Big Water | FerrariChat

Big Water

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Sep 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #1 Texas Forever, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Not huge waves but I grew up boating the American San Juan's and Canadian Gulf Islands of the pacific northwest. The worst I've had is around 6ft waves. I'm 44 now and when I fully retire at 50. My plan is to buy a 57 Nordhavn and do some of their owner group trips. They've crossed the Atlantic. They did Seattle to Japan. Id like to do Vancouver to the Caribbean and Florida.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-3WCGSVWc[/ame]

Their Atlantic rally: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcNrrLaffI[/ame]

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, this pic of Typhoon Meranti is from a buoy. I also didn't mean to imply I have been in water any where that big. I have lived most my life on the Gulf Coast, and it is a bathtub compared to the Pacific. Don't misunderstand. Coming about in 8 to 10 seas gets interesting. Not only is the boat going up and down, but yawing side to side.

But the Pacific scares me. I once few first class to Maui and was glued to the window the whole flight. THAT IS BIG WATER. I have heard tales of 60 foot sailboats doing a 180 when they got hit by a rouge wave. I think I'll stick with my bathtub. :)

4. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I have a friend who is sailing around the world. Most of the time he's alone. I think he's crazy. I grew up on water and love it, but I have a healthy respect for it.

5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    8' seas are especially annoying when trying to grab the ladder on the back of a dive boat. Can't imagine what it must be like on a boat in properly huge swells.

6. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The problem with big water is that you can't pull over and stop. It goes on and on. Navigating every wave and avoiding stuffing the bow into one is a hassle for 15 minutes. It's a PITA for 6hrs or whatever.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    True, it's the anxiety that never goes away.