BJJ blue belt test | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BJJ blue belt test

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rdefabri, Feb 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Appreciate the offer. Definitely ok in the protection department :)

2. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The past month has been intense test review, so I have more clarity about what we'll be doing. It's much more formal than I expected, there's a protocol you must follow before demonstrating technique.

One thing my instructor injects quite a bit is judo throws - feels that as BJJ evolves further from Judo, standup is becoming a lost art. We have to know 10 throws, all of which I know pretty well (although some better than others).

I also have to receive throws properly - got quite a bit of practice yesterday as I had to do that for 2 different students simultaneously, so I got thrown 2x as much as the others...needless to say, I am a little sore today :)

2 weeks to go.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #28 ag512bbi, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    How well do you think you can hang with an MMA fighter in a street fight?
    How long have you been training? How well do you think you can do against a BJJ student of the same experience that you have?? Him wearing a gi?????
    Have you tried? You should. I'd love to see the outcome.

5. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    #30 fish78, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    I don't mean to be brash, but I would kill an MMA fighter in the street...no sense in fighting him...just kill him quickly by whatever means necessary.

I don't play games or wear gis...maybe if I were younger, such competition might hold an interest...now, I am old and grumpy and have no interest in such things.

6. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    #31 fish78, Jun 9, 2010

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    MMA is definitely not the end-all be-all of fighting. A decent amount of strength and stamina, a variety of martial arts skills, decent pain threshold, and lots of naked aggression would be the best combination to have. In the variety of skills, I would include, as an absolute minimum:
    Combat training
    Chinese boxing or some equivalent
    Some knife, stick or weapon skills
    Some aikido and BJJ

8. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    #33 fish78, Jun 9, 2010
    I agree with the exception of Akido...never found anything useful there...in fact, this has all been solved...goes by various names...Combat Judo, Jujutsu, Defendu, Gutter Fighting...all the same thing...in reality Fairbairn had a complete MMA system if you really look at the whole thing, not just the short course he taught in WWII.

"Fairbain's system is a combination, of ferocious blows, holds, and throws, adapted from Japanese Jujutsu & Judo, Chinese Boxing, Sikh Wrestling, French Foot Fighting, Cornish Collar-and-Elbow Wrestling, American Boxing, plus knife-fighting and Hip-Level Quick Firing"

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen

10. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Aikido because you it helps you get a great understanding of weight, momentum, and redirection of forces, rather than trying to counter them head-on all the time. Yes, it can be skipped, if you understand those principles. Certainly they are incorporated in the other stuff, just not broken out explicitly, and it really is very important to understand them in order to overcome someone with more momentum than you...either because of their weight, or their speed, or both.

Next level would be Jedi mind tricks, of course. :)

11. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    #36 fish78, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  12. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    #37 fish78, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
    Carl's site
    http://www.carlcestari.com/index.html

In the picture section, notice Carl with the Gracies, as I said earlier BJJ was not unfamiliar to him...Carl always took the best from each system he studied and from that came up with 'his' system...bottom line is you do whatever it takes to be the one who goes home to his family...let the other family deal with funerals.

In his own words:
    "I want the best methods for beating the **** out of my enemies."

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #38 ag512bbi, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    No offense to you, but I wasn't too impressed. To me, it's just another form of Martial art. Like how you see BJJ. EVERYONE always thinks there discipline is the best. Alot of those moves are moves that BJJ uses also. but the Biting and poking eyes out may be one way of "winning" but if you want to go that far, Just keep punching the opponent in the balls no need for that other stuff.
    But again, I respect what you believe in and I really am not trying to dishonor you discipline. To each his own to the whole world of Martail arts.

14. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    I hold no grude against BJJ, my entire point is that none of the competition based MAs prepare you for real world violence...its just my opinion that because of that, they offer an incomplete fighting system...and when and if the feces hits the fan, its not belts or ranks that will save your life, again in my opinion, the gutter fighting will, and has in the past.

