Best place to advertise my Mondial for sale? | FerrariChat

Best place to advertise my Mondial for sale?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by geshaghi, Jul 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    The time has come for me to sell my 88 Mondial cabriolet. I just don't drive it enough. It's a great 100% original car, with less than 30,000 miles and complete history from new, and deserves a good home. Any suggestions on where to advertise the car for sale? I was probably going to go the eBay route, but hard to determine if there are any real buyers there. I know the market is abysmally low these days, but any thoughts on value are also appreciated. Thanks

2. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    Depends what country you are in.

Where in the world are you located? "Classic Cars For Sale" is a good UK/European site, and it's completely free. I sold my Mondial t there.

I'm not sure the market is "abysmally low" though, it might be for rough cars but if yours is a good one then it'll sell no problem.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the US (Los Angeles, to be more specific).

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +1!!!

If you are interested in serious buyers, I would also advertise in the Ferrarimarketletter

I have personally had good luck selling my luxury cars with Cars.com and autotrader.com, but I have never sold a Ferrari through them. I imagine you will get a mixed bag of serious buyers and tire kickers, but it may be worth the minimal cash outlay.

If you are not married to selling the car yourself, and your car is a very nice example, I would consider placing it with a Ferrari broker, they usually have good leads on potential buyers and know how to properly move an F-car.

Lastly, get yourself silver subscribed here. Your posting is getting closer and closer to sounding like an advertisement. The moment the mods deem it as crossing the line, it is going to be heavily edited or deleted. You can avoid this by just subscribing and placing an ad in Ferrariads.

Just my. 02

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What's the VIN on your car, Geshaghi?

I, too, recommend FerrariAds. If you upgrade to a Silver or Rossa membership, you'll be able to post an ad in FerrariAds.

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Advertise broadly and be ready to wait. High end homes and cars don't turn in a month or two. They wait for the right buyer. Ebay is often used to get the car "out there" Not always expecting a sale. What is the car worth? The Mondials are worth more than they are selling for in my opinion. There are likely a few buyers looking for the right car. The other option, if the car isn't going to get what it's worth is to start driving it daily. I have found through driving my car daily I really get enjoyment out of it. Of course if you have a family and a career that takes your time and a commute at a crawl then I understand your situation. Good luck. We'd all love to see it advertised here.

Value. I think they are worth 30, but driver varieties are selling for less, some getting low 20's. By the seat of my pants, a clean well documented no excuses car should get darn close to 30. You need to find someone looking for a Mondial because for 30 you can get into a 328 driver.

We'd all like to see pictures and the ad posted here. I purchased my Mondial through this site.

8. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    #8 geshaghi, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok guys, thanks for all the feedback. I've signed up as a subscriber here.

The car is in excellent shape. I have a four-post storage lift and the car spends most of the time on top. I haven't really driven it in more than a year, but brought her down Friday to clean her up and take some photos. I just had to admire the beauty of the car. Mondials are the most under-appreciated and maligned Ferrari out there IMO. A few months ago, I saw Mike Sheehan's article in Sports Car Market discussing Ferrari buys, but he basically slammed all Mondials. I was so pissed off, I wrote a long letter to SCM in defense of our cars!

In any event, I'm still debating a sale. Here's a photo from Friday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    Just out of curiosity....how many feel tempted to get a second Mondial?

I know it makes no sense...love my black one but there is a part of me that wants a red one too...

10. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Post your letter please. Sound like fun reading.

11. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    If you haven't read Sheehan's article, here is a link to it on his site:
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_201012_SS
    He slams all Mondials in the title. It got me more than a little upset, so I fired off the following email to SCM, which they published in the March issue:

To the Editor:

I am a great admirer of your magazine. It is without a doubt the most professional, thoughtful and well-written publication serving motoring enthusiasts at large and sports car collectors, and I look forward to receiving each issue. Unfortunately, Mike Sheehan’s recent article on entry level Ferraris was neither professional nor thoughtful. I’m an avid collector and while my tastes are often for champagne, my budget is more typically for beer (good beer, but beer nonetheless). I typically have several cars in my collection at any given time.

Among these, I have owned a 1988 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 cabriolet since 2004. I am the third owner of the car, I have what appears to be all of the service records since new and the car has been regularly maintained during my ownership, with the necessary (and expensive) belt service completed recently. The car has approximately 30,000 miles and has all original paint and interior, in very good condition. As far as I can tell, I have the same 3.2 liter Ferrari V8 motor that is in my friend’s 328, the Rosso Corsa paint is identical in color and shade and the prancing horse logo on the hood isn’t any different either. I can join the Ferrari Owner’s Club, I am invited to Ferrari owner events and, last I checked, I can attend a factory tour when the factory is open in Modena. What is different is that I can drop the top and take my wife and my two teenage daughters out for a spirited drive.

With the arrival of the December issue of SCM, I turned to Mike Sheehan’s article on Finding a Ferrari for Less than $100,000 and perhaps naively expected Mondials to be mentioned. They were mentioned, but with such a blanket statement of negativity I could hardly believe. To malign all Mondials with the broad brush of deferred maintenance and the tongue in cheek reference of Monty Python to "Run away, run away" (in the headline no less) is unfair and untrue. While values are abysmally low for these cars, the bias of experts like Mr. Sheehan have helped keep them this way. To offer praise for 400’s and 412’s, while maligning all Mondials, is unsupportable.

So what does Mr. Sheehan have against these cars? Does he not like the design? The Mondial has fewer strakes than the Miami Vice styled Testarossa. The 3.2, with its front end treatment styled after the 328, is much more aesthetically pleasing than the large bumper models. Is it the mechanicals that he finds objectionable? The motor in my car is rated at a healthy 270hp, as is the 328. Rear seats a problem? Apparently not so in the 400 and 412. While the early Mondial 8 suffered from too much weight, quality problems and not enough power, these issues were well resolved by the time the QV and 3.2 were released, and over the total 13 year model run, Ferrari sold nearly 7000 Mondials worldwide. Even the Pope liked the Mondial, and had Pierro Ferrari to drive him around the Fiorano track during a visit in 1988 (see photo attached, but that’s a different story altogether). To lump all 7000 Mondials (and by implication, their owners) in the category of “run away” is unreasonably biased.

I fully recognize that the two extra seats will always be an inhibitor to value, but the Mondial is Ferrari through and through and offers the least expensive open top Ferrari experience available today (even with a bit of deferred maintenance cost factored in). To cast all Mondials aside with pejorative statements does a disservice to prospective owners who may be seeking the Ferrari ownership experience that only a Mondial can provide. As with any Ferrari, documented service history, regular maintenance and a thorough pre-purchase inspection are key to an enjoyable ownership experience, whether it be a $25,000 Mondial or a $325,000 Daytona coupe.

12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #12 JoeZaff, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

To be fair, here is what Sheehan said
    "As for the Mondial coupes and cabriolets, the years have not been kind to these cars. Their values are abysmally low and their deferred maintenance issues are long. To quote Monty Python: “Run away, run away.”

Unfortunately, every word of this is true. Mondials are among the cheapest in Ferrari land. This is a function of demand as well as the quality of the examples available for sale. The vast majority of Mondial owners only fix what needs to be fixed rather than practice aggressive maintenance procedures. They are also a lot of DIYer's in the Mondial world, many of whom have no business working on their cars. Most Mondials are studies in deferred maintenance. If you don't believe Sheehan, ask any Ferrari dealer or independent...I have. Most will tell you that the Mondials they see are usually basket cases.

This is not the Mondial's fault. Its the fault of owners who get in cheap but have no interest in spending the money on proper maintenance. Mondials are wonderful cars...among my favorite Ferraris. Sadly, the way things are going, in 20 years there will be far more F40s on the road than proper Mondials.

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Joe, say what????
    Please review the 99 pages of this thread...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32278&highlight=mondials
    (Let's see all of our Mondials)

Not too many time-bomb beaters here.

Sheehan is full of it. He needs a fall-car for street cred. He can't just say buy any well mainted Ferrari you can for under $100k. Anybody could say that. If this guy were legit he would advise caution but not a blanket "Run Away." For goodness sake he says the 348 styling is "bland." Abysmally low value? the Mondials are selling at practically the same ratio to their original purchase price as the Testarossa, which he sort of recommends. The lead of the article is to avoid a $100k car becoming a $50k car. How many Mondial owners will have to pay $20k to have their cars hauled away? Total crap! There are plenty of good Mondials out there and they are certainly a great Ferrari for under $100K.

dave

14. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    I agree completely. While there may be plenty of Mondials (and other Ferraris) that have deferred maintenance issues, there are plenty that are excellent well maintained cars. For Sheehan to lump all Mondials together as bad is really a disservice and insulting.

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

I think we have to agree to disagree, the passionate minority on F-chat notwithstanding, most Mondial owners buy them to get into the f-car experience cheap. They then dump the cars or let them sit once the bills come only to pass them on to some unsuspecting owner down the road. You are seeing the same thing with the 348, 308GT4 and 400i, and beginning to see it with the mighty TR. The Mondial is not alone. The worst offenders seem to be with 400i autos and 308GT4.

