Best way to get into auto racing | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Best way to get into auto racing

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by fcman, Jan 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Radical SR4 is about $50,000 2nd user and SR3 $60,000 (UK price conversions, maybe different in US after tax's etc).

Budget for running them varies depending on you and a friend running it or paying a team to.

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The Radical is not a homologated chassis in the ALMS IMSA Lites series.

The West chassis (formerly Stohr), the Elan made by Panoz and the Van Diemen are the only permitted cars.

The best information on car eligibility is here: http://www.imsaracing.net/2007/lites/bulletins/IL%20CB07-01%20_2_.pdf

It's a good series with GREAT visibility. I would speak to Eric Vassian (PVM Racing) or Kevin Kloepfer (Comprent) to find out the dirty details on what it will take.

-Peter

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    You need a quick course in the economics of racing:

1. You have to pay your way through the various classes before you get to those that pay you. Depending on the route you take, this can cost upwards of 5,000,000. Yep, 5 big ones.

2. Unless you show unusually good talent, you will pay your own way. Even you are extremely talented, plan on paying your own way, at least half the way up the scale.

You talk about ALMS, Speed World Challenge, you are talking aboutteams that spend over1M per year on their team minimum, and those teams aren't near the front.

Nope, unless you want to stay at a low budget racing level your entire life, you need either a rich parent, or a sponsor.

HOWEVER, you are way too late. Those that aspire to a racing career have been racing since they were pre-teens. The top drivers all started with karts before they were 10, and moved up from there. While you may have some of the basics, the people who you'll be competing with for those jobs have been racing since before they were in junior high. The good ones have already been identified, and those in the know are watching them.

Examples of the above: Speed brothers, one of which is now in the Red Bull car.

Sorry to be so negative, but I thought I bring some reality to this thread.

Art

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "It's a good series with GREAT visibility. I would speak to Eric Vassian (PVM Racing) or Kevin Kloepfer (Comprent) to find out the dirty details on what it will take."

Peter, IMSA Lites is an interesting series, though I wonder a bit about its staying power. I have been waiting for a long time for a sports racer equivalent of pro formula mazda - a series in which the interest of old guys like me, plus that of young development drivers, yields decent car counts.

I believe the FSCCA car, in sports racer trim, runs as L3.

My favorite car is the Panoz DP02, eligible for both IMSA Lites L1 and SCCA's CSR class. Kevin at Comprent seems to be supporting a few of them - and, of course, I believe he's the only importer. Both Comprent and PVM were testing at the Sebring national.

Do you think any class other than L1 will matter to a development driver? I've heard rumors of a TV package in '08, have no idea whether that's true.

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I don't know about that. The L2 class had the best competition last year with Dan McBreen pulling it out at the end. Kevin did a lot of work for Panoz (Elan) and has always been pretty tied into the Pro series.

IMSA bought the series from Jon Baytos at the end of last year. That means Don's money is behind it. That means it's going to be around for a little while, anyway. I would avoid the L3 Mazda Sports Racer. Way slower! Heck, my vintage Sports 2000 is quicker than those cars! <grin>

6. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Silly me I was looking at FMI IMSA Lites not ALMS IMSA Lites, dontcha just love motor racing :D

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    "Can't we just all get along?" :D Been the problem since the dawn of time...

8. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Is the L2 car (I think it is a Stohr chassis) also eligible for CSR or DSR?

9. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The Stohr WF-1 (the current DSR) is not homologated for ALMS IMSA Lites. The West chassis (which is an evolution of the original Stohr 03D or 04D) is the only homologated chassis for ALMS IMSA Lites L2. I think it has to do with some commercial arrangement between West and IMSA. I'm sure the West could be run in DSR but the tunnel-equipped WF-1 has a competitive advantage, at this point.

-Peter

10. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Make the money, then pay to race. It's your best shot.

May I recommend vintage formula cars. Start in Formula Fords or Formula Juniors. You can ultimately drive vintage F1 if your budget and ability grows appropriately. Best of all, these racers tend not to destroy their cars because it's against the spirit of their respective series. That's the path I took.

The mechanic route is also a nice option. You might find that being around racing and having the opportunity to occassional drive is great fun and a meaningful existence. The Bridgestone Racing School in Canada should seriously be considered to start down that path.

Final option, marry Paris Hilton or an equivalent individual. Good work if you can get it.

11. Colorado S14

Colorado S14 Rookie

May 2, 2006
    I am going to be a pessamist too. I think that you need to look seriously at your chances of making it as a driver and weigh that out to weither or not it is really worth it to focus so specifically on that. Dont get me wrong but tons of people are 40 year old waiters, not that there is anything wrong with that, trying to make it into the music or movie business. I kinda see racing as being somewhat similar. I think if you have reason to believe that you are more talented than most naturally and if you think you can figure our a way to finance your way in then go for it.

But it is a tough call, I played very competitive ice hockey for 13 years, and had just as much ice time as all the other guys but some of them went on to D1 colleges and the NHL and I was never good enough for more than a D2-D3 college.

So as much as people tell you that seat time is the key, and it is, sometimes you can never be quite good enough no matter how hard you try when it comes to sports.

I would love to drive professionally, but I chose to get a degree in finance which also interested me and to try to make enough money to be able to finance myself in a series like DSR. Being able to join a country club track and race whenever you feel like it is great too.

If you are really going for it, I think Boris Said is a good example of how it is done.

Good luck

12. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    As a new subscriber please forgive me for my intrusion on this thread but I would like to put my two cents in if I may? I have always been a sportscar fanatic since I was a teenager and have had many desirable cars over the years. Finally at the ripe old age of 40 in 2004 I decided it was time to try a little racing which I had always wanted to do. I enrolled in the 3-day Skip Barber Racing School at Daytona and then joined SCCA and did some drivers schools and then regional events in my brothers ITA Mazda Protege..lots of seat time for cheap against good drivers...I then joined HSR which is Historic Sports Car Racing...This organization is different than SVRA which are historic cars where as in HSR there are prepared sort of in an historic way. I race an Acura NSX in group 9 and in my class, C14, I have to compete against late model Porsche Cup Cars. Well in 2006 I was class champion! HSR is a great way to get LOTS of seat time at GREAT tracks against highly skilled drivers and cars. Just my two cents!
    Jerome
    PS next year I am looking to do some Grandam races in either a 360 or 430 Challenge. Any suggestions?

13. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Yup. Understand that Grand Am ain't HSR!

14. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I understand that B-mak as I have been attending Grandam and prior to that IMSA races for nearly 30 years. More organization, redtape, rules and money but since I already have a semi-structured race team it will smooth the transition don't you think?

15. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

If you are serious, you'll be challenged with understanding set ups and race strategy, among other things, and you will not be prepared for the level of competition in Grand Am Rolex.

That said, it seems Grand Am is still handing out licences like candy.

16. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    well since I am NOT doing this with the intention of becoming the Rolex Series GT champ I will have a much more positive attitude then it seems you do. And by the way I DO understand car setup and pit strategy as I have raced in many endurance races in HSR including the season finale last year which was the 4 hour race at Sebring......which I had class win I might add.

17. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Then I apologize for engaging in this dialogue. I thought you were interested in some thoughts on the matter, but evidently you're already an expert in the matter. Again, my apologies and best of luck with your racing.

18. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    no apology necessary...just looking for insight into running a 360 or 430 Challenge.

19. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Can you tell me about BMW Performance Bahrain? I emailed them, and it's only USD 3750 for the 3-day course. Much less than I expected. I am interested but need to know much more.

Does anyone else have information on this program? What does it get me? Will I gain anything useful (other than experience) from this specific program?

I just stumbled upon this thread an hour ago, and now I am looking into plane tickets to Bahrain. Life is crazy! Thanks for posting the thread Mike.

20. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    kart racing. i love it.

21. NeuroSpeed

NeuroSpeed Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam Whitener
    First off, the challenge cars are so restricted that none that have entered have ever really been competitive.

Second, be ready and willing to replace body parts / exhaust systems / suspensions on a regular basis. You'll be lucky if you come out of a race without battle scars (a result of Grand-Am's lax licensing).

I would seriously suggest running in either the ST or GS class first before dropping the big dollars to run in GT, so that you can get a feel for how GA works. Every class is competitive.

Edit: For a list of rules/regulations if you haven't already looked at them: http://www.grand-am.com/Competition/Rules.asp

22. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    You have PM.

The Bahrain school is run by an old friend of mine called Paul Spooner. He was a senior instructor at Jim Russell UK through the 1990's and has also worked at the Russell school at Sears Point. Many of the F1 drivers sons have been to Paul for training. He raced through the UK formula's and in Japan with the likes of Johnny Herbert and Irvine etc. He has a growing reputation within the motorsport coaching industry as the besy guy around at the moment.

The circuits facilities and kit provided by BMW Motorsport (which is there thanks to Paul's involvement) is also 1st class.

The course itself is excellent value for money at the price you have been quoted but you must obviously factor in air fare and accomodation. Paul will give you the best grounding in becoming a racing driver that money can buy, but you will still need $$$ ;) - If you do the course post back here and let us know how you got on.

23. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    thanks for the info PointBass I will look into the ST and GS class competition. I am quite aware of the damages inflicted to cars during the races..after all GrandAm is a subsidiary of NASCAR!

24. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Apparently his training skills are popular with the current crop of GP2 drivers too...

25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Do you realize how pompous this makes you look ?

I think ARTNNYC has a realistic veiw of whats going on.