Best place to advertise my Mondial for sale? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Best place to advertise my Mondial for sale?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by geshaghi, Jul 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    If I'm understanding this correctly, you're past the deadline as explained in the ad...therefore you should feel free to keep the deposit and you don't owe the bidder an extension and anything else. Ebay is a business, and you would think anyone serious about a Ferrari would meet the 1 week deadline easily.

2. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    The buyer certainly hasn't met the auction terms and while a $500 forfeited deposit helps ease the annoyance, I would much rather sell the car and get the rest of the money and an open space in my garage. Perhaps what irritates me the most is that the buyer, despite his high feedback and lengthy eBay history, doesn't even have the courtesy (or guts) to respond to my email.

3. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Its time to relist it. But please raise your starting bid to over 30k, I'm glad it didn't ultimately sell, I think the ending bid was too low! IMO. Now that I've had the chance to know mine for a few weeks, when in good shape as yours seems and mine is, they're worth a lot more than 30k.

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FWIW, I continue to maintain like a broken record that EBAY is not the answer. Use the Ferrari market letter, brokers, or other traditional Ferrari advertising mechanisms if you want the serious buyers. It is going to take longer, but you are going to get a better price.

I would also consider contacting a local f-car dealer and seeing if they would sell your car on consignment.

Just my .02

5. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #55 Valenzo, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

+1. Completely agree. Sell your minivan on ebay.

6. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    Joe -
    All good suggestions, and I will probably renew my FML subscription. In terms or Ferrari brokers, Mike Sheehan is well known as a Mondial-hater so that wouldn't seem productive, but if anyone knows of other brokers or reputable consignment dealers, I would appreciate any suggestions. I did speak with a couple of exotic car dealers earlier this year, and they all want to do a "net" deal around $20k ("maybe $25k if the car is as good in person as it looks in the photos and the service is up to date"). Thanks for the encouragement guys!
    George

7. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Call Phil Tegtmeier @ http://www.philvilleusa.com/

He helped me with my car and he has his tentacles all over the Ferrari community.

Tell him that JoeZaff with the Black Mondial 3.2 cab sent you. He is very reasonable. Again, it will take awhile, but you will get a better price.

As for Sheehan, he hates everything, until he has it on consignment, than the car suddenly is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel :D

8. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    Well, the winning eBay bidder, after paying his initial deposit and sending me a message that he wanted to come down and pick up the car, never communicated anything further despite me reaching out to him numerous times to ascertain his intentions. I have re-listed the car on eBay one more time. We'll see.....

9. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That sucks - did you try to reach out to the next highest bidder to ask if they wanted the car?

Good luck with the new listing.

Erik

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you haven't read Sheehan's article, here is a link to it on his site:
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages...=SCM_201012_SS
    He slams all Mondials in the title. It got me more than a little upset...

In terms of Ferrari's, the Mondial really grew on me. I loved it in 1989 when I saw the movie "scent of a woman" but as soon as I made some money, ended getting another childhood dream car, a Porsche 911. Now that I am older with two growing kids, I picked up a Mondial and just love it dearly! I'm learning all about the corkyness and little gremlins of owning this car but none the less, it looks, feels, sounds and handles like a Ferrari!

Now getting to Sheehan's article, this guy is obviously biased and like they say, everyone has an opinion -so be it! All I can say is I love my Mondi the way it is, price does not affect me because I'm not gonna sell her so whether its 20k today, 50k tomorrow, or 10k in the future... It does not matter, what matters is it brings a Big Smile to my face when I take her out every weekend with my kids for ice cream! And that my friends is priceless!

11. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    I am very familiar with Sheehan's article, as I wrote a letter to the editor of SCM in response. The text of my letter in response is post #11 in this thread. IMO, comments like Sheehan's have kept values of Mondials down. Bottom line is that if you buy any Ferrari with deferred maintenance issues, you need to be prepared to open your wallet, whether it's a Mondial or a 275.

12. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    I would love to see the listing for your car. Is it currently on ebay. thx

13. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
  14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice Mondial, I have the same 1988 model!
    Your price range seems right, but you might get it when the right buyer comes along. Emphasize on affordable maintenance cost and this particular model does not need an engine out, that's why I bought an 88 vs. a Mondi T.

cheers!

15. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
  16. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    Just a quick update to revive this thread. After my frustrating experience with eBay, I decided to leave the car with an independent Ferrari mechanic & exotic car dealer who said they might have a customer. That was back in October, but they haven't had any luck moving her. Admittedly, the winter months are not a good time to sell an exotic car, but they haven't had a nibble! Back to the drawing board I suppose.

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Considering all of the things against your opportunity to sell (bad economy, middle of winter, 23 year old car, pricey maintenance and ownership costs), its no surprise. I would hang tight until spring around the corner and try to market it better. The right buyer will come along for the right price, always does. That's how I bought mine, didn't plan on it at first, but caught the Ferrari bug and fell in love with my Mondi !

18. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    Thanks Mike, this is definitely the worst time of the year to sell a car like the Mondi, even in a good economy!

It's still at the consigning dealer for now, and I'll probably let it continue to ride there until I decide what else to do.

19. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    Well, it has been about 9 months since I started this thread. I had the car on consignment at a local dealer, and they had no bites. Despite their promises of advertising, I never saw the car listed for sale anywhere but their website, which was not really conducive to effective marketing. In any event, I decided to pick the car up today and put her back in the garage. A wonderful drive home with the top down. Great noises. Maybe I should keep her, but I know what will happen: she just won't get driven much. Decisions, decisions.....

20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why don't you post it here in the ads section with pictures and a nice description of car & service history. I think you have an 88 like mine and thats a great year for a 3.2 ! Wonderful car! Good luck!

21. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    It's been advertised here for a while, here's the link:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=7343

The old price is high - I've reduced the asking price to $29,999. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the ad?

22. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Yes (to your above question). That singular picture could be of - let's see.... Mike's car, Sam's car, Fred's car or the car that the Pope rode in. You need more pictures (taken with other than your phone). You didn't like the way the dealer advertised your car - - so don't advertise your car in a similar, limited way.

Good luck,

Hank

23. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    Thanks Hank. I do have a link to more photos in the ad text, but as I recall when I posted, it only allows a single photo. Perhaps I will delete the old ad and repost a new one.

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike