Best Place to Sit at Austin GP? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Best Place to Sit at Austin GP?

Discussion in 'F1' started by PhilNotHill, Feb 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    We sat in turn 1 and turn 12, bought both. Turn 12 had great view by design but was continuously obstructed by people standing at the exit to the stairs. We also "squatted" in the main grandstand some on saturday during qualifying. MG was incredibly loud, but overall not much too see especially since you are so close the cars zip by and you are non-stop, left to right head movement to try and follow.

The other thing that was very noticeable to me was the differing quality of the actual seat.
    Turn 1 was a real contoured seat with armrests and a drink holder
    Turn 12 was a flat slab of aluminum 10" wide with someones butt in my knees
    MG was a somewhat "shaped" slab of aluminum with a backrest

What was turn 15 like seat wise? should have been a good view from there.

All in all turn one was the better of them for me. Besides I couldn't sit on that flat slab for several hours anyway

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Portable stadium seats were an "Allowed" item...I have some now for next year.

3. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    At my wife's prodding, I reluctantly picked up a couple of stadium seats thinking to myself "these will be a hassle to lug around" and "are these really necessary?".

Lesson learnt.
    Wife: 1 / me: 0

4. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
  5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They aren't.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Last year I saw more racing roaming the GA area's than I did sitting in my seat at the hairpin (section 14).

7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep. GA is the best value at COTA for F1. For other races it's the best value by FAR. Not even close.

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Damn $169 for a single GA ticket, guess I will just grill and chill this year.

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That was the price for GA tickets last year. Still, not too shabby. That is a three day ticket.

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    COTA needs to offer more detail on their website as I would only be interested in a single 'race day' GA ticket.

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not going to happen. You can probably buy one from someone. This year, maybe, the box near T15 will have some one day tickets. Doubtful, as you'd need to get down there with a ticket by means of bus.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Grillin and chillin in the 'Lazy Boy', a tuff gig.

13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They were selling tickets at the ticket office last year, & sales seem slower this year. They weren't priced as single-day tickets, but they sold regularly priced 3-day tickets throughout the weekend.

You don't have to take the bus. You can ride a bike to the bicycle lot, take a taxi to the taxi drop-off lot, or ride in with someone else.

14. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Agree re: the website. They didn't offer single-day tickets for last year's GP. The website also says they do not ever sell single-day tickets, but they have sold them for races other than the GP. It's baffling that they don't offer single-day tickets.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    One would think that a new venue in need of a following thus sealing a foundation for the future of the venue would cater to all fans needs/wants instead of basically telling the fans "you can take it or leave, we don't care". I survived 32yrs of F1 before I attended last years race, my first, and if something does not change at COTA I will be happy to spend my money in Montreal or at some other F1 venue.

In a nut shell COTA should be kissing butt instead of acting like arrogant pricks, they need us more than we need them.

16. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Indeed. It's like you're inside my head.

Scary! ;)

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    LMAO!!

I can only speak for myself but I feel safe in saying that we all want COTA to succeed. As with any business everyone has to answer to someone but I also believe there should be some sort of separation. Lets say I am employed by COTA in a promotional aspect/position, I would be catering to the entire racing community and not just one specific fan base. When you love what you are doing and it is your passion you will never 'work' another day. If I was in charge of such things I would raffle off tickets all the way from pit passes to GA tickets. As well the track could host some great karting events (track layout based upon the class) and other events. Exposure seems to be a key element that is missing yet I also understand that the venue is new and the business model is still being molded and perfected.

Now back on topic I tagged along with BigTex and his 'better half' and she took a break and sat at 'turn 4' up high and she said it was fantastic, food for thought.

18. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
  19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you Kevin!!

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Was coming to post single day tickets. I stand corrected.

21. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    As if on cue, they gave us what we asked for, sort of:

Single-day tickets for 2013 F1 USGP available Sept. 3! | Circuit of The Americas - Home of the Formula 1 US Grand Prix | Nov. 16-18, 2012 | Austin TX

Not sure how they're calculating those %savings numbers.

22. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This has been their m.o. starting with Grand Am. Make tickets cheaper as the race nears and GSs aren't selling, like 3,4,5,11 aren't now. I wonder how the folks feel who only needed a one-day ticket and bought a 3-day because it was the only option. Other circuits offer incentives to buy early and then go to normal (higher) pricing as the event nears. Lesson here is to never buy COTA tickets early.

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :)

Someone needs to explain what, exactly, a percentage saving actually is!.... 152% would mean they're paying you to attend!

Obviously, they're not mathematicians at COTA. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

24. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's what I thought, too. Maybe it's some sort of "new math".

25. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #75 hairy_scotsman, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I see what they did. The total of single-day GA tickets is $257. A 3-day ticket costs $169. $257 is 152% of $169. That does not = 152% savings LOL.

It's 34%

Oy.