BICYCLES | Page 5 | FerrariChat

BICYCLES

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Igor Ound, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Sweet!! That's is exactly why I wanted it. I absolutely hate when I'm climbing hard and miss a shift. The whole climb might as well be shot-to-he11 at that point. I also detest trimming the front deraileur because of noise. I hope this eliminates it entirely.

2. DocRogers

DocRogers Karting

Oct 11, 2015
    Maine
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Wait - a cycling thread on a Ferrari forum!?! Oh, this is perfect! I love my cars and motorcycles, of course, but the bike is where my heart truly lies. This Serotta is my current favorite ride. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#103 Ricambi America, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picked it up this morning, and took it for a quick shakedown cruise with my son. (Tomorrow, I'll do some real miles).

[size=+5]WOW[/size]

Between the Di2, an Ultegra wheelset, and about 30 minutes with the LBS using a protractor, bobbin, carpenter's level and a really knowledgable fitment tech, it is like a whole new experience.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Afonsolaw likes this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  5. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I wasn't in the market for a new bike - very happy with my current stable but that new spesh has gone right to the top of my father christmas list :0)

100% yay from me

happy xmas,Bob

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nay, although I generally like the Specialized brand and do use several of their top end saddles.

IMO, while some riders may like riding around on funky-looking gear, most don't; so Specialized could probably go about doing the wind tunnel thing with a bit more elegance and flair. Sometimes I think some bike manufacturers, just like some car makers, run out of good ideas and just make lazy half-baked stuff instead of great stuff, just to come up with something new every year, simply to keep (some) people spending money.

Amateur and recreational riders have a lot more latitude in choosing equipment. Top end Specialized gear is very expensive and at those prices they need to look as good as they function. The aero concepts in this Venge are also not at all new and other makers do manage to produce much better-looking aero bikes. It's like buying a new Fcar, very few owners race their cars so just how many prospective buyers would prefer an ugly one over a great-looking one, if the cars also performed equally well?

I think they can clean up the awkwardness and have a much more polished product.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Don't know, I kinda like it. It gets ugly soon, though, when the owner needs to raise the bars which can only be done by adding an ugly stack of thick stem spacers or employing some weird risers drops developed appositely

8. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I look at these slammed bars, and while I absolutely understand the functionality, all I see is a seriously aching back.

On another note, I've been working to measure my FTP accurately via a Tacx trainer, and some Trainer Road/Sufferfest workouts (and some fun Zwift riding too). Before I post any numbers... I'm just curious what the more experienced riders think I should work toward.

* 46 years old (but getting older every day)
    * 144-147 pounds (stable, over the course of 6 months)
    * Believe my resting HR to be ca. 43 bpm.
    * VO2max 68-72 (tested with Polar HRM, so keep that in mind)

I am a rank amateur, by all measures. These days, a normal ride is 40-50 miles with average pace of about 17-18 mph and climb of 1500 ft.

So.... guess the FTP? I'm curious.

9. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    You've made a ton of progress in a very short amount of time - congrats!

I don't put a lot of stock in FTP numbers gauged by indoor trainers. It's just not real world.

Do you have a power meter on your bike? If so, read up on the FTP Test protocol and get yourself outside to do the test.

Of course, FTP isn't that indicative of how badass you've become...you want to take one more (math) step and calculate your W/Kg where W(atts) is your FTP number. If the result is > 3, then pat yourself on the back.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I like the new electronic training aids but I generally hold a more traditional (old-fashioned) view of the training process. Your personal FTP (functional threshold power) is a useful quantity to gauge and monitor one's performance potential but as we all know your "current FTP" is not an exact quantity and is subject to many factors and conditions that can easily affect your performance.

You haven't provide a full set of your personal physical metrics but I think you look very fit and possess a very good athletic physique. Of course, we all get older and you will need to develop a sense of what sort of physical model to strife for at each latter stage in your life.

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that FTP is about sustainable power output over a period of about 1 hour. So you can gauge that more or less when you analyze suitable indoor training sessions if you use power meters.

11. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#111 Ricambi America, Dec 3, 2015
    Lol... Rick, you're quite charitable with your post. I'm a rank amateur, for sure!

Here's what I reported from the ride this morning (20.2 miles, 1293 ft climbed). I can hit that big 3 watts/Kg, but only for very short periods of time. I'm not sure how to handicap the indoor trainer vs. outdoor power meter (I don't have one).... so this is all I've got.

12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The Watts approximated by your ride analysis SW are also pretty susceptible to error unless you traveled on a constant grade, with no wind, no stop signs, consistent cadence, etc. etc. That said, I've found them to be within reason of what kind of power you were pushing out.

Find a stretch of pavement or bike path with a constant slight incline (1%) that you can ride all out for 20 minutes without interruption. Record just that segment and see what your SW says the Weighted Power is and then subtract 5% - that will give you a reasonable real world FTP...until you splurge on a power meter and find out *da truth*.

There's nothing magic about 3 W/Kg. It's just what some folks consider the line between a recreational cyclist and someone with respectable cycling fitness - for men anyway. A woman over 3 W/Kg is probably a competitive Cat 3/4 rider.

I'm at 3.3 W/Kg. Pro riders are ~6 W/Kg. Then again, I have both of my testicles and don't do EPO.

13. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    I just picked up the Kestrel Talon, great bike for the money, great bang for your buck.
    Light and handles very very well.

14. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    #114 Loz997S, Dec 6, 2015
    A big yay :)

I've ridden Specialized for about 5 years, 200 miles/week, about to switch to Trek with a new sponsorship but not something I wanted to do. Current main bike is an SL4 S-works with DA9000 (I tried Di2 but prefer mechanical for some reason). This was from the Palm Desert Century.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  15. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    #115 TXB4Z, Dec 6, 2015
  16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Most of the posts here are focused high end, high tech bikes. While I have a nice road bike sitting in the garage, I've become fascinated with the old 'path racer' style bike. A new build version is the Pashley Guvnor. I think they look cool and am tempted to build up an old school wood rim bike (preferably based on an Iver Johnson Truss Bridge frame). However, I suspect it will just end up being a display piece. Has anyone ridden one of these? How much comfort and practicality is given up in the quest for style?

Regards,

Art S.

PS. No, I've never been called a hipster :D

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Art, you must be a hipster riding an old school bike to the local microbrewery with your bushy beard and funky tats!

Indeed some of the stuff in this thread is crazy expensive. As a total newbie, I'm struggling to find ways to enjoy this sport without spending large chunks of money. :( My frame is about 10 years old, so I got a very nice deal on it. But the upfit with new wheels, shifters, cassette, etc. has been tough. Add to that, a good helmet and some riding gear... it is all a bit silly.

On the flip side, there is nothing like the experience (in my area) of a beautiful Sunday afternoon ride with friends through the countryside with almost no traffic, rolling hills, and the friendly banter of kicking each other's tail on whatever particular hill/segment/route we're riding.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #118 sherpa23, Dec 7, 2015
    Daniel, normal road bikes aren't that expensive; you should see the one-offs and prototypes in my basement. Some of those are ridiculous. I would usually test them, maybe race them, send my notes to the factory, and sometimes get to keep them :).

Afonsolaw likes this.
  19. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    What's that one?

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's the prototype of what is now the Parlee ESX.

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Not that expensive? ;)

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #122 sherpa23, Dec 9, 2015

The production bikes are less expensive that the prototypes and one offs. I takes a lot to make molds or tubes for just one bike that may never go into production.

I raced the UCI World Cups and Six Days on one off track bike that cost the company something like $20k to produce. After I won on it, they got calls to make some for customers. It was so time consuming they didn't want to make another so they put a price of $30k for the frame. They still had a couple of people insisting on one but company steered them into their z1 custom bikes instead.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I believe it is in the UCI regulations that any equipment used in races should also be available to the markets. That is why even the custom carbon bikes used by the team GB at the Olympics are in theory available but at astronomic prices to discourage buyers.
    There was even some controversy over Wiggins' custom 3D printed titanium aero bars he used on his hour record attempt because they couldn't be normally ordered and bought. UCI rules suck anyway

Congrats on your efforts, impressive!

May I ask you what your height is and what size frames you ride? Tnx

24. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #124 sherpa23, Dec 9, 2015
    Correct by that's relatively new. In the run up to London Olympics, we were all on very custom one off bikes and that's what brought about the rules.

I'm trying to find other pics where you can clearly see the frame.

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Is that a 56 square geo frame? And what kind of saddle/bb setback you ride with? >5cm?