Big Bend National Park. | FerrariChat

Big Bend National Park.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by texasmr2, Jan 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was not sure of which forum I should post in so apologies apply.

I received a call last night from a good buddy asking for company ie travel companion to Big Bend within the next 4-6 weeks which was followed by .02 seconds before he got a "Hell yes" reply. No specific departure date set as of yet but after some banter the initial plans are BB, Terlingua and then a tour over the border into Mexico via Lajitas.

Should be quite the journey.

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #2 DIGMAN52, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #3 UroTrash, Jan 26, 2016
  4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #4 texasmr2, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Great pictures and I have not seen a Road Runner in 20+.

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    #5 sidtx, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    About a murder and subsequent investigation, trial and aftermath in Terlingua.

There's a lot of awesome footage of the surrounding areas.

Plus, a lot of insight into the type of people that live "200 miles from anything" - as they put it.

Sid

P.S - As a native of El Paso, and well versed in Border issues/problems, here's a little advice before crossing the border. Please, Please make sure you don't have any firearms OR AMMO on you, or in your vehicle before you cross the border into Mexico. Even a single .22 round will get you many, many years in prison in Mexico.

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sid,
    The show you speak of is 'Badlands, Texas' which I am familiar with and have followed.

Looks like the trip is a "no go" now, probably for the best any way.

7. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #7 malcolmb, Feb 5, 2016
  8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #8 mwr4440, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    I lived in the Park at Panther Junction, where the Visitor Center is located. That whole Park was my 'Front Yard.' I have stories by the thousands. From ghoulish, to Hollywood, to dinosaurs, to funny as hell.

For car guys, the park is littered with abandon Model T's. IF you know where to look.

Look up the hill form the Visitor Center and you'll see houses. Mine is second from the left. Further up the hill is one of the last 2-Room school houses left in the US.

The three peaks you see behind that are L 2 R:

Pummel, Wright and Panther.

Look close and you can see Mousehead on Wright(facing right).

Below Mousehead are some beautiful small intermittent falls, at the end of Mouse Canyon. Used to skinny dip up there years ago with the other 'Park Service Brats.' (CoEd ;)) Today, you might run into a Mountain Lion. They are seen frequently. Enjoy! I NEVER saw one. :(

Spring is the best time to go to Big Bend. The desert goes 'full-blume' and just EXPLODES with color.

Call the Visitor Center for date recommendations.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was really looking forward to the TRIP lol but the host/friend who called and invited me has gone "off grid", in a manner of speaking. Such a shame but probably a blessing in disguise.

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Considering Big Bend used to be a huge artery in drug smuggling northward, and probably still is, You are probably correct (blessing in disguise) for an off-duty cop.

Most candela(chewing gum base) was smuggled thru Big Bend too. Met a couple of those guys out in the open desert, and they looked straight out of a 'Spaghetti Western.'

Thankfully, kids, even gringo (white) kids, back in those days, were 'off-limits.'

11. Backyard Buddy

Backyard Buddy Karting

Mar 8, 2015
    You should plan a road trip anyway! Such a great way to travel and see so much.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Wish I could but brought mom home from the hospital a few days ago and I'm am now playing caretaker. I must also put my NOPD testing on hold until we know more about her condition. At least I know that they will be hiring for the next few years.