Sure, there are a lot of well maintained mondials, but not plenty. This website represents the biggest enthusiast community on the web. Ferrari club of America events also bring similar owners. The cars you see on e-bay, cars. com, and auto trader,generally do not come from us. Personally, it is very rare I see a Mondial for sale on any of these websites that hasn't suffered from significant deferred maintenance. Also, if you talk to the mechanics who work on them, they will tell you they spend most of their time trying to figure out what was jerry-rigged by a prior owner and how rarely they see a proper Mondial. You guys know me, and you know how obsessed I am with these cars. Believe me, I never miss an opportunity to talk to anybody about these wonderful cars.

As for Sheehan, was it fair for him to single us out? Probably not, but IMHO, it doesn't make the claim any less true.

Again, mark my words, in 20 years, these cars will be rarer than snuffleupagus. They'll be the highlight of local Ferrari meets and people will walk by speaking in hushed tones as they gaze upon these rare cars. Everything will be great for us, until some guy pulls up in a perfect 400i and steals our thunder :D

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I understand he has a history of bashing different cars depending on what is in his inventory. Just referring to Fiat era cars will be offputting to some. The 458 is a Fiat Era car. The Enzo is a Fiat era car, etc. I doubt you will ever hear him say,

"Like the Fiat Era Ferrari Enzo currently valued at $1.2 Million, the Ferrari Mondial is a relative bargain..."

I applaud you for writing your letter to let the readership of that magazine know that not all Mondials are in poor shape, and that there is a following. Someone who wants this car can look and find a good one.

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I would consider adding a cab to the collection at some point.

18. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Wanted to get a T coupe for my wife, so we could have his 'n hers...

She didn't bite.

19. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    +1!

Very much so would love to put another Mondial in the garage, probably a t, and rossa or black again, but definitely with the tan interior. I find it hot in there as is.

20. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman

Same story with the t cab, b/c mainly my kids don't love it as much as I/we do.

21. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    I think you miss my point. Sheehan says all Mondials are crap. While a lot of them may be crap, a lot of them are not (remember that Ferrari made something like 8000 of these). To lump them all together is like claiming that all Italians are in the mafia. It isn't true and it's disparaging.

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy

23. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I understand your frustration with Sheehan painting in broad strokes. As I have said in many past threads, I have a VERY LOW opinion of him.
    FWIW, Ferrari didn't make anywhere close to 8K. If you consider all models in their thirteen year run, there was roughly 6100 made. As for Mondial 3.2 cabs, they only made 810 worldwide.

Of those 810, again off the top of my head, I would hazard that there may only be 300 at most that are currently in good running condition and less than 100 truly spectacular examples...and I think I am being very generous here. In 20 years, I would be surprised if there are more than 100 surviving examples of the 3.2 cab period and I think finding a Mondial 8 anywhere but a parts yard will be a VERY RARE sight indeed..

Trust me when I tell you that you and I are on the same team. However, as has been reflected in many past threads I have written, I am increasingly frustrated at the lack of respect these cars are given by their owners. Cutting corners and jerry rigging is becoming more and more prevalent. There are American cars in Cuba that have had less tinkering than some of the Mondials I have seen :D

FWIW, I can see you still are very passionate about these cars. Personally, I think you should keep your car and become active in this board. We need more owners like you out there carrying the torch!

Finally, I had to laugh at something you said. I am Italian. I recently found out that one of my neighbors is convinced I am in the Mafia............

after he saw me driving the Mondial!!! LOL!

Apparently the fact that I am a former LEO was lost on him!

24. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    And the reason you don't drive it is??????????????? what??????

You cannot keep it and just do what you are supposed to do with it: drive it?

25. geshaghi

geshaghi Rookie

Mar 28, 2006
    I bought the car in 2004 when my kids were smaller. My primary intention was to have a fun car that I could take the family out in. As my girls have outgrown the rear seats, the thrill of sitting back there has dissipated. Combine this with other interests on my part (including a large number of other cars) and a pristine Mondial that I don't want to scratch, and the car just sits. I'm in the process of paring and refining my collection. The car really should be enjoyed by someone else. If I sell it along with a few other vehicles, I'll probably seek out a nice 550 though......

Getting back to the main point of my initial post, I'm considering consigning the car. Can anyone recommend a consignment facility in Los Angeles that would be qualified to sell a very nice Mondial cab? Thanks again for all the comments and feedback!