Best material to refinish a cement garage floor ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best material to refinish a cement garage floor ?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by rocketman, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Harkins

John Harkins Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    John W Harkins
    You will get lots of good recommendations for the epoxy flooring. Mine is 18 y.o and it looks new. One great thing about the epoxy flooring is that you just use ammonia to clean up. Every oil stain or grease drops, anything will clean up easily. Do not use regular household cleaners. Otherwise, it will get slippery.

2. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Polyaspartic is another option, although I'm not familiar with any of them through personal use. I'm probably a year away from the same decision however.

3. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    I had the epoxy and was very unhappy, maybe my concrete was too old or it was a poor install?
    Then I laid down WeatherTech tiles and am very happy with my do it yourself project. Soft on the feet and warm in winter though edges sometimes buckle in sun, as previously mentioned.

4. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Ceramic chemistry has been great, 5 garages coated. I think the most important aspect of getting a coating that will last is the concrete prep—> grinding. Don’t consider anything that doesn’t include concrete grinding. My floors were never driven on and it was imported to get surface right. 16 years and still perfect with floor jacks etc. power washes. Also make sure they go up the side wall ~ 6 inches so the bug and water aren’t a future problem at the join of wall and floor

5. psbroberg

psbroberg Rookie

Sep 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    peter broberg
    I used a company called Garage Living. They had many colors to choose from. I chose a bluish color. After diamond grinding the surface smooth and filling expansion joints, a Rhino Floortex coating was applied with hermetic flakes was spread over entire floor then a clearcoat. 24 hours later it was better than I imagined. The warranty says anything (oil, gas) can just be wiped up. Best thing I could have done to my garage.

6. sintersource1

sintersource1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2010
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Stewart Davis
    We had an older concrete floor and after Grinding, the flooring contractor recommended staining instead of epoxy. They used Ameripolish stain, and in a blue green coloration and then went over with a semigloss clear. 11 years and color looks good and clean up is easy, it is not as shiny as an epoxy.

7. Scott S

Scott S Rookie

Apr 7, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Severson
    I installed Race Deck about 5-7 years ago as well. Have since installed two lifts on it with no issues. It can be a bit noisy to walk on, but I placed landscaping fabric on top of the concrete before installing the tiles which was a great suggestion from another Race Deck user. I'm in Wisconsin, and there have been no issues with road salt.

8. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I am keeping mine as is because I drive in and out everyday and can’t keep up with having it clean at all times. Also some of the epoxy finishes are really slippery and can cause a fall. If you do epoxy go with the best brand. Longevity on the hardware store brands may be shorter than you like and they peel off after a while.

9. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Whatever I wind up choosing will be done by a professional so I certainly will question if they are using a top tier commercial product.
    The choices are dizzying.
    If I want to use ceramic tile can it be laid by any good ceramic installer ?
    Will they know the nuances associated with doing a cement garage floor vs. a kitchen floor ?

10. wlemasters

wlemasters Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Fallbrook, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill LeMasters
    I have done three different garages with epoxy and had one done "professionally". In my case I used and oil base epoxy and a clear coat with perfect results. The professional insisted on using a water based epoxy, it was a disaster. I go on line to look for the best epoxy paint, I rent a sanding buffer to prep. the concrete (even new) and I follow the instructions for the paint. It works great.

11. Karelg

Karelg Rookie

Nov 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Karel G
    I used porcelain tile. It looks awesome and it is very easy to clean. Very hard and durable. Just make sure when you work on something you don't drop any heavy tools on it. It could crack.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melvok and Scudmsl like this.
  12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have had epoxy in previous garage. Was OK, but aged. Moved to a new house 3 years ago and built a new garage for the toys. I chose a concrete stain with a light sealant over it. You can get a myriad of colors and patterns. Mine is more of a marble type appearance. I think it looks great and has been very durable - no issues. I am very happy I chose this. Was going to go with tile, but tile is a more expensive option. Stain was very reasonably priced.

13. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  14. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Though they are still covered with builder's dust in these photos from our garage build.....
    Lifts are great too if you have the ceiling hight.

15. Louis Basten

Louis Basten Rookie

Oct 29, 2020
    Amherst Virginia
    Full Name:
    Louis Basten
    #40 Louis Basten, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    I used Torginol, see web page: Torginol, Inc. – Enhance Your Environment . It is sprayed on, cleans easily and looks exceptionally good. If you are driving a Ferrari don't worry about the cost. Incidentally, that is a LHM hydraulic leak under the drivers side door. The other noticeable discolorations are water and trash related. All these will clean up quickly leaving the floor like new.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Stankil

Stankil Rookie

Jul 31, 2010
    I did it myself with a kit I bought st Lowes. It was on a 3 month old corvette floor. It is now 3 years old and has stood up very well. Rustoleum was the brand and they offer a touch up kit. I also clear coated and noticed the sun has faded the pad outside the garage door.

17. pchflyer

pchflyer Rookie

May 7, 2014
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Lance Betson
    Have epoxy floor and even the wife loves it. Did have some initial issues with hot tires on it which left marks but the installer came back and they fixed the entire floor and no problems since - they said it was their fault. only issues are with the small flakes - while it looks good, finding small pieces dropped on the floor can be a nightmare.

18. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    One professional contractor I'm talking with ( who's business is doing only Epoxy floors ) says he doesn't have to do anything to the expansion joints and that nothing is laid down over the cement prior to the epoxy and that the epoxy chemically bonds directly to the cement.
    Does that sound right ?
    What are the critical factors in the preparation for Epoxy ?

Going to look at porcelain tile also.
    If I read correctly the critical factors are that it should be thru and thru color, 4 or 5 rating, and something about the slipperiness factor.
    What are the critical factors involved with preparation for tile by the contractor ?

19. jnunberg

jnunberg Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    USA
    ewright, Xrayv8, Solid State and 2 others like this.
  20. hdrosen

hdrosen Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
  21. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #46 rocketman, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Thanks. Will give them a all to see if they service my area.

What was their fault that they had to fix that contributed to the "hot tire" issues ?

Anybody know if Epoxy should be done only if the ambient temp is in a certain range ?

22. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
  23. boeckhone@msn.com

May 4, 2017
    I like your Lift! What is the max height (Floor to oil pan)?

24. mat.f430

mat.f430 Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Any xylene based garage floor 'stain' is easy to apply. I put mine down 30 years ago.

25. Dodger

Dodger Rookie

Jan 17, 2014