Best way to "prime" fuel system 400i | FerrariChat

Best way to "prime" fuel system 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bergxu, Jul 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hey all,

We just finished replacing the injectors, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and wires on a friend's 400i. We're having trouble getting the car started now. I know you need to crank them over to get the new injectors "primed" but the car seems to crank, start, run for a split second, then die. Same thing over and over. We double checked everything (proper connections of wires, etc...) and I pulled a plug to see if it was wet with fuel, but it was totally dry. So I'm wondering what the best method for priming the fuel system is? Should I just remove the fuel pump relay and bridge it? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, but bridge the two ...113 fuel pump relay sockets (terminal 30 to terminal 87), not the ...101 relay for fuel pumps socket. You can even try starting/running the engine with the fuel pump relay sockets bridged (assuming that you confirm audibly that the fuel pump motors are actually running with the bridges in place).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Alternatively, if you remove the ...101 relay for fuel pumps and jumper the 30 terminal to the 87a terminal, you should hear the fuel pumps run with the key "on" (with the ...113 relays plugged in and working). Here too, if the fuel pumps are running, you can just try starting the engine with the jumper in place.

4. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Ok excellent. I'll try jumpering 30 and 87 and see if that works!

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi