Best looking Group-C cars? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Best looking Group-C cars?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BlueBiturbo, Oct 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

Nice pics, but that isn't a Group-C car....

2. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    True. It's a GTS car I know. Just thought i'd sneak it in LOL

3. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    There was a MC12 at PIR for the ALMS race a few months ago. It looked pretty cool and the sound was awesome.

4. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Arent they nice. Maybe it was the same one? The event at Mosport here was also ALMS. :)

5. azbobbybooshay10

Jun 4, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Bobby Patricca
    The Porsche GT1 (GT1 class) did a backflip during the 1998 Petit LeMans. I tried to find still pictures, but only found links to videos that won't run in Firefox.

6. nunojcmaia

nunojcmaia Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    porto - portugal
    Full Name:
    nuno maia
    Does anyone got pics of Ferraris racing in Canam series back in the 60', like 612 or 712 ?

7. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    for me there are some absolute CLASSIC auto designs: Jag XKE, Lambo Muira and without a doubt the GT40.

8. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Yep they were the same one. #35
    I'd post my pictures of it but I dont have a digital camera. There was a silver Saleen S7R at the race too. The sound was amazing.

9. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Basiccally anything goes, as long as it is not an F1 / single seater car, this is just for fun anyway. Open top / fixed foor does not matter

10. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #60 BlueBiturbo, Nov 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    #61 ClassicFerrari, Nov 8, 2005
    Yep. That was another great site!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the cool thread...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    That's "The James Munroe McLaren GT"; do a little Googling and you may find out how you too can finance a year of sportscar racing.........;-)

(actually I checked and you can't.....so:
    www.pkf.co.uk/download/ff5.pdf

Paul M

13. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    #63 senna21, Nov 9, 2005
  14. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mercedes started the flip thing in '85 when a Sauber (which had a MB motor and from whence the MB chassis came) did an end over end flip during qualifying. This made a big impression on me at the time - I was in a Spice, stomping on the brakes at the end of the straight, when suddenly the car behind vanished from my mirrors. The next time I glanced in them there were bits raining down, and then the car nosed in, and then took off again! I turned the corner and lost sight of the wreckage. A lap later I saw the driver (a Dane? Neilson??) getting out of the bits - he was O.K. Sauber pulled the cars from the race. I was surprised when, in later years, the same sort of accident kept happening. I later heard that the crash was caused by air getting under the car's nose (there was a bump in the tarmac as you started to brake), the front losing down force and the rear wing, which was behind the rear axle, pushing down so hard it levered the nose right up - which caused the flip.

15. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
    could someone please tell me more about this one??

16. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The shot of the ‘82 Aston was taken at Silverstone in early season testing I seem to remember. Aston was always running out of loot and couldn’t actually get the cars to the circuits come race season. I saw the end of this Aston effort too, through a windscreen! It was a hell of a smash. I think they were called the Aston Martin Nimrod cars. John Sheldon, a dentist and a really nice fellow, piled it up at the kink in the Mulsanne in ‘84. I remember he burnt his hands and couldn’t work for a while. I think the other car, which was being drive by a really nice American - Chris Olsen(?), was also damaged in the bang. That was the end of both chassis. Two more Astons C1 followed, the Cheetah and the EMKA. The EMKA led Le Mans briefly, but that was due to a canny fueling policy that put it out on half a tank at one point, leaving it out of phase with the front runners, and thus able to lead. I raced the car in the Brands endurance that year. Not the nicest car to drive, no front brakes.

17. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hi,
    It was indeed Danish driver John Nielsen in the Sauber back in 1985.....the car was thrown 38 metres up in the air before chrashing down, and Nielsen told me that he knew that it was going to say BANG when he would hit the ground, so he used the time in the air preparing himself for the harsh landing by pulling his legs up and putting his head between the legs, and then his arms arround the knees!!! Quite impressive to stay that calm in such situation!!!!
    In fact John Nielsen won the Le Mans in the Silk Cut Jaguar in 1990! He still drives in the National Danish Touringcar championship serie with some success!!!

Best

Carsten

18. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
    some great info
    thanks guys

19. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Click here to learn more about how and why the Mercedes CLR Flip'd at Le Mans

What was amazing about the Merc CLRs was that not one but two of them flipped that weekend! Which is why they were pulled from the race. The other one wound up off the track in the trees. Here's the video of it: http://xrefill.com/mercedes/crash.htm Luckily it landed right side up without hitting any thing or one. All that money spent and they wound up with an inherent high speed instability problem. OOOoops!

20. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    But the worst was yet to come...

MB claimed the flips were caused by the uneven track top and that the "mulsanne bump" was potentially life threatening.

Long debates with the ACO, the organizers of the 24 Hours, and MB makeing a strong case to lower the bump (IMHO one of the best features of the track).

Finally the ACO gave in and the bump was lowered...

And then? MB withdrew from endurance racing before having covered a single mile on the "new" track with the lowered bump!

SHAME!

21. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    When Peter Dumbreck had his blowover about 7 or 8 years ago along the Mulsanne straight, and the car landed in the woods, after he climebed out of the car unscathed the French authorities gave him a breathalizer test to see if he was under the influence of alcohol, which they are required to do any thime there is an accident on a French highway, which the Mulsanne is a part of. Peter was quite amazed at this, asking them if they thought he had had a few pints before getting in the car for a stint.

22. Michael Blue

Michael Blue Rookie

Nov 17, 2005
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Michael
  23. Eau_Rouge

Eau_Rouge Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Benelux / France
    Wasn't group C between 1982 and 1993?

My choice would be without doubt the Porsche 962. Check out this link for an amazing video of Derek Bell around Le Mans. I have to check my emails later for reference, but the top speed reached was insane. Around 340 km/h.. at times single handed.

http://www.viciracing.com/films/porsche962.mpg