Best used car sedans for highway beater use? | FerrariChat

Best used car sedans for highway beater use?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Dec 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am contemplating buying a sedan for some highway use - 600 mile round trips a few times a month. I have a Toyota Landcruiser which rides pretty well, but I don't want to rack up a bunch of miles on the thing, plus it only gets around 15 mpg.

What I was thinking about is buying maybe a 3 year old sedan that has already taken a massive depreciation it that I can rack up some miles on. I don't need car drama so a BMW or Mercedes is out of the picture.

I am wondering about a Toyota Avalon or a little older Lexus LS? Nissan? Infiniti?

Which are the best riding sedans out there for the littleist money?

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I bought a BMW 3er and it's still fun to drive, gets around 30+ mpg at 75mph, is comfortable and has all the comfort i need (GPS, Heated seats, Camera, Bluetooth).

I have had 2 and the current one, bought 1 year old with 2k miles, now it has 50k miles with $0 maintenance other than oil and rotation and soon tires.

You can probably pick one with 40k miles for $15k out of warranty. I dont know what you mean as little money as possible..

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Cant go wrong with a Toyota/Lexus. Avalons seem to depreciate more than most Toyotas and are nearly as nice as a Lexus. A used LS Lexus is a well made, if not thrilling, car.

tomc likes this.
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    LS430

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'm probably going to buy a 4 year old car with 50-60K on it. I figured most would recommend Lexus. Is that still OK miles to just be able to drive the thing and not have to worry about anything other than tires and brake pads?

Someone mentioned BMW. I've had a lot of those - 3, 5, and 7 series. Just don't want any added car drama that the euros tend to bring.

6. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I have an Infiniti Q50S Hybrid AWD
    I have had it for over 7 years, perfect reliability, roomy, comfy for commuting
    360 HP and about 28 MPG
    Used ones should be reasonable price wise

7. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Without a doubt, Toyota/Lexus product.
    Wishing you the best with your decision.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Nailed it

colombo2cam likes this.
  9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My Cruze is super comfortable and I get +40mpg on the highway. Its inconspicuous and has all the bells and whistles I need. It's also dirt cheap. If something happens to it, I don't give a ****.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  10. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    LS430s are getting old, but they'd probably still be good if you found a well-maintained one.

My sister has a 2006 Toyota Avalon and I really like how it drives - very comfortable, decent power. I haven't been in a newer one to see what they're like. I heard rumors that Toyota tried to make them sportier and thus ruined the Buick-ness of them. Honestly, out of all my cars, I think my 2006 Chrysler Town & Country rides the best, maybe tied with the 2001 750iL.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger. They're everywhere, can be fixed anywhere, and relatively cheap.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Maybach!

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Audi A8 - they depreciate well, AWD, superb for long distance cruising. I would go 300-400 miles at a time in mine and get out feeling fine. Minimal drama but get the extended warranty.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I had a Jetta TDI that was by far the best trip car. Huge trunk for the size, pretty quiet and comfortable for being an entry level car, and since it was a diesel we averaged around 50mpg on the highway. Made it from MD to Hilton Head Island, SC on one tank. 640 miles.

I hated that car for running around town, but it was fantastic for road trips.

15. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The Mazda3 sedan or hatchback is another good option. They re not fancy, comfortable, well built, reliable and fuel efficient.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Alfa Romeo Giulia

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just did 1700miles in 4 days in a Lexus.
    i never understood these cars before, they always seemed soulless flaccid and marshmallow to drive.

I have to say for munching miles down the highway there is no better conveyance. The Lexus IS comfly great seats quiet and refined. It makes hours on the highway painless.

Frankly for the right purpose can’t think of anything as good as a Lexus.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I like older S class Mercedes. Had my moms hand me down 1991 420SEL, great car, regret selling it. The newest S class I've had and liked was my 01 S430. Another great car and fairly modern.

19. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ....as long as it's Trail Rated ;)

Jedi

wax likes this.
  20. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    None of the Euro cars mentioned will hold a candle reliability-wise to the Japs, in particular Toyota.

Answer: LS460L with the air suspension.

Is the ES350/Avalon good? Sure. But they're not in the league of the flagship. They don't have a V8, and they're not as refined/upscale as their older sibling. Take each out on the highway and see for yourself.

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have had 2 Mazdaspeed 3s that I loved. Never an issue with either. My wife has a Mazda 3 sedan she bought new in 2015. Never an issue with the car other than routine maintenance. The only negative I would say is that it was very nice at first, but the materials have not held up as well as I would like. Every little thing seems to scratch or ding it Leather is wearing/fading on the steering wheel. Still she loves it and only has 58K on it.

22. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Before I even opened this thread I was thinking a Lexus or toyota. Maybe an IS or LS. The RC is nice also,

23. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Lincoln Town Car! They quit making them in 2012, might be older than you care for. You should be able to find a low mileage example, cheap, comfortable, huge inside and trunk, should get mid 20's fuel on the highway, cheap to insure, cheap to fix if needed, V8 power, inconspicuous...

max930 likes this.
  24. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    BMWs are like a used car dealers dream!
    People are hesitant about shelling out money and time for the costly repairs because they're tough to work on.

Many buy them in bad condition, restore them and then sell them just off of the the name. I've worked on a few and trust me....

25. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    My brother bought a Lincoln Town Car a few weeks ago. Estate sale, one owner, old lady. 100k miles. Its in mint shape. Except a rodent chewed a spark plug wire. We replaced the wires the other day. Not a bad car.

Ianjoub likes this.