Best world places you have been? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best world places you have been?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rob lay, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ctome3

ctome3 Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    Ridgefield, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom E
    #26 ctome3, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    This thread is great, and it brings back some wonderful memories. :) I've had the travel bug since I was young, though I didn't travel outside the U.S. and Canada until I was an adult (we were mostly a car trip kind of family).

The problem with picking a favorite destination is frankly they've all been great in their own way. Some were more spectacular than others, some were more relaxing than others, some were more thought-provoking than others, but I can't really say I've not enjoyed everywhere I've been. And as much as I'd like to go back to many of them, there are just too many new ones to try!

However, in the spirit of the thread, here are my top personal destinations (in no particular order):
    - Iceland. Spectacular scenery, extremely friendly people. Went in June so it's light nearly all day long.
    - Kenya/Tanzania. Someone earlier talked about their safari in South Africa; ours was a very similar experience in the Maasai Mara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara. Truly something that everyone should experience once in their lives.
    - Sri Lanka. This was one of my first overseas experiences, and the first that was truly vastly different than my own home/lifestyle. It was also the first time I experience the "I am so far away from home that if I try to go any farther I'll actually be coming home." The food, the people, the artwork, the natural wonders were all astounding.
    - Switzerland. We spent December on a Rhine RIver cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, and then spent three days in Montreaux. Absolutely stunning scenery. A highlight was heading up to Zermatt and Gornergrat to get up close and personal to the Matterhorn.
    - Australia. I actually got a chance to live in Melbourne for a year when I was in my mid-20s, so this is a special place for me. But there are so many great places to visit there, as others have pointed out.
    - Rome (and all of Italy, really). As a history buff and a foodie/wino, I can't imagine too many better places. Other highlights were Capri, Sorrento, San Gimigniano, Assisi and Venice.
    - Prague. This was our consensus #1 for our central European tour, which also included Vienna, Krakow, Warsaw, Berlin, Budapest, Dresden, Berlin and Cesky Krumlov. Budapest was a close second, and Krakow right behind that, though they were all special in their own way. When we visited, it was several years after the fall of Communism in these cities but the aftereffects were still very evident. The history and architecture were amazing, however, as was the food and wine.
    - Almost forgot Greece! What an amazing place. We spent some time in Athens (wow, from a history and architecture point of view) and Santorini (wow, from a scenery and beauty point of view).

There are so many other great places too, but unfortunately there are just too many to list. And I've completely ignored the Americas; I heartily agree with Banff and Vancouver as wonderful destinations. I would also throw my hometown of Portland, Oregon, on the list as well.

There are also many places listed in this thread I haven't been yet; I'm glad people have enjoyed them and if they aren't already there I'll be sure to add them to my lifetime itinerary!

71Satisfaction likes this.
  2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Car related: Nurburgring (twice for the 24 Hours)

Non-car: Lake Como.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Great choice on Lake Como. Snuck away for a one day boat tour with the wife when I was in Milan on biz. Idyllic. Would love to just lounge around like a bum on Bellagio, eating pasta, drinking wine, enjoying gelato & just enjoying the scenery...T

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    New Zealand has the most spectacular scenery I've ever experienced. It's a fairly small place so you can see so many different landscapes on one trip. The people there are so nice as well. I'd highly recommend it.

If a tropical destination is what you're after, Jade Mountain resort in St. Lucia is a fantastic resort. Absolutely stunning views and accommodations. The bioluminescent pools in Puerto Rico are something everyone should experience once. I bought a condo in Costa Rica a few years back and have taken a couple trips to Volcano Arenal while there. A very raw and great nature experience.

5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Como was staggeringly beautiful. Wife and I went this year and randomly chose it. We went to Bellagio as well!

We drove from Beaune, France across Switzerland and in to Griante, Italy. Thanks to a self-inflicted GPS screw up a four hour drive took almost ten and we arrived at the hotel (really a B&B) well after the check in time. Exhausted we flopped in bed and woke to a shocking site: our room had a full view of the lake. I'm not really one for beautiful scenery and such but as you said idyllic and really one of the greatest places in the world!

