Best vacuum cleaner for pet hair? | FerrariChat

Best vacuum cleaner for pet hair?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kizdan, Aug 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I have a Great Dane and an Australian Shepherd. Very little in terms of shedding from the Dane, but my Aussie sheds a fair amount. I have been through several cheapie vacuums, and decided this last time to go for something that would hopefully last longer. I sprung for an Oreck, Classic I believe is the model. It's a piece of crap. I cannot finish one vacuum without the roller getting tangled with pet hair, losing the ability to spin - basically losing all effectiveness. I always have to stop midway, and cut all of the pet hair tangled around the roller with a knife or scissors. I am more than fed up with having to do this every single time.

Can anyone recommend something, that is not ridiculously expensive, that handles any length pet hair with ease? That doesn't require constant cleaning of the roller?

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have an older Dyson ball vacuum and it doesn't have the problem you mentioned. I have two large swiss shepherds that shed all year. I've had this vacuum for years and used it a LOT. It has never broken down. There is a newer Dyson ball specific to pet hair but I haven't tried it.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Dyson Animal or whatever it's called now. I had an expensive Meile and tested them back to back. I did the room with the Meile and then went over it again with the Dyson. It was amazing how much more the Dyson pulled out of the carpet.

Mark

4. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Another tick for Dyson. We have a Shiba inu that sheds a lot off fur and the Dyson does a great job on hard floors and carpet.

5. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    +1 for the Dyson animal ( 2 long haired cats )

6. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    We think the Shark is good..our model is the Rotator..
    Our Dyson got high marks at first,but was possibly overwhelmed...we do have big hairy dogs.
    Cheers,RE

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    We use a WindTunnel PAWS by Hoover which does a good job handling a Beagle and lots of cats. We've never had a problem with hair clogging the roller. The biggest downside is that it does such a good job we are constantly having to empty the canister when we notice it is full. The canister on our model is clear plastic and washable. The price was about half of the Dyson model for pets.

8. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Shark with the pet hair attachment for furniture. No problems with pet hair on the floor brush but it will pick up long human hair (daughter and wife both have foot long hair) on the roller but it has never stopped spinning. I think the bigger concern is that we are doing the vacuuming!

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Another Dyson owner. I have 3 of them. He's been retired a few years. A family friend was a senior VP sales and marketing with the makers of the Shark. Good machines, even though I got them free. I still bought Dyson's as my main machine.

10. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I had the identical experience with our Dyson animal and a Shark...(and a yellow Lab)

Shark outpulled the Dyson by a long shot...dial in 1/3 the price of the Dyson and no contest.

Dyson went to my daughter (labradoodle)

11. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    I recently bought the $250 Shark from Costco. I am very impressed, did not expect half the performance. I have bad allergies, more to dust and pollen than dog hair, but it make a noticeable difference in my house.

I haven't used a Dyson, but my previous vacuum was over $400 and doesn't even compare to the Shark. Also, this shark has the swivel action like the Dyson Ball, but without the ball.

I'd put it up against any $500 vacuum

12. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    We have a Dyson and a Shark. The Dyson stays in the closet.

13. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Get a demo on a rainbow - sold in your house but very long lasting and gets pet dander and hair and dust up like no other I've seen-