumb :)

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    OK, did two 7 min. rolls with a 7 minute break in between, Slowly but surly i'm getting there.

6. Bullitt1

Bullitt1 Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrats on the promotion!!! Keep going :)

I think this thread should be split if we want to discuss the self defense, which MA is best for fighting, stuff so as not to distract from the achievements.

7. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    #57 charliebronson, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    Congrats on your belt promotion. Remember that the drop out rate is the highest between blue and purple so stay focused.

In regards to belt promotions, BJJ is as far as I know the only discipline where one consistently has to beat equal and higher ranked practioners in order to get promoted. In TKD, Karate, Judo, Kung fu etc, one has to prove to be worthy. However, one doesn't necessarily have to beat someone to get promoted. This is what gives BJJ belt testing its credibility. I've seen quite a few blackbelts in many other disciplines that I didn't think were worthy, but in BJJ not so much.

Fish, you make a few valid points in regards to gutter fighting. In reality however, no amount of gutter fighting skills will prevent someone really intent on hurting you or taking your property and/or life. In most cases , not even being armed or even having armed guards will help when someone really is intent on hurting or robbing you. What will you do if the guy pulls a gun on you standing at a distance? Put a knuckle in his forehead? How will you prevent someone from stabbing or shooting you in the back while you are distracted with something in front of you? You talk about BJJ as yet another incomplete system, but although I am unfamiliar with Cestari's system, I'm fairly certain it wont protect you from a bullet when you aren't aware of the assailant.

I've trained all my life (TKD (12 years international competition), muay thai, boxing, kempo and mma). Kempo is perhaps the best application on the street but they're all really nothing more than sports performed in controlled environments. They won't help against a gun, because these disciplines weren't designed to do so. I don't think Cestari's system is either. In fact even if one is armed and really quick on the draw, it won't help when someone already has a gun on you (especially from behind).

Fish, it sounds like you've been in combat but have you been in a life and death situation as a civilian? How would you react if an armed assailant held you up from behind? What would you do if four guys disabled your guard, held you and your staff up at gun point, duck taping your mouth and tie strapping your hands from behind? Not having a "fight/flight hesitation built in", being "likely to have a few weapons on you" and all your training won't help you if one or more armed assailants decides to take you out.

I personally think Cestari's philosophy is a bit overkill for a bar brawl. As far as a real life and death situation, I'm afraid no amount of "gutter" training will save you. However, an ounce of "ok take the cash" is worth a million pounds of "I'm alive".

-Peter Oh

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I won't quit - I promise! Seriously addicted to BJJ, it would take financial or physical issues to stop me now.

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    continue!!!!! I just came back from my class. Today I rolled with my friend who was a brown belt with me 3 yrs. ago. Now he is a black belt. Man did i get a whoppin' . Just goes to show what 3+ years of in activity can do. He went to Brazil to train for a while (he is Brazilian). So... I got a LONG way to go!!!!!

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    You have an excuse - you've been out for a bit of time. I have no doubt you'll pick it up quickly and get competitive - shoot for that black belt!!

Now that I am a blue, all the whites are gunning for me. There's one guy that's a phenom in wrestling and actually trained MMA with Kurt Pellegrino...he drubbed me like 3 times!

He's young and tough as nails...I guess I should be proud that my 2 years of training has prepped me well to compete against someone with 6+ years of high caliber wrestling and at least a year of MMA - and he could be my kid! At least I am trying to see the silver lining :)

I am going to start competing more - I think that should up my game. Going to slow down on the beers too. I normally don't gain weight, but for some reason, I am not losing it either. I want to be 175 or less, especially for the Pan Ams coming up in NYC (these are the No Gi Championships).

Anyone else considering the Pan Ams? We should get together if there's a contingent of F-Chatters!

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Age has ALOT to do with it! Just be happy and achive what you can. That's where my mindset is these days. Being almost 43, I'm not out the gun people down anymore. Im just in there for the workout, AND BOY IS IT WORKING!!!!!!!

12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Indeed - I'll be 42, and my primary reasons for doing this was staying in shape. I do have a bit of the competiton bug though - which is also a good way to progress!

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Hows training doing? I'm DONE!!!!!

14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Read my thread on the biceps rupture I suffered (in Health and Fitness) - tore the bicep right off the bone! Needless to say...I am done too! :)

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    How's the bicep coming along?

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I would say it's completely recovered - thanks for asking! Full ROM, tricep is back to full mass / strength, bicep is probably 80% of original mass.

Still some mild elbow pain, believe it or not, but I had a little pre-injury too. Likely from my desk job.

I am debating what to do vis-a-vis BJJ - I really want to go back, but I do not want to get re-injured (obviously). My professor is aggressive - loads of judo throws and rolling at 90%. My orthopedist was very clear that I would not likely injure it again, but that age plays a major part. He noted that although I am in phenomenal shape, the tendons become stretched and fragile over time.

I don't anticipate another problem - I just want a slightly less aggressive program. I will probably not compete, but I love the art and want to improve!

Are you still out or have you tried to return?

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Look into Boxing. One on One with a trainer. Hitting mitts getting in the ring. Not just a cardio class. Private. That's the direction I took. I LOVE IT! i learn so much and you lose inches off your waist QUICK! I've been doing it now for over 3 months.

18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Might be worth a look! I know a guy at BJJ that cross-trains boxing - he loves it. We have a gym not far from me, so that would work well...