Bill in GA senate requiring any car over 650hp to be registered with Gov? | FerrariChat

Bill in GA senate requiring any car over 650hp to be registered with Gov?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by LMPDesigner, Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Evidently a result of the street racing thru Atlanta there is a bill in the senate that would require all cars having more than 650 hp to be registered with GA gov.

Not sure it will get anywhere but shows how stupid some of our pols really are.

1.) Typical street racers are "Rice rocket" cars. And way below 650 hp. Yea-Some are above that but the vast majority of street races are probably 250 hp or less.

2.) So how does registering 650+ hp cars prevent these guys from street racing?

3.) A lot of 650+ hp cars are high $$ sports and luxury cars. Ferrari, Lambo's, AMG's, etc. Plus the Camaro/Corvette/Mustang/etc crowd. But most of these guys are, again, not your typical street racer.

So how will this help? Will not stop street racers. Where I work the parking lot across from me/road is a very well known and used place for street racers. Usually 10+ at night, workdays. I get 100-200 rice rockets in front of me at least once a month. And maybe 3-5% of the cars there would fit this bill.

So you are targeting the wrong people. And how will this stop street racing? Basically this is some politician who has no idea what they are dealing with but decided they needed to do "something". Basically clueless.

But the gov will have a data base of all of these "hi performance" cars-like they represent some sort of threat/issue to deal with?

Our gov/pols are morons......But we vote for them. So we are also morons....

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    massive amount of gun violence in buckhead and atlanta.......

nothing better to do i guess

BT likes this.
  3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Funny, no matter what I do I can't make over 649 HP

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's not just street racing. At about 7 PM a couple of nights ago, I was going westbound on I-285 in Dunwoody in the #2 lane at about 75 mph. Two late-model Dodge Challengers passed me on either side doing, I would estimate, about 125. They had to slow down ahead as they arrived at slower traffic near GA-400 but I could not see where they went after that.....

5. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    They're after all those f'ng hood rats in the "Hellcats" that block the hwy's and intersections to do their dumba$$ burnouts and chit.

SpencerMarks likes this.
  6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Don’t we already have to register all cars with the government? How would this be any different?

7. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Dumbest idea ever. Don;t they know you already register the car with the VIN to get the Tag. They already know the specs from that. Idiots.

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I find it amusing that the reporters keep calling doing the burnouts 'street racing'. It is actually called a sideshow. They are also really annoyed with all the kids riding non registered ATV and dirt bikes through the city. Personally, I love it. It is great that in numbers these kids can give government the middle finger without really hurting anyone.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    About 3 weeks ago I was driving down Peachtree about 7 pm. I heard all this loud noise ( thougth something wrong with my car ) here it was a bunch of idiots on 4 wheelers - dirt bikes, etc... popping wheelies and literally swamping traffic ... in and out of both lanes. its dangerous behavior.. I know of two people who have had damage to their cars. Last weekend driving through buckhead... no fewer than 5 police cars with people in cuffs... 3 had the charger type cars.. the crack down is happening. The threat of Buckhead leaving Atlanta I think has finally caught bottoms attention - and all that tax rev going.

ATLdoghouse and BT like this.
  10. cheesey2

cheesey2 Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ivars Blumenau
    it/s hard to manage the infinite wisdom of our comrads in politics as has been mentioned run the VIN at the DMV through a filter and any engine size can be identified

11. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Just a money grab from the more affluent people who would own these cars under the guise of safety instopping Street racing and side shows.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    stupid is as stupid does...

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I drive 2-3k a month here, most of the idiot drivers I see weaving in an out of traffic at 30 over are old Camrys, Nissan Altimas, and jackasses in someone else's work truck.

tazz99 likes this.
  14. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    Agreed 100%. Most of the worst driving I see, 4/5 times they're in a total POS car. It's a good indicator of their mentality.

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    What people don't realize, is that those Accords are really fast...