If a person is interested in competition, then BJJ is essential, but it is far from a complete fighting system. Further, it has been my experience that MOST...certainly not all, dojos catering to the public are more interested in your money than teaching useful skills...At my stage in life, I have no use for anything that does not help me render an opponent helpless or dead, in the quickest, most efficient way possible.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No way. It may be the most complete "unarmed commercial" form in the city environment in a control gym environment. Context will change the environment and the effect of range in the combat. MMA taught today can lack some serious adaptations in training method that can help a student really accel. It is not bjj that makes MMA great but the appreciation of the ground game and expansion of complete training multiple ranges and the flow between them. There is no question that bjj is important and will be for years to come until it is forgotten and the circle continues. If you look back at UFC 1-10 Gracie killed everyone with simple basic technique and his simplistic takedowns worked 100% of the time. Fast forward to today and look at the evolution and success of anti-grappling in attempts to deliver knockouts. Anti-grappling is working because these anti-grapplers know grappling and have solid ground games. We all now work the ground like crazy and we have graci and machado to thank for that. But as anti-grappling techniques take hold and prove successful we are already seeing guys with successful anti-grappling and lesser ground games which eventually ends up in superior stand-up and then the cycle continues. Sifu/Guro Inosanto told us it would be this way back in the 1970's when we could not understand why Sigung Bruce Lee wrestled and defeated Kareem on the ground in the "Game of Death" movie. He tried to explain the circular evolution of the arts and the new direction the arts would take but we did not understand until we lived it with the BJJ explosion in the 80's. Then we dumb students got the "ah ha" moment.

My non-projectile backround starts in the early 70's right after Sigung Lee's death: Jun fan/JKD, kali/escrima, Thai kickboxing, Western boxing, various penjak silats heavy on mande muda family, gotch submission wrestling, catch wrestling, shoto,BJJ,mma. The arts are a blast!

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is never the art and always the man. If you freeze you fail most of the time. But at times there is superior technology available so that even if you kinda freeze you could still win. To be a consistent winner on or off the street you have to understand context, have the skills and the personality to win.

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I respect everyones opinion. The arts are a great thing! Now go train!!!!!!!!!

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    karate kid rules!

:D

19. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Precisely, it is always the man, not the art...and that is why "gutter fighting" excels...its based on gross motor movements, the basic techniques can be taught in a few hours, much less tendency to freeze, the actions, once properly drill become alsmost automatic...and if you wathed the clip where Carl demos the need to intoduce an element of fear into your training...helps abit withe adreneline dump...I am lucky in that I have never had the tendency to freeze, even as a kid lifeguarding, I pulled several folks out because I acted when the other lifeguards froze...fight or flight hesitation must have been left out of my genetic make up.

20. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Since I started this thread, wanted to pull it back on topic. I took the test yesterday, and after 5 hours of drills, technique, and competition, I can proudly say mission accomplished - I was earned my blue belt!

The whole day was somewhat surreal, starting with the entrance of Hermes Franca to the gym, and Rodrigo Uzeda, who is the lead BJJ instructor at Miletich in Iowa. Since there were about 35 people testing for various belts / stripes, we were broken out in groups, and I was in Hermes Franca's group - talk about intense! I figured that if I am going to do this, what better way than to be evaluated by Franca - really great and down to earth guy too!

We started at 11:00am and finished at 4:00pm. I was hungry and exhausted, but truly enjoyed the whole process. Once we finished, they lined everyone up - about 20 people each side, and when our names were called, we ran the gauntlet. I chose to walk it, but man do those belts hurt. Hermes was the last in the gauntlet, and by far, his shot was the worse. I have a high pain threshold, and I can tell you I was honored to take those shots (yes, that sounds weird, but with respect to any martial art, I've always respected tradition).

2 guys were promoted to black belt - very cool to see that happen, and dare I say, a little emotional for me.

I am sore this morning, but satisfied and committed to continuing my journey wherever it takes me!

21. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Congratulations!

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks - I appreciate it!

23. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    CONGRATS!!!! No small accomplishment---Takes alot of dedication----My 10 yr old son just moved up to blue belt from white belt last week in BJJ , but your testing sounds way more intense than what he went thru....

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Congratulations!!!!!! a BIG achievement. Continue on. The rewards are HUGE.

25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks! I am stoked, and I am looking more at tournaments to help keep my skills tight. Upcoming NAGA events looking good.

Hermes Franca is giving a seminar on our Tatame in 2 weeks - will be good to see him again!