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #31 merstheman, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hong Kong
    Halong Bay Caves
    Ocho Rios
    Singapore
    St. Petersburg
    Norweigan Fjords
    Chilean Fjords
    Rio
    Buenos Aires
    Cape Town
    Kreuger Ntl. Park SA
    Alaska
    Monte Carlo
    Venice
    Villefranche
    Positano
    Capri
    Barcelona
    Santorini
    Montenegro
    Croatia
    Zambezi river/ Vic Falls Zimbabwe
    Iguazu Falls
    Paris
    Cape Horn
    Cape of Good Hope

8. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Leaving for New Zealand in three weeks. And then off to Australia. Can't wait.

9. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    El Salvador and Ireland. Both fun in their own small unique ways.

10. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    In New Zealand spend plenty of time in Queenstown, then visit the nearby vineyards in Central Otago for some great pinot. Finally, make sure you take a small plane and visit Milford Sound...it'll be a major highlight of you trip.

Safe travels,
    Alan
    New Jersey

11. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    In Australia, try to visit Kangaroo Island. If possible, stay at the Southern Ocean Lodge ($2,500 a night but worth it, I swear!).

In Sydney, have a pint of Three Sheets ale at the Lord Nelson pub.

12. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #37 Attitude928, Nov 20, 2015
    For birding: Hula Lake in Israel, Andes Mountains in Chile, Belize, Costa Rica, Salulita in Mexico, & Brooklyn. Next trip is to Capetown.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thanks. I'll be in Sydney for a week.

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Brooklyn?!? Seriously? As in NYC? I was born there and I only remember pigeons!
    :)
    T
    p.s. I've been to Cape Town & it's gorgeous. You'll love it there.

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I have heard this.
    Its rapidly climbing to top 3 on my to-do list.

16. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Best eating, museums and leisurely strolling - Vienna
    Best X-mas markets- Rothenburg, Vienna,
    Best cultural places - Rome, Prague, Vienna, Budapest
    Best scenery and sea fishing - Lofoten Islands
    Best combination of general safety, general hygiene, good food and sun/sea - Cayman Islands

17. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #42 Attitude928, Nov 21, 2015
    Yeah, Brooklyn (it's on a major bird migration path): Ruby crowned kinglets, black skimmers, oystercatchers, 5 types of herons & egrets, greater and lesser scaups, common flickers, tufted titmice, white necked sparrows, double crested cormorants, numerous types of gulls and terns, ospreys in Breezy Point (really Queens), purple sandpipers along the Belt in the winter, plenty of hawks and woodpeckers, ringed necked pheasant, eastern kingbirds...maybe the hipsters brought them in...

Am looking forward to Capetown.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Wow! Could be the hipsters. I don't recall any of those growing up. 😃 Thanks for the knowledge.
    T

19. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #44 Attitude928, Nov 22, 2015
    For snorkeling: 1. Ras muhammad reef, southern Sinai desert, Egypt
    2. Thunderball (James Bond's) Grotto in Staniel Cay, Exumas, Bahamas (see pic)

20. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #45 Attitude928, Nov 22, 2015
  21. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    I was on a safari in Botsuana twice. The experience of a lifetime.
    We slept in tents. The elefants and lions were on the other side of the fabric.
    .. and no, you can't leave the tent during the night for a pee.

22. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #47 Attitude928, Dec 4, 2015
    sverduzco likes this.
  23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    1938, NYC. 1943, Lexington. 1952- 64, Miami. 1953 Cuba. 1954, Cuba. 1955, Smoky Mountians, Blue Ridge MT., Harpers Ferry, DC. Mexico. 1959, SCCA to 1961. 1964-5 Europe-Middle East-Africa Iron Curtain countries. 1965-68' revenue agent all over USA-Canada. 1968-69 Corp. Auditor, USA-Canada. 1970 KEY WEST, 3 months. 1969- to now Lexington. during that time, three trips to Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras. Antigua, Dominica, Dominican Republic twice, Haiti twice, Honduras, St. Lucia, Porto Rico, and a few others. Europe four times, Middle East three times. Austin F1 four times, Concours Five times, most National Parks, 1973 Hawaii, Vancouver 3 times. BC Canada. Gaspe, Newfoundland. NYC, Chicago, Penn. Napa, Seattle, Austin, Cleveland, Nashville New Orleans and many more, serious foodie. other trips, you bet ..

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Oh my, beautiful bird. I grew up just to the west of Prospect Park!
    T

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

What's that country song? I've Been Everywhere, Man!
    T