big bad dogs | FerrariChat

big bad dogs

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by zudnic, Nov 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I realize many here travel for business. I know some like having a dog that can scare away intruders when they are away.

I have a German Shepard. He is a nice dog. But if I'm dealing with a situation with my family. He is put outside or in his crate. You see he is very tuned to tension. The police dog is not only searching scent. They are looking for tension. A hiding bad guy is worried police will discover their hiding spot. The dog is finding a scent yes. But it finds the right location by reading the tension. Police are not yelling come out or we'll send the dog because they want to scare the bad guy. It tells the dog its a dangerous thing to find. Its to get the dog more alert to danger.

Anyway, if kids play and roughhouse the dog can be fine. But any tension between the kids and the dog watching can cause a bite.

Unless its a happy stable home. Think about this German Shepard is not the smartest dog on the planet. A search and rescue dog is looking for the tension of being lost more so then individual scent. When the dog finds someone their fear tension is suddenly gone. That's what the dog is looking for. The ball is not the reward. Finding the person is. The ball is reward for trusting the handler. German Shepard read tension the best. So this can be dangerous in the wrong home.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew