Best Wax for a black car? | FerrariChat

Best Wax for a black car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ryan S., Oct 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Its about time to give my car a good detailing. Can any one recommend a good wax for black cars? and while were at it, any one have any good recommendations for a good high speed buffer?
    Thanks,
    Ry

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
  3. prime22

prime22 Rookie

Nov 22, 2003
    Stamford, Ct
    Full Name:
    Mr.J
    I use meguiars nxt tech wax or meguiars gold on my dark blue car. They both work great. Good luck.

4. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    P21s is good. S100 is the same just different label and available at your local Harley dealer for less money. Top it with Meguirs 16 for better durability.
    Souveran wax makes black look the best I think.

Look around at autopia.org for some good reviews.

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    some say Zaino is the best.

6. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    It depends on what you want out of the wax. A sealent offers more durability, higher reflectivity, and a harder shell. A carnuaba wax will offer more depth of color and wet look at the expense of durability. If your car is not driven frequently, I would suggest a high quality white carnuaba such as P21S, Soverign, Zymol, etc. If you drive the car a lot, go with a sealent such as Zaino, Crystal Guard, NXT, Klasse, etc. Hope this helps.

7. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I use Griots: Best of Show and it's unbelievable! I also bought nxt but haven't tried it on the black car. On a Black Cherry it did quite well so if you're not fussy I'd go with that, but if you want what looks like a new coat of clear, get the Griots!

Wes

8. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I have a black NSX and I swear by NanoWax by Eagle One.. Makes it look amazing deep color and no swirls!

It works far better than the Meguiar's NXT (I have both) and I have also tried Zaino..

9. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    Ryan:

I use Zymol Carbon on my black Lotus Esprit and my dark blue Audi A8. It's formulatd for darker colored European cars. I buy it at Emmons Coachworks
    (www.emmonscoachworks.com) along with my other car care products.

Mark Pfeffer

10. mugget

mugget Rookie

Sep 17, 2004
    I'll give another vote for Zaino. It's a great wax and really all I personally use now.

11. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    thanks for all the replies,
    Ry

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I know there are tons of threads on detailing etc. but I think it depends on how well you prepare the surface before application, to get the best results. If you use an orbital buffer and scratch remover to remove any fine scratches you will be assured of a real wet look when you apply just about any better quality wax. I use Meguiar's NXT and their products largely due to the price point, quality and the companies commitment to car care.

13. AutoConcierge

AutoConcierge Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Willis
    Since I detail Ferraris on a daily basis, and black cars being the toughest, for someone who wants ease of use and great performance, I agree with the other post that Nano Wax by Eagle One is the best retail wax currently on the market. However, it can be oily so remove the wax with a microfiber towel while simultaneously misting the waxed portion with deionized water. Good luck.

14. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    I've used all of the waxes and polishes that you mentioned here (and more). I just found a this SoCal based car care product company called Adam's Polishes. Their web site is http://www.adamspolishes.com/ .

I have to admit that these products are top drawer and work much better than anything that I have used in the past. I am old school and had to be taught about these new products and techniques. I had these folks do a face off with several other products and they blew everything away in ease of application & removal, clarity of the shine and finish. They mix their own products on the premises and are not mass produced.

Give it a try and I am sure that you'll be impressed. Give Adam a call because they are very knowledgeable.

Brad

15. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Hmmmm...I'm gonna have to give it a try!

Thanks!
    Wes

16. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I vote for NXT.

17. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ryan,

I have been using a combination of Einszett waxpolish soft and P21s as follows:

p21s wheel cleaner on rims.
    Wash Car using soft mit/australian wool & perls shampoo
    Clay entire car, windows, headlights etc.
    apply Einszett/waxpolish soft, using a porter cable and proper pad.
    remove using microfiber towel.
    apply p21s by hand and again remove using microfiber towel.

It's important to use quality pads and premium microfiber towels.

Porter Cable makes a good random orbital buffer that is safe to use
    for beginners: model 7332. with a counterweight. ($130.00) Dont use
    the pad that it comes with, rather use a specialty pad such as from
    lake county mfg. They make specialty pads.

18. youngtifosi

youngtifosi Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Check out http://www.autopia.org. From experience I'd suggest Pinnacle Souveran and NXT for black cars. But it doesn't matter what product you use unless the surface is prepared properly (read: polished). Just go to Autopia and be prepared to get sucked into the inescapable vortex that is car detailing. Stay away from the Gold Class though, its way too dusty.

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

So far, I believe NXT gives me the best results on black. I'll try some Nano at my next opportunity.

Zaino wasn't my cup of tea.

20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The guy that writes the detailing column for the FCA newsletter recommended Finish First for those who wanted an easy to apply but impressive product. I bought some and just tried it for the first time on my TDF blue 360, and I just love the results. Probably took me 30 - 40 minutes to do the whole car, not counting drying time, and the results are really very nice. For those of you who don't want to spend a whole day at this project I can highly recommend it.

Gary

21. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny

me too... Using Z1 as a pre cleaner and then Z2 yields really long lasting results... also if you reapply Z2 over and over, it creates an even lustier shine... It is also IMO much easier to apply and buff off than any carnauba wax I